Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Walshy: Paul Walsh plugging his Book on TalkSport.

Great insight into the world of Football in Paul's 17 year career.
From being rejected for being too small by everyone at 14 and only CAFC giving him a chance.
Making his debut from the bench at 16 (only one sub in those days) for Dick Tydeman.
Getting a phone call at his parents house and his mum saying a David Pleats on the Phone( Luton manager at time)
The archaic medical facilities at Liverpool, when Roy Evans(who went on to be manager) ran on with a cold wet sponge and started twisted his ankle around despite Paul having a bad injury. Later Ronnie Moran would give ultra sound with a machine that wasn't working and while reading the sporting life, Paul had to tell him it was his ankle not his knee. Paul missed 7 months of his career.
The feeling that Terry Venables was too weak with the players and allowed a drink culture to develop at Spurs(Lineker and Mabbutt the only two who didn't join in) Paul felt he never played that well for Spurs, but even after scoring a hat trick, he wasn't picked the next weak.
His regret at telling Bobby Robson that he wouldn't play for England U21 because he was knacked after playing 70 odd games that season.
The fact that he never really slowed down, until he met his wife and had kids at Portsmouth,
and how he enjoyed his time at Man city even thou he was 32 and coming to the End.
He's pleased he works in the media and not coaching as too many people get sacked through no fault of their own.
Quoted Brentford as example with Warburton.

Came across as a 50 plus Ex Footballer that regrets that he didn't become an England regular, but is honest enough to admit that was his own fault up to a point.

I first saw Paul as a small 15 year old score a hatrick at Sparrows lane against Chelsea when i lived with my parents a 10 minute bike ride away. he was the best young player i seen in the youth team until Joe Gomez came along.

Do any of you other Middle aged Or Older CL have Memories of Walshy. i Know he used to drink in a pub in Bexleyheath when he was a teenager at CAFC.

Comments

• I remember he left to go to Luton of all places! Madness
  • Fabulous player; I still have a video clip of him playing for Luton at Liverpool (3-3 draw) where he made one amazing turn to set up a goal (him, Moss and Stein up front were pretty good!). Saw and remember his debut, his hat-trick versus Brentford, and his brilliant display at Chelsea where he scored both goals in a 2-2 draw. A steal for Luton when he left, but we needed the money. Never felt he paid Charlton the respect he should have as an ex-Addick who gave him his chance, but he had a pretty amazing career.

They were a top division team then but it did seem a strange move,
    Maybe their first season in top flight.

• Did he score a couple against Sheff Wed in a cup-tie? Was a great young player for Charlton.
  • Pedro45 said:

Fabulous player; I still have a video clip of him playing for Luton at Liverpool (3-3 draw) where he made one amazing turn to set up a goal (him, Moss and Stein up front were pretty good!). Saw and remember his debut, his hat-trick versus Brentford, and his brilliant display at Chelsea where he scored both goals in a 2-2 draw. A steal for Luton when he left, but we needed the money. Never felt he paid Charlton the respect he should have as an ex-Addick who gave him his chance, but he had a pretty amazing career.

Is that the one where he dumps Mark Lawrenson on the ground?
  • Have that feeling that Walsh would have been an even better player nowadays with the change in systems. He wasn't really an out an out forward, wide player or midfielder so 4-4-2 didn't really play to his strengths but, in behind the front player or one of a front three would have suited.
  • edited August 2015
    According to our Handbook from Saturday Paul Scored 31 from 98 games with 2 sub Apps, over 3 seasons and still left when he was 19 ! (including cup games)
  • I remember his hat trick against Brentford, in one of his first games for us.

I remember he was the most skilful player I'd seen playing for Charlton.

I remember telling him to do one, when he tried to gatecrash a party in Plumstead. Don't you know who I am ?
    I'm Paul Walsh. Yeah, bye.

I know but Luton! ( it's a Bedfordshire thing)
  • Thought he was excellent for us and so exciting to watch. I know he was an Abbey Wood lad and one of his earliest coaches was the dad of a lad from my class.

Always feel that he has a downer on Charlton during his punditry though. Maybe I am being selective, but doesn't matter how well we play it's actually the other side who are poor and he has little positive to say about us.

For that reason, I also have a bit of a downer on him!
  • Sponsored links:

• one of our best ever youth products .. sounds as though he was yet another 70s/80s prodigy ruined by booze and a 'laddish' attitude
  • great favourite of mine whilst he was with us ... the move to Luton was wierd despite their top-flight status at the time.

