Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

La Liga 2015-2016

Starting soon. Who is going to be following it? Living in Madrid it's difficult not to be taken in by the hype and I follow it more than English football these days. Hoping Atletico can put up a good challenge this year to the big two, and both Valencia and Sevilla should be decent as well.

I know a few on here follow teams so let's put our thoughts on here during the season. I won't put anything about Alcorcon this year ;)

Comments

• Options
    Not a fan to be honest... Find the play too slow and always seems as though the normal teams dont try against Barcelona and Real Madrid because they know they're going to be beaten so save their energy for the matches they know they can win, compare that with England and take Swansea and West Ham this weekend who dont care who they're playing and go out trying to get the scalp
  • Options
    Fair enough. Some of the teams in the lower half of the table are poor, but the ones I mentioned as well as Villareal, Athletic Bilbao and Moyes' Real Sociedad are good value. The latter actually beat Real, Barcelona and Atletico last year and Atletico did the double over Real including a 4-0 win. So, for me there is a good entertainment value.

The diving and playacting though is something I know puts a lot of people off. The feigned outrage and imaginary card waving is particularly annoying.

I see Barcelona winning again this year. Anyone else have a prediction or a favoured team?
  • Options
    Love watching la Liga . Real Madrid and Barcelona specifically. There is good money to be made from backing anytime goalscorers (Messi and Ronaldo) or the goals markets ( over 3.5 goals) with these teams.
  • Options
    Love La Liga - I'm gutted Carlos Bacca has left Sevilla, he was a real favourite of mine.looking forward to seeing Jackson Martinez play for Athletico but they've lost another couple of big players this summer - surely it'll come to a point that they just can't keep losing big players every year and continue to compete with the big two? I hope that point isn't this season as I have soft spot for them.

Think Bale will have a good season.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Love La liga. Hope barca win it again, but hope it's tight. Messi without a doubt is the best ever .
  • Options
    Hala Madrid
  • Options
    Yeah I watch it more than English leagues too, much better standard and they have actual intelligent ways of playing unlike 100mph random football like in England which shows in Europe. Out of the big clubs there I Prefer Atletico but cant see them doing much this season. Also people in England seem to think the rest of the league is terrible other than top clubs when mid table Bilbao knocked out Man Utd a few years ago when they were a lot better. Also teams like Newcastle,Sunderland and QPR etc are absoloutly shocking in most games but people seem to believe what Sky tell them, hilarious. Bundesliga and Ligue 1 worth watching for the football too
  • Options
    will be watching out for Las Palmas following their promotion.

shame Girona didn't make it in the end.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    First leg of Supercopa tonight with losing Copa del Rey finalists Athletic Bilbao against double winners Barcelona. Will be interesting to see how much Tuesday's epic 5-4 win over Sevilla (everyone rolls over against Barcelona? ) has taken it out of Luis Enrique's men. Also be interesting to see if the seemingly Man Utd bound Pedro plays after his winning goal on Tuesday night.

Big fan of Iñaki Williams, the first black player to score for Bilbao, as an example of the famous Basque-only club adapting to the changing dynamic of the city and the country. In a country with some still serious problems with racism, his impact is great to see.

I expect Barcelona to win over the two legs, but tonight at San Mames should be a good game with a fantastic atmosphere from possibly the most passionate fans in Spain.

In short, very happy football is back on here!
  • Options
    Thankfully Sky retained the rights as I watch more Spanish Football than English also watch Cricket and F1. Even if it was a bit sneaky how they got it.

Generally, I would rather watch a bit of say Sevilla than Sunderland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

First leg of Supercopa tonight with losing Copa del Rey finalists Athletic Bilbao against double winners Barcelona. Will be interesting to see how much Tuesday's epic 5-4 win over Sevilla (everyone rolls over against Barcelona? ) has taken it out of Luis Enrique's men. Also be interesting to see if the seemingly Man Utd bound Pedro plays after his winning goal on Tuesday night.

Big fan of Iñaki Williams, the first black player to score for Bilbao, as an example of the famous Basque-only club adapting to the changing dynamic of the city and the country. In a country with some still serious problems with racism, his impact is great to see.

I expect Barcelona to win over the two legs, but tonight at San Mames should be a good game with a fantastic atmosphere from possibly the most passionate fans in Spain.

In short, very happy football is back on here!

Close match.

