Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

'The Hudson River Derby'

At what I'm guessing is the first ever New York Derby there has already been 'fights' with rival 'hooligan firms' one video has been posted around on Twitter but I'm on my phone so can't really get a link. The best part about this video is that one set of fans (guessing red bulls) are chanting "who are ya" at the opposition in horrifically northern sounding accents.
Yet another reason why I hate the MLS, it's nice to see it actually develop and for football to grow over there, but it seems that everything about it is completely fake. It's not like one day when NYC formed a group of blokes suddenly developed a deep hatred to the other, or vice versa. Yet again must trying to copy the English model of football. Quite embarrassing really.

Comments

• Bradley Wright-Phillips and Lloyd Sam playing for the Red Bulls
  • MLS is a good league, but the American sports culture is very different from ours'. The support over there is generally good, but just a lot more contrived and orchestrated than what would be seen as 'proper' by most traditional fans outside the US.
  • cafctom said:

MLS is a good league, but the American sports culture is very different from ours'. The support over there is generally good, but just a lot more contrived and orchestrated than what would be seen as 'proper' by most traditional fans outside the US.

In my 18 years living here in the US, I still haven't met a true fan of an MLS team, even though I'm only an hour and a half from Chicago. It seems as though support is really concentrated to the areas in close proximity to the clubs
  • MLS is terrible standard of football and most embarassing league followed by Premier League, Americans are trying to create Ultras groups but obviously failing and the whole hooligan fight was hilarious, fighting for a club who is owned by Red Bull and the others for another Franchise club with no history
  • edited August 2015
    'No one was hurt in the making of this video' ^
  • How funny. I bet behind those buildings is nothing just some wooden frames holding up the stage sets.
  • The "Who Are Ya" chant is making me pmsl. They could at least try to do it in an English accent. Football violence anywhere is moronic, but this is just embarrassing
  • Peaky Blinder caps and everything
  • Sponsored links:

• They need to clamp down on this or Danny Dyer will bail out of Eastenders and revive his "Pwoper Norty" persona.
  • edited August 2015
    I live in NYC and the wannabe hooliganism really pisses me off. I missed this game, but was at the first two (I'm an NYCFC season ticket holder) and saw a fair amount of friction, but nothing that boiled over.

Ultimately, the majority of the NYCFC 'Third Rail' official supporters group are a right bunch of planks. I had to leave the Facebook group because it's for the most part a bunch of kids trying to post their best selfie with a player or starting Twitter hashtags asking who is the most 'ultra' fan.

More concerningly there's a Latino neo-nazi (don't think about that too hard) group that reside in the Third Rail supporter's section; judging by some comments on one of the NYC news posts they played a big part in this.

I still find it weird when I see some of these idiots saying they'd die for the club when the t-shirt they're wearing is probably older than it.

I should add that despite all this, there are normal fans, too..
  • edited August 2015
    What does the Third Rail bit refer to ?
  • PL54 said:

No idea, but it's probably something about their subway, and the electric third rail, So their fans create an "electric" atmosphere or some such nonsense
  • PL54 said:

Yeah, Sam pretty much got it. Third Rail is the electrified rail, is the backbone of the subway system and therefore the city. Etc etc. Basically if you wanted a season ticket in the standing area, you had to sign up to the Third Rail. There's more scandal with it than is worth wasting your days with, but they call themselves independent, even though supposedly a load of board of directors are on the City payroll.

http://www.thirdrail.nyc/
  • Oooh a train reference. They should join the network.
  • edited August 2015

At what I'm guessing is the first ever New York Derby there has already been 'fights' with rival 'hooligan firms' one video has been posted around on Twitter but I'm on my phone so can't really get a link. The best part about this video is that one set of fans (guessing red bulls) are chanting "who are ya" at the opposition in horrifically northern sounding accents.
    Yet another reason why I hate the MLS, it's nice to see it actually develop and for football to grow over there, but it seems that everything about it is completely fake. It's not like one day when NYC formed a group of blokes suddenly developed a deep hatred to the other, or vice versa. Yet again must trying to copy the English model of football. Quite embarrassing really.

