Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Red Red Robin .. A Rival

.. comes bob bob bobbin along .. Hull Kingston Rovers Rugby League Club has got to the Rugby League Cup Final at Wembley for the first time since God was a boy. Yesterday morning, the Radio Humberside roving reporter got the fans queuing for tickets outside Craven Park to sing the 'club song' .. and guess what ?

.. YES .. it's our beloved anthem .... who then can claim first rights to use this venerable ditty as their own ?

I never knew before that CAFC had so much in common with the oval ball supporting fans in the next City of Culture .. come on you Rovers ((:>)

Comments

• edited August 2015
    I know we use the Billy Cotton version of 'The Red Red Robin' because he supported us.
  • sammy391 said:

I know we use the Billy Cotton version of 'The Red Red Robin' because he supported us , so presumably we were playing it before that version came out ?

wakey wakey !! ((:>)
  • sammy391 said:

I know we use the Billy Cotton version of 'The Red Red Robin' because he supported us , so presumably we were playing it before that version came out ?

I believe he recorded that version for us. The song goes back the 1920s
  • Strange that Billy Cotton was an Addick as he played for Brentford as a young man
  • Strange that Billy Cotton was an Addick as he played for Brentford as a young man

Did you go straight to Wiki too ?

It's a little known fact but all Brentford players are Addicks.
  • se9addick said:

Strange that Billy Cotton was an Addick as he played for Brentford as a young man

And me
  • se9addick said:

Strange that Billy Cotton was an Addick as he played for Brentford as a young man

I did .. in the back of my mind was that Billy C played for Chelsea .. but he was never that bad ((:>)
  • Rovers have been singing it for years.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2015
    It's a slow afternoon .. so .. Our beloved Wiki list these clubs as laying claim to 'The Robins' nickname ...

Sport[edit]
    Brooklyn Robins, name between 1914 and 1931 of the baseball franchise now known as the Los Angeles Dodgers.
    Shochiku Robins and Taiyō-Shochiku Robins, two former names of the Yokohama BayStars, a Japanese NPB team
    The Robins, a nickname for Altrincham Football Club, based in Greater Manchester, England
    The Robins, a nickname for Bracknell Town Football Club, based in England
    The Robins, a nickname for Bristol City Football Club, based in England, because of their red playing kit
    The Robins, a nickname for Cheltenham Town Football Club, based in England, because of their red playing kit
    The Robins, a nickname for Evesham United Football Club, based in Worcestershire, England
    The Robins, a nickname for Hull Kingston Rovers, the English Rugby league club, because of their red playing kit
    The Robins, a nickname for Ilkeston Town Football Club, based in Derbyshire, England
    The Robins, a nickname for Swindon Town Football Club, based in England, because of their red playing kit
    Swindon Robins, English Motorcycle Speedway team
    Brighton Robins, Australian rules football club based in Tasmania
    Kermandie Robins, Australian rules football club in Tasmania
    Peekskill Robins, formerly the Stamford Robins, American collegiate baseball team playing in an NCAA summer league

I wonder how many followers of the listed clubs sing 'The Red Red .. ' in the shower ?
  • se9addick said:

I did .. in the back of my mind was that Billy C played for Chelsea .. but he was never that bad ((:>)
    Apparently Wimbledon too in later life, must have been a West London boy at heart.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Apparently Wimbledon too in later life, must have been a West London boy at heart.
    where would we be without Wiki ?? .. ((:>)
  • It's a slow afternoon .. so .. Our beloved Wiki list these clubs as laying claim to 'The Robins' nickname ...

Sport[edit]

The Robins, a nickname for Bracknell Town Football Club, based in England
    The Robins, a nickname for Bristol City Football Club, based in England, because of their red playing kit
    The Robins, a nickname for Cheltenham Town Football Club, based in England, because of their red playing kit
    The Robins, a nickname for Evesham United Football Club, based in Worcestershire, England

The Robins, a nickname for Swindon Town Football Club, based in England, because of their red playing kit

I have a family connection on my other half's side to Cheltenham, but what is striking is how unimaginative West Country fans are. Is it every team who play in red along the M4/A40 who have the same nickname?
  • sammy391 said:

I know we use the Billy Cotton version of 'The Red Red Robin' because he supported us.

I always thought it was Nick Cotton.