Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blitz Cities: London

2»

Comments

• Options
    Tom Hovi said:

That's excellent Red Robin - the bomb damage maps for the Boroughs of Greenwich & Woolwich are available to view at the Heritage Centre down at Woolwich Arsenal.

I've attached an extract that shows The Village and Charlton House.
    No problem. I'm pretty sure this was posted on here a while back, but there's also an interactive site that allows you to explore the Blitz - http://www.bombsight.org/#15/51.5050/-0.0900
  • Options
    Tom Hovi said:

Thanks Tom, I love this stuff. Anything from the war and into the early 1960's. My late mum's, mum and dad ran the Yacht pub in Long Lane, Bexleyheath during and after the war. Mum was born in Plumstead and my dear old dad in Camberwell.

Remember, as a kid, growing up in Bexleyheath, the bomb site where Wise furniture / bed store has now been for over 50 years.

Will certainly order a copy of Red Alert.

Thanks again.

Also this book co-authored by Clive, which features a Blackheath & Greenwich walk that we still do from time to time

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wander-Through-Wartime-London-Revisiting/dp/1848841728
    Thanks for this Tom
  • Options
    Fascinating stuff. Thanks for highlighting it @Tom Hovi
    Watched the London one yesterday and just watched Liverpool. Pretty emotional stuff despite the sometimes staged method of interviewing (more by Ritchie than Tomlinson) The bit with Stan Boardman had tears welling up in my eyes. As did the lady with the crazy make up. Puts a lot of things into perspective!
  • Options
    100 years ago yesterday, Heinrich Mathy killed 26 Londoners from his Zeppelin. Surprised the first Blitz hasn't had a mention.
  • Options
    Found Shane Ritchie really irritating for some reason, thought he dumbed it down - while playing the "gor' blimey guv'nor" card to its fullest extent.
  • Options

Watched the London one yesterday and just watched Liverpool. Pretty emotional stuff despite the sometimes staged method of interviewing (more by Ritchie than Tomlinson) The bit with Stan Boardman had tears welling up in my eyes. As did the lady with the crazy make up. Puts a lot of things into perspective!

Oakster said:

Found Shane Ritchie really irritating for some reason, thought he dumbed it down - while playing the "gor' blimey guv'nor" card to its fullest extent.

This and this.

Unfortunately, Shane Ritchie spoiled the London episode, mainly due to a lack of intelligence.

Tomlinson & Boardman were excellent.
  • Options

My wife reckoned the crazy make up lady was in the style of Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra.
  • Options
    I think it's been quite well done all things considered. Shame they felt they had to go down the 'lets have a celebrity introducing each programme' route but that's the way it is these days. In real life, Shane Ritchie actually came across as quite a nice guy but seemed to up the 'cor blimey' bit when he went in front of the cameras. He was very respectful and pleasant towards the eye-witnesses off screen as well as on.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

100 years ago yesterday, Heinrich Mathy killed 26 Londoners from his Zeppelin. Surprised the first Blitz hasn't had a mention.

Heinrich Mathy was dubbed the 'Baby Killer' at the time because of a school that was bombed by his Zeppelin. He also bombed Deptford and Blackheath Village in August 1916. There was a TV programme on BBC4 a couple of years back about him and the Zeppelin raids in general - can't remember what it was called though - something like 'The First Blitz' I think.
  • Options
    Tom Hovi said:

PopIcon said:

Heinrich Mathy was dubbed the 'Baby Killer' at the time because of a school that was bombed by his Zeppelin. He also bombed Deptford and Blackheath Village in August 1916. There was a TV programme on BBC4 a couple of years back about him and the Zeppelin raids in general - can't remember what it was called though - something like 'The First Blitz' I think.
    Superb documentary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MAWFYtiMWQ
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for posting this @I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY - was longer ago than I thought but a superb piece of work and a reminder that you don't need the celeb front person on a programme like this.
  • Options

Tom Hovi said:

PopIcon said:

Superb documentary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MAWFYtiMWQ
    Great share, I'll have to give that a watch.