Athletic won 4-0.
  • Options
    The first goal was unreal!
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    Wow - what a performance from Athletic. Barca did have a few big names out of the starting lineup so wonder if they will be back for the second leg to attempt the (impossible? ) comeback...
  • Options
    Looking forward to the Liga kick off. I'm here in Barcelona, but I'll be cheering on Deportivo La Coruña as usual, and hoping for a less nervy (and to be honest, pathetic) season tan last year. Plus if the trophies could be won by teams other than Barça and Real Madrid (especially Barcelona) it would be great. I was in a business meeting last nigh, with a telly on the Wall showing the Athletic-Barcelona match. Very distracting, and enjoyable.
  • Options
    Second leg of the Supercopa well worth watching tonight. Barcelona will be going full throttle for the comeback and if they can get a couple of early goals it is quite possible. Either way, the games against Sevilla and Athletic have put paid to the idea that other teams don't try against Barcelona and Real Madrid.
  • Options
    CM,

Aiming to come to Barcelona in November for a couple of days and to see a game at the Nou Camp- is it easy to get tickets on a night or would you recommend buying in advance?
  • Options
    Love watching Barcelona games, especially at the Nou Camp where they often seem unbeatable. Watching the likes of Lionel Messi score goals for fun shouldn't be taken for granted.
  • Options
    Really depends who they are playing. Have you seen the fixtures? They are out now but the actual time and day (Friday to Monday, most likely Saturday or Sunday for Barca) for each 'round' are only confirmed a couple of weeks before. Keep an eye on the club site for that.

If Barca are away that weekend you could always go to Español, the other city team.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm in Seville and off to Real Betis v Villareal on Sunday. Betis' stadium is ancient but massive. I'm going with a bunch of nutty Betis fans. Should be good. 10.30 pm kick off on a Sunday....takes some getting used to!
  • Options
    Big_Bob said:

CM,

Aiming to come to Barcelona in November for a couple of days and to see a game at the Nou Camp- is it easy to get tickets on a night or would you recommend buying in advance?

DON'T DO WHAT I DID AND BUY THE MATCH TICKETS, UNAWARE THAT THE GAMES ARE SWITCHED FOR TV.

IF YOU LOOK ON FC BARCELONA SITE, YOU CAN SEE WHEN THERE ARE CONFIRMED DATES/TIMES.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sid Lowe's season preview, as always capturing the comedy, chaos and inherent ridiculousness of La Liga:

La Liga 2015-16 may lack novelty but will not be short on attraction

http://gu.com/p/4bkfc?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard
  • Options
    It is surprisingly easy to get tickets for Atletico and Real. My wife recently opened a new bank account here and they gave her an Atletico season ticket, which she has given to me!

Still waiting for it to arrive though...
  • Options
    Got a feeling Madrid will struggle at the start of this season and it will be either Ronaldo or Benitez being put into question. Could see those two clashing as I think Benitez is going to try and play Bale more central. Going to be interesting for Real, especially if they don't keep hold of Benzema. He's one of the best forwards in the world for me and I have a sneaky feeling he could be a premier league player by September. United are still in for a striker and are not afraid to spend big.

Barca to win it I reckon, comfortably-ish.
  • Options
    Well based on that showing, Real will be winning absolutely nothing this season, Bale is going to get even more abuse and the fat waiter will be lucky to see out the season.

1 game in and already playing catch up to Barca.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    James Rodriguez was immense for Real in last night's 5-0 win over Betis. He could be the main man for them for the next few years with Ronaldo uncharacteristically quiet yesterday. Move back to England on transfer deadline day?
  • Options

Ronaldo uncharacteristically quiet yesterday. Move back to England on transfer deadline day?

Only if we don't sign pennant or Henry.
  • Options
    I watched Valencia-Deportivo last night. Depor controlled the first half, took the lead and went in level at 1-1 after some wretched defending converted Valencia's first shot on target into an equaliser. The second half Valencia took control and looked the more likely to score. They then had a man sent off, at which point Depor sensed the opportunity to ...waste time, and some pointless hoof ball gave Valencia the initiative, and they were unlucky not to win. A good, if lucky point for Depor, but it'll be a long season if they panic so easily.
  • Options
    Back on this weekend after international break and Real thumped Espanyol 6-0 with five for Ronaldo. Not great for my argument about games not always being one sided!

The big one is Atletico at home tonight against Barca. Predictably my season ticket hasn't arrived so it will be a few tapas in the local bar watching it. I guess it will be on Sky Sports in the UK tonight and I reckon it will be a cracking match so well worth tuning in.
  • Options

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine booked a weekend in Madrid for her boyfriend's birthday in mid-September. She was asking me about how easy it is to get tickets for matches, because he's really into football (she knows NOTHING about football).

Turns out it's the weekend of Atletico Vs Barcelona, and she's managed to get tickets. "Is that a good game then? Who are Barcelona, are they good?"

They've uploaded a video to Facebook from the match - they only managed to film Neymar's free kick...