He does seem to have 'dismissed' us from his career since he has been in the media and shows little interest in our club but he won't be the first. Once we are back in the premiership he will remember which club kicked-off his career :wink:

I know but Luton! ( it's a Bedfordshire thing)
    Gave you a LOL a few minutes after your post when i remembered my geography.

• I wonder if he does give CAFC any credit in his book for giving him a chance in Football ?
    I was hoping he would on the radio.
    If not we Know which CL regular is too blame :smile:

• Did he score a couple against Sheff Wed in a cup-tie? Was a great young player for Charlton.

That was an early season game at the Valley, we won 3-0. One of the goals was a cross that Bob Bolder punched onto Walsh's head and flew into the net.

Me too... one reason why I can't get too upset about our youngsters joining Liverpool. At least Anfield is a genuine step up...
  • It wasn't just Walshy going to Luton For Peanuts that was the wind up.
    Paul Elliott, the other great young talent made the same trip.
    Good days, my Arse.
  • Right up there with Morts and Simmo as one of the most skillful player I've seen play for us. I also remember his hat trick v Brentford. Most of all I remember his unique style of twisting and turning with the ball the moment he received it, which used to mesmerise defenders. Was gutted when he and Elliot were flogged far too cheaply to Luton. Didn't we get Steve White in return? he was a decent forward as well.
  • Remember his debut - I was stood at the front of East Terrace behind the little iron railings. His shirt sleeves were too long for him!
  • Sponsored links:

• Paul Walsh was never afraid to express himself (a bit like Tony Watt) he played in the same district side as my brother and in one match he was just head and shoulders above anyone ...honestly it was like Messi against a sunday side ,i knew hed be good ,i honestly thought he d achieve more than he did .

shame he didnt play more for charlton
  • Plumstead boy and went to Woolwich Poly - my last year there in the Upper Sixth was his first year.

As others have said, fabulously skillful player and one of the best I've seen in a Charlton shirt.
  • I really do see the comparison with Tony Watt and the young paul Walsh.
    They both seemed quicker when the ball was at their feet, opposed to when they had to run for it.
  • Very good player and had a more than a half decent career but never really achieved the heights it should of. Perhaps because of his Johnny big potatoes attitude. I heard through an ex player of some of his off field life while at Spurs, not what you expect of well paid footballer. My sister had the pleasure of meeting him once when he was playing for us, she was less than complementary about him.
    Good player, average pundit, small man.
  • I played golf with him last year - came across as a complete nobhead to be honest.

Little praise for Charlton, slagged off anyone with a different opinion to him.
  • Swisdom said:

I played golf with him last year - came across as a complete nobhead to be honest.

Little praise for Charlton, slagged off anyone with a different opinion to him.

I knew there was a reason why i liked him.

• Heard Hawksbee plugging this at the start of the show. Mentioned the long list of Walsh's clubs. No mention of us though, quel supreez.
  • I'm pretty sure that he played a couple of times in 79-80, a dire relegation campaign, but Mike Bailey started with him he following season and he never looked back. A bit like Lee Bowyer, he seemed to have an incredible awareness at a young age of what was going on around him and the right place to be on the pitch.

He was one of those players it was a pleasure to watch, his dribbling and close control was tremendous, his other real strength was that he could smash a shot with virtually no backlift. That first season he came up against a lot of "uncompromising" defenders and tied most of them in knots.
  • I've met him a few times. The man is a prick to be honest. I work with someone who knows him quite well too and he quantified my opinion of him. Whilst not as arseholey as some people within his clique he is a dick as far as I'm concerned.

I remember him playing against us for Portsmouth but him playing for us was a tad before my time.

• TelMc32 said:

Thought he was excellent for us and so exciting to watch. I know he was an Abbey Wood lad and one of his earliest coaches was the dad of a lad from my class.

Always feel that he has a downer on Charlton during his punditry though. Maybe I am being selective, but doesn't matter how well we play it's actually the other side who are poor and he has little positive to say about us.

For that reason, I also have a bit of a downer on him!

I went to school with Walshy at Thomas a Becket in Abbey Wood and played in the same school team (he was on a different level even then). The bloke that coached the football teams was a Mr Vosper from Bexleyheath and certainly had a big say in the early development of his career (does that name ring a bell TelMc32)?

Totally agree regarding his punditry, always seems so negative with Charlton, thought it was just me that thought that lol