REALLY?

They were obviously going to be rivals given their locations and the fact they are both in the same league.

Its an us vs them mentality, that America seems to excel at. They also seem to make every war about Merica and it's supremecy.

Cowboys vs Indians
    Confederates vs Yankee Doodle Dandys
    Merica and the allied forces vs Germans
    Merica and the allied forces vs Nazi's
    Merica vs Vietnam
    Merica and the allied forces Potentially vs Russia
    Merica and the allied forces vs Iraq
    Merica and the allied forces vs Iraq again
    Merica and the allied forces vs Afghanistan
    Merica and the allied forces vs ISIS
    Merica and the allied forces vs the next threat...

They do like to find rivals and create enemies.
  • I think it's brilliant, go USA, welcome to soccer ball 2015 style
  • CTIGUK said:

I live in NYC and the wannabe hooliganism really pisses me off. I missed this game, but was at the first two (I'm an NYCFC season ticket holder) and saw a fair amount of friction, but nothing that boiled over.

Ultimately, the majority of the NYCFC 'Third Rail' official supporters group are a right bunch of planks. I had to leave the Facebook group because it's for the most part a bunch of kids trying to post their best selfie with a player or starting Twitter hashtags asking who is the most 'ultra' fan.

More concerningly there's a Latino neo-nazi (don't think about that too hard) group that reside in the Third Rail supporter's section; judging by some comments on one of the NYC news posts they played a big part in this.

I still find it weird when I see some of these idiots saying they'd die for the club when the t-shirt they're wearing is probably older than it.

Are you an American @CTIGUK

• Sponsored links:

• Well imagine how it must feel to be a NYRB fan, all these johnny come latelys swanning around New Jersey. Taking up space on the metro, swigging Coors Light on the street and generally making a nuisance of themselves.

I mean, the historic NYRB have been ruling the roost since 1996 and now this. Enough to make any soccer fan's blood boil...
  • milo said:

The problem is, as British football fans, we're never really going to understand this. It's part of their culture, it's the air that they breathe and it's been about for decades now - groups of young 'up for it' New Yorkers meeting in Gastro pubs, eating over priced bangers and mash in a caramelised onion gravy. Then going toe to toe with a rival firm outside Carmeleta's Deli and Bakery, chucking bin bags at each other.

I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of why this sort of football related violence has been going on for so long in the US - I just hope it doesn't catch on over here.

LOL
  • CTIGUK said:

Most ultra fan hashtag? wow I knew they were bad but I had no idea they were this bad but the bit about the t-shirt is true, doubt it will last long in a Western country especially with their Police
  • Curb_It said:

CTIGUK said:

Are you an American @CTIGUK

Nope, English, just out here for a few years with work. Started watching NYRB and then picked up a season ticket to NYCFC because it's significantly easier to get to and was only $300
  • edited August 2015
    Dazzler21 said:

REALLY?

They were obviously going to be rivals given their locations and the fact they are both in the same league.

Its an us vs them mentality, that America seems to excel at. They also seem to make every war about Merica and it's supremecy.

Cowboys vs Indians
    Confederates vs Yankee Doodle Dandys
    Merica and the allied forces vs Germans
    Merica and the allied forces vs Nazi's
    Merica vs Vietnam
    Merica and the allied forces Potentially vs Russia
    Merica and the allied forces vs Iraq
    Merica and the allied forces vs Iraq again
    Merica and the allied forces vs Afghanistan
    Merica and the allied forces vs ISIS
    Merica and the allied forces vs the next threat...

They do like to find rivals and create enemies.
    Some not all................... Supremacy doesn't mean diddly to me. And those Americans who think it means something are mostly the southern conservatives driving around in pickup trucks and drinking beer all day. Not the greatest people the U.S. has to offer