Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pre-Match Pinting

We did a piece on Pre-Match Pints today: http://deserter.co.uk/2015/08/tackling-pmt/

It's what you'd call 'agnostic' in that it covers all three of Southeast London's clubs, plus Dulwich, so you may have to avert your eyes from some of the pics/copy.

Think I'll make it to the Lib Saturday. How about youse?

Comments

• Vincenzo said:

We did a piece on Pre-Match Pints today: http://deserter.co.uk/2015/08/tackling-pmt/

It's what you'd call 'agnostic' in that it covers all three of Southeast London's clubs, plus Dulwich, so you may have to avert your eyes from some of the pics/copy.

Think I'll make it to the Lib Saturday. How about youse?

I think most will be drinking in the car park whilst burning (melting) their reissued season tickets and urinating on cardboard cut outs of The Board
  • How comes the Pickwick never gets a write up. Decent pub with huge beer garden.
  • Feels a bit of a trek, but I take your point. Will have a go sometime.
  • Nice one Vincenzo, it's literally 90 seconds further then the Rose of Denmark. Also feels closer then the pubs in the village, especially after the game.
  • does it get busy?, always on the look out for somewhere to drink - don't mind the lib but can get very crowded, especially with the kids (our kids)
  • Nicholas said:

Nice one Vincenzo, it's literally 90 seconds further then the Rose of Denmark. Also feels closer then the pubs in the village, especially after the game.

90? After a fair few perhaps, I'd call it a brisk 30. :-) Pickwick is a very nice pub, well run and never too busy.
  • I've startsdd allread y
  • Nicholas said:

How comes the Pickwick never gets a write up. Decent pub with huge beer garden.

Went there once after a game. It was like going into a remote country pub. It went quiet and everybody looked round and stared at the strangers, wondering if they had got lost. Beer was fizzy as well, so have never been back.

• Always liked the Pickwick. Staff friendly, beer ok, not too crowded and not too far to walk to the ground. Also the York cafe is just up the road for pre match drinks breakfast.
    Perfect start to the day.
  • Proper Charlton drink in the RoD. Before and after the match ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Nicholas said:

How comes the Pickwick never gets a write up. Decent pub with huge beer garden.

Went there once after a game. It was like going into a remote country pub. It went quiet and everybody looked round and stared at the strangers, wondering if they had got lost. Beer was fizzy as well, so have never been back.

I remember it being like that when I went in their once a good few hours before the game before the main football crowd started coming in but never straight after. It's pretty relaxed and they don't mind away fans in there either. But its rare you get many away fans in there.
  • Good piece. Pre-match, I like the Plume of Feathers as well, given that it's only three or four minutes from Maze Hill station. Decent beer and easy to hop off and then on again when coming from London without wasting valuable drinking time.

Been meaning to get down the Anchor & Hope again and will have to do so.
  • Fan Bar was alright at the end of last season by all accounts
  • PL54 said:

Fan Bar was alright at the end of last season by all accounts

Was good before the West Ham game too. Wish they'd call it something better though !
  • Blucher said:

Good piece. Pre-match, I like the Plume of Feathers as well, given that it's only three or four minutes from Maze Hill station. Decent beer and easy to hop off and then on again when coming from London without wasting valuable drinking time.

Yeah nice pub is the Plume of Feathers, although I'm sure I spotted a Palace shirt in a frame behind the bar last time I was in there.

I'll be down the Anchor tomorrow. Can't beat that when the weather is good.
  • Blucher said:

Good piece. Pre-match, I like the Plume of Feathers as well, given that it's only three or four minutes from Maze Hill station. Decent beer and easy to hop off and then on again when coming from London without wasting valuable drinking time.

Yeah nice pub is the Plume of Feathers, although I'm sure I spotted a Palace shirt in a frame behind the bar last time I was in there.

Only tried it once and the beer wasn't great, is that the norm?
  • se9addick said:

Blucher said:

Only tried it once and the beer wasn't great, is that the norm?
    From memory they have Doom Bar and London Pride usually, but sometimes only one of those is on. I tend to stick to lager in this boozer, of which there is a wider range.
  • The Stella top in there is fantastic
  • The Guinness at The Anchor is also fantastic.
  • Blucher said:

Its a Palace pennant sits proudly behind the bar. Been there years but its a nice pub so we have to overlook some things.

• Sponsored links:

• The Anchor has its own Anchor & Hope ale too, I believe, which is OK. Don't know who makes it for them, but it's drinkable.
  • They have a seafood stall down the Anchor now in the car park. Not sure if it was there last season?
  • always head to oneills in Blackheath for a spot of brunch and a few pints and watch the early kick off jump on the 2.29 train to Charlton and am in ground by 2.45
  • edited August 2015
    Curb_It said:

They have a seafood stall down the Anchor now in the car park. Not sure if it was there last season?

Yeah, £9 for a carton of eels, whereas it is half that elsewhere.
    The old bird that works there has a gob like a sewer.
    The whole pub has lost its identity and discovered a new Greenwich one.

Not for me thanks.