Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Customer Service - A thing of the past

As a grumpy old git I often rue the changes in society. One big hate of the world today is how everybody wants your money but also want to do as little as possible for it. Just come back from holiday and park and ride company damaged my car, mother (who is in a wheelchair) phoned today to say carers she relies on and pays for hadn't arrived, after cancelling CAFC player, rejoined so that I could listen to games on my holiday - waste of time as was yesterday - service terrible- several minutes behind and kept stopping!!! Is it me or is everything now completely sh*t?

Comments

• Bad customer service is defined, designed and delivered by CarPhoneWarehouse

No one else comes close
  • Standards have gone out of the window, IMO.
    Amazon are the latest to join my list of poor customer servers, along with B&Q, Halfords and Currys.

What happened to 'the customer is king'.

However, on the other side of the coin I've recently had some excellent customer service from 'Eltham Leisure' at the Library and Sainsbury's in Camden. Couldn't do enough for you.

• There is also, in my opinion, a philosophical element to this in terms of attitude to work.

Do you see yourself as paid to do a job or to be present for a given number of hours?

The former attitude leads to better customer service.
  • Surely no-one can be worse than Ryanair for customer service, closely followed by Opodo and Easycar- absolutely appalling to the point that none of them will see my money ever again.
  • When it comes to the crunch cost reduction will always trump customer service for big companies. 'World class' = acceptable service.
  • edited August 2015

Surely no-one can be worse than Ryanair for customer service, closely followed by Opodo and Easycar- absolutely appalling to the point that none of them will see my money ever again.

That is the only thing they understand. Complaining about the service, the product etc and going back week after week month after month sort of defeats the object. If everyone stops paying Sky TV or for warm beer at Charlton, crap service from Ryanair or whoever it maybe then watch things change.

• Surely no-one can be worse than Ryanair for customer service, closely followed by Opodo and Easycar- absolutely appalling to the point that none of them will see my money ever again.

Sorry, i was overrating them with 'appalling' - non-existent is what i meant to say.
  • When it comes to the crunch cost reduction will always trump customer service for big companies. 'World class' = acceptable service.

This. It's all about providing the cheapest and least time consuming methods of service acceptable to consumers. Nothing new. Having worked in retail I can say it has been the way for some time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had a problem with my jawbone up24 that I use for my walking ( it logs the steps I take), emailed them during the week, had a reply and a phone call, they are sending me a replacement.

• cafc999 said:

Yodel - That is all

Awful Company including blatant lies.
  • Benson Beds, do not touch them. Bought a bed in there about 6 weeks ago after being assured by the saleswoman it was real wood and not MDF. Found out on internet she was wrong and it was MDF, cancelled the bed because I believed we had been wrongly informed when we purchased. They said it would cost 20% of the total cost to cancel, which was about £100. I emailed their head office in disgust a month ago, no answer, emailed again two weeks ago, still no answer, do not expect one now. I know I can try the small claims court, but why should I?
  • Agree with Henners. Customer service is generally better now than it was 20 years ago.
  • When queuing in a bank or shop and instead of the employee saying "next please" saying "are you alright there " and the irony when a request has resulted in a "no" answer instead of sorry getting "is there anything else I can help you with" , should have put this on the things that annoy you thread !
  • In total agreement with Mutts & Len.

Our recent brushes with a local Estate Agent( minimal service & grudging responses to queries despite earning £7,000 from our upcoming sale) and DartTag ( pathetic customer help phoneline service) have reduced me to a gibbering wreck of late.

I'm fast becoming a grumpy old woman.
  • Agree on DartTag, took 5 weeks to swap my car over. Then they swapped it back again after 2 without me asking. Still waiting for it to be corrected!!

For me, can't beat John Lewis or Costco for good customer service.
  • Sponsored links:

• British Airways have been absolutely brilliant to me through the years - whereas , Emirates - pah, dont touch them with a barge-pole- absolute pile of dog-shit.
  • British Airways have been absolutely brilliant to me through the years - whereas , Emirates - pah, dont touch them with a barge-pole- absolute pile of dog-shit.

Sorry Mr President, Love Emirates and wouldn't fly BA for free. Lol..............
    The only thing that gets me down is the constant stream of Arsenal pictures everywhere. :(
  • The problem with customer service is that there is no real competition these days. Major businesses rarely advertise on TV these days, they just factor in to their sales budgets that they will lose a portion of custom each year.
  • edited August 2015
    T.C.E said:

British Airways have been absolutely brilliant to me through the years - whereas , Emirates - pah, dont touch them with a barge-pole- absolute pile of dog-shit.

Sorry Mr President, Love Emirates and wouldn't fly BA for free. Lol..............
    The only thing that gets me down is the constant stream of Arsenal pictures everywhere. :(
    Emirates refuse to give me back 600 pounds they owe me , and 1) refuse to answer my emails and 2) Lied to me when i confronted them by banging their desk at Heathrow by saying 'it was being dealt with ' - a bigger pile of liars and shiisters there isnt. Please,please,please dont use them.
    And when 'stranded' in Cape Town by an Airline going bust, BA went out of their way to get me home (it was like the Dunkirk spirit) for the lowest published fare they could - so consequently flew home from CT for 120 pounds !
  • T.C.E said:

British Airways have been absolutely brilliant to me through the years - whereas , Emirates - pah, dont touch them with a barge-pole- absolute pile of dog-shit.

Emirates refuse to give me back 600 pounds they owe me , and 1) refuse to answer my emails and 2) Lied to me when i confronted them by banging their desk at Heathrow by saying 'it was being dealt with ' - a bigger pile of liars and shiisters there isnt. Please,please,please dont use them.
    And when 'stranded' in Cape Town by an Airline going bust, BA went out of their way to get me home (it was like the Dunkirk spirit) for the lowest published fare they could - so consequently flew home from CT for 120 pounds !
    No problem Mr President we fly out to Bali in two weeks with Malaysian Airlines what do we have to worry about? ;)

• Customer service is alive and we'll and lives at Samsonite. It has a golden rule. Do unto others as you would have them do to you.
    If you call them and ask for a set of wheels or a handle for a 20 year plus hard shell case, they will send them. They won't charge you or ask you to pay P & P. If I ever need a new case, I know where I'll get it. (And therein lies the problem I suppose, with the "if".)
  • In total agreement with Mutts & Len.

Our recent brushes with a local Estate Agent( minimal service & grudging responses to queries despite earning £7,000 from our upcoming sale) and DartTag ( pathetic customer help phoneline service) have reduced me to a gibbering wreck of late.

I'm fast becoming a grumpy old woman.

Perhaps, you used to be a grumpy young woman when service was poor many years ago. :)
  • Remember the good old days when it took months to get a phone installed (kids, ask your grandparents), banks would only give you one cheque book etc etc.

A lot of businesses are a lot better, some are still terrible.
  • T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

No problem Mr President we fly out to Bali in two weeks with Malaysian Airlines what do we have to worry about? ;)

Ahhh, Bali. The most beautiful and softest people on the planet - oh how i adored my time there.
    Dont forget to get your hand-carved Garuda - i still have mine alongside my TV some 25 years later that i bought for 25 dollars plus my shirt in Ubud.