Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Alcides Ghiggia

I was recently given a book of short South American football stories called "The Football Cronicas". One of them is called "Run, Ghiggia, Run" and is about the scorer of Uruguay's winning goal in the 1950 World Cup final in Brazil (known to Brazilians as the Maracanazo and a traumatic memory for them all, even those far too young to have seen it).
Ghiggia died in July, the last surviving member of the teams that played in that final. And I discovered a Charlton connection - in 1953 he signed for Roma (and later played for Italy). His first game was described as a friendly with "the English team Charlton Athletic". So, we were the first European team he played against.

I've not found any record of the game on the web or in any books I've got. Anyone know anything about it?

Comments

• edited August 2015
    This came up in google straight away, 4 June 1953, Roma 4 Charlton 2, att. 55,000.

Team Uytenbogaardt, Hewie, Lock, Fenton, Ufton, Hammond, Ayres, Evans, Leary, Firmani, Kiernan.

Goals Pandolfini 6', Ayres 33'; HT 1-1
    Fenton 69', Renosto 71 and 79, Pedrazzoli 89.

"Charlton's first goal arrived after 33 minutes. The build-up was most beautiful (a passing movement across the field between Kiernan, Leary and Ayres) and a shot from the right surprised Tessari [goalie who was subbed], who made a vain attempt to deny his opponent the goal. It has to be noted, though, that the whole Roma defence was beaten."

"After a solo run, Fenton scored with a fireball from about 20 metres. Albani [substitute keeper] didn't even move."

www.asromaultras.org/52-53.html

Unfortunately, the links on many images don't work any more.

• edited August 2015
    I think Seb and Headphones Norm were there.
  • imageimage

Matt Tees medal from a later Roma v Charlton friendly.

Donated by Matt to the Charlton Athletic Museum

• "After a solo run, Fenton scored with a fireball from about 20 metres. Albani [substitute keeper] didn't even move."

Seems hyperbole started well before Sky came on the scene.
  • Thought this was going to be another 'has anyone been diagnosed with...' thread