Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why Does It Feel Different This Season?

Comments

• Options
    why ? .. because we have a team that looks VERY together and well bonded under a revelation of a terrific manager, new players so far look like fantastic bargains and shrewd deals .. we're playing good football and have taken points from fancied teams with good pedigrees .. this reminds me so much of Powell's new model army .. except .. a LOT better
  • Options
    From what I hear women say, a lot of Addicks are well versed in premature excitement.

At least I think they said Addicks and excitement?
  • Options
    Kashi is better than Buyens, Makionek better than George,Watt fitter than Vetokele (hopefully)-all other positions at least as good as the first team last season.
    But the squad as a whole is still 2 experienced players light.
  • Options
    We seem to have at least 3 players this season who would not be out of place in a prem side - Bauer, Kashi & JBG whereas last year I would have only said that about JBG
  • Options
    I never really took to Peeter’s game plan. Remember, our possession stats rarely rose above 40 percent. TBF he had a some success in the early days, but the old Italian slow, slow, quick quick slow style suited neither Charlton Athletic or British football (imo).

Luzon has reintroduced a bit of blood and thunder into the side - epitomised by Saturday’s performance. Every ball contested, desired and fought for - the work rate and will to win - in 30 degree temperatures quite awesome. The ‘feel good’ factor is high. It is easy to get behind a team like this, long may it continue.
  • Options
    last season home games against all three relegated teams got us four points, we already have six. Last season we lost at Derby, as you know we drew up there this time, and Forest away is the same result.
    So far you could argue that we are three points better off. If we lose at Wolves, but beat Rotherham at home that will represent another point gained compared to last season, indeed, one win from those two matches would be a gain, two draws a neutral.
    Compared to last season things are already 40 odd percent better. Which exceeds the target I personally have of about a 20% improvement. So it all feels a whole lot better to me.
  • Options
    Definitely early days. Last year I thought at this stage of the season Bikey and JBG looked sound and a lot of the other players looked touch and go with the exception of vetokele who looked dynamite then.

This year, nearly all the new players look more accomplished. Bauer is very very good, kashi is very good, jbg remains very very good, watt is very good when fit and motivated (slight concerns about how often those two align), Diarra has a lot of quality and is doing a superb job out of position, fox has improved immeasurably, I rarely am out of my seat shouting 'come on fox' these days, supporting players also look like they have something about them.

We no longer feel like an appendage to Standard Liege as its been sold.

Continued investment in the ground.

The football has been exciting and generally of good quality, the bits I've seen.

Overall it feels different to me even if it ends up the same.
  • Options
    Last year I felt we were always going to dip... This season I had low expectations, but the league is tight, we've beaten two relegated teams and drew away at good teams... I think there's potential
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We do have a team that looks very together at the moment. The Championship is demanding though. So it all depends on how they stand the pace and what backups we have when injuries occur which they will. Our subs on Saturday were very inexperienced so that is a concern and I'm sure GL knows that.
  • Options
    As we were told by all the Hull fans during the game...... "You only sing when you're winning".

And long may it continue................. :smile:
  • Options

I think there is a danger that we going a bit overboard like some did last year.

Remember one poster was claiming Bob Peters was the third best manager in our history this time last year.

I think our squad is stronger now than then but injuries can soon bring us down.

Let's give it 10 games and see where we are.

Ye but Guy Luzon is the third best manager in our history.
  • Options
    For me the big difference is that last year we were hanging on to draws. Last year's team (and management set-up) would have taken the point when we conceded. The determination of the players and Luzon's comments on the C5 program are completely different.

The team have a more 'aggressive' attitude. They 'dare to win' as Sven used to say.

It feels different. That doesn't mean to say that it will end up different but I'd take mid table and development over the season.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

Still feel different?

Thanks for reminding us, C_A_F_C !

• Options
    edited September 2015
    C_A_F_C said:

Still feel different?

Certainly different from how I felt after 5 games, Danny Baker always said Charlton went up like a balloon, and down like a stick.

Still the good news just keeps on coming, just heard Oliver Giroud has been sent off for Arsenal. He went in my dream team as an emergency transfer 2 days ago....
  • Options
    I know its pure coincidence but since that Palace draw its gone off the rails. Wolves was ok but we deserved no more than a draw, same with Rotherham and I did not see last night. Fully expect a repeat of last season up at Blackburn and then yes the feel good factor that I did feel really has gone. Couldn't care less about Palace because even a win will still only be League Cup win. It just seems we are revisiting last season albeit we could be approaching the bleak winless winter already? Come on Guy, you can sort it out...
  • Options
    yes, its different this season.......its worse !!!
  • Options

yes, its different this season.......its worse !!!

Yes, last year we were unbeaten in the league until October 18th. I remember us winning at Reading at the start of November, the away fans chanting Bob's name, and everything looking good...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Things don't feel THAT much different from last season. Just like last, we have a big crop of new players that need time to gel. We have the potential to win games and also all the same vulnerabilities that end in defeat in equal measure. I suspect we will struggle to actually go to the next level when we give managers no time for that vital season of 'gelling' before the star player ( Joe Gomez) last season and next season (Gudmundsson, Cousins et al) are released and yet another gelling has to take place. To that end predicting anything other than Win 14 Draw 14 Lose 14 is proving very difficult for this current season's forecast.
  • Options
    It feels far worse than last season - maybe Jose Riga can return?
  • Options
    Feels the same, great start playing really good football, then for no reason looking like a pile of dog shit.
  • Options
    I must say I think it feels much worse this season, Igor is already injured, Watt is already even more unfit that usual and losing interest rapidly.
    Might as well demote us now and get in out the way... ;)
  • Options

I must say I think it feels much worse this season, Igor is already injured, Watt is already even more unfit that usual and losing interest rapidly.

No you've got to sit through the rest of the season!
  • Options
    It feels exactly like last season now, a promising start, then total disaster. In fact its even worse than last season as its started earlier!
  • Options

Leave it out Harry Boy ?

Some of us had the Kahunas to bet on CAFC to finish in the top 12.

I blame the Sofa.

• Options

It feels exactly like last season now, a promising start, then total disaster. In fact its even worse than last season as its started earlier!

That just means that instead of having to wait until February for our form to improve, we can expect our fortunes to change in October which will give us plenty of time to make a push for the play-offs! :smile:
  • Options
    I wish it could be August 24th every day...