Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

E bay

I've never sold anything on there before, but wanted to get rid of a couple of rabbit hutches.

So I've opened an account and put them up for auction yesterday.

Someone sent a message offering £10 & collection today & I replied yes, call me.

How does it work from here please ?

If they wanted to give me cash, surely that's not right is it ? Or is it common practice ?

Should I make sure the payment is made via paypal (which was what I set up) ?

If they collect today, am I breaking the rules as the auction is meant to be for 10 days & can I simply remove the item, saying I've changed my mind ?

Apologies for the boring thread, but I haven't got a scooby.

Comments

• Options
    Do whatever you like!
  • Options
    Paypal and eBay take fees, so you get around £7 for your time... That's all I know

• Options
    My wife uses eBay a lot. She says it's technically against eBay rules to end the auction now because you've reached a different offer, but they can't really enforce it. Her alternative was that you can change the auction to be "Buy it now £10" and get the buyer to buy it through that.
    She also said that taking the cash is a better option, as you're more protected.
  • Options

My wife uses eBay a lot. She says it's technically against eBay rules to end the auction now because you've reached a different offer, but they can't really enforce it. Her alternative was that you can change the auction to be "Buy it now £10" and get the buyer to buy it through that.
    She also said that taking the cash is a better option, as you're more protected.

Thanks. So if they turn up & offer £10 in cash, what do I do, as I still have the item up for auction ?
  • Options

Thanks. So if they turn up & offer £10 in cash, what do I do, as I still have the item up for auction ?
    Just end the auction, I suppose. As I say, it's 'against the rules', but I don't see how eBay can realistically enforce that. You might have genuinely changed your mind and taken it off for all they know.
  • Options

Just end the auction early (once they've taken it) from the listing page, they ask you why and you choose from a list saying the item is no longer available.
  • Options
    You can end the auction at any time. There is no legal or moral requirement for you to sell anything if you change your mind.
    The fact that you decide to sell it elsewhere is irrelevant.
    If I want something I see on Ebay, I usually contact the seller direct and ask for a cash-on-collection price.
    If they agree fine - if not - also fine.
  • Options
    Thank you very much everyone. Apologies for being so ignorant.
  • Options

Thank you very much everyone. Apologies for being so ignorant.

Don't apologise, this is a great place to ask questions - see my thread on speed limits!
  • Options
    I'll bid £11 for them
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What time can you get here ?
  • Options
    I have a Nintendo 64 with 4 controllers and about 15 games which I need to move on or turn into ornaments

#swapshop
  • Options
    PL54 said:

I have a Nintendo 64 with 4 controllers and about 15 games which I need to move on or turn into ornaments

#swapshop

They go for a few quid on eBay at the moment
  • Options
    It's my brother's so I'll see if he wants me to ship it to him in Germany or sell it.
  • Options
    It's easy to end an auction early so that's not a problem. As for cash, you won't have to pay ebay or PayPal fees, plus there's not really any comeback for the buyer if he wants to return the item (unless you're a nice chap who'd agree anyway). Only plus with PayPal is at least you've got the money early and they're going to turn up, not potentially wasting your time.
  • Options
    Talal said:

It's easy to end an auction early so that's not a problem.

Easy to end if no bidders i think. But once someone has bid its not so easy but can be done. Also time limits apply. Don't think you can revise an ad in any way during last 24/ 48 hours. Something like that..
  • Options

Talal said:

Easy to end if no bidders i think. But once someone has bid its not so easy but can be done. Also time limits apply. Don't think you can revise an ad in any way during last 24/ 48 hours. Something like that..
    Yes true I assumed no bidders. I've never actually ended one that's had bids so not sure of the process for that.
  • Options
    In my experience, people offer you a buy it now price like that because they want it and think it would be more expensive at auction.

Someone offered me £200 for my car and then ended up paying £280 at auction when I said no.

A couple of things from the above anecdote -

A) for rabbit hutches which are going for a tenner, I imagine you don't care about actually getting £13 at auction, you just want rid.

B) I had a shite car
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LouisMend said:

In my experience, people offer you a buy it now price like that because they want it and think it would be more expensive at auction.

Someone offered me £200 for my car and then ended up paying £280 at auction when I said no.

A couple of things from the above anecdote -

A) for rabbit hutches which are going for a tenner, I imagine you don't care about actually getting £13 at auction, you just want rid.

B) I had a shite car

Yes, I just want to get rid. Thanks all.
  • Options
    I would change it to but it now if you can and inform the buyer just to click that.

Then just take the cash on collection
  • Options
    Do the hutches come with rabbits in them?
  • Options
    Fox got them anyone know a pest controller?
  • Options

Do the hutches come with rabbits in them?

I think you're mixing up "hutches" with "hats". Hats usually come with rabbits in them.
  • Options
    Use Gumtree it is free, you do not get involved with selling fees, and the buyer collects especially bits of furniture. Has to be cheap though.Used to sell stuff on ebay, but paypal, and selling fees seem a hassle.
    One of my sons, was using ebay last year, he insists on a signature after a few buyers claim not to have had the goods delivered!. In some areas there are some decent community free ads that are great to dispose of things.
  • Options

Talal said:

I've ended listings with bids on. It's not a problem.
    I actually prefer to do that, it means you can get rid of the rubbish and get paid for it earlier.
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

Fox got them anyone know a pest controller?

Huck Hum

; )
  • Options
    Got something ending in a couple of hours. The high bidder is from Belgium. F*cks sake.
  • Options
    Opened this thread thinking we'd bought a couple of new players on Ebay.

Ridiculously high expectations, Freecycle is much more us.