Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stan Collymore - Is He havin a Larf ?

Stan Collymore is ready to make a sensational return to football after claiming he is good enough to play in The Premiership.

The 35-year-old former England international has been out of the game for five-and-a-half years after leaving Real Oviedo in 2001.

Despite his prolonged absence, along with several personal problems he claims he has now overcome, Collymore insists he is in great shape and ready to make the most unlikely of comebacks.

Collymore is currently in Tenerife undergoing three weeks of intense fitness training and when he returns to England, he will set off his search for a new club in earnest.

"I`ve had physical tests and I`m confident I will come back faster, stronger and fitter than I ever was," Collymore told the Daily Mirror.

"A month from today, I guarantee I will be able to stand side by side with any striker in the country and my physique will be up there with any of them.

"This time, I`m not going to self-destruct. You are not going to see headlines about me being kicked out of a bar somewhere in the early hours rolling drunk.

"I know I can still be among the best."

Having taken in the World Cup as a punter rather than player, Collymore hit on the idea of making a comeback after feeling there was no-one out there in Germany to really worry him.

"I went to the World Cup as a punter," he said yesterday.

"I didn't see any players that made me think 'I can't do that'. It might sound big-headed, but I still believe that I am the best.

"I don't want to do this to go back and be average and potter around for Rag Arse Rovers. I wouldn't do that.

"I wouldn't put myself through all the work I'm doing now for that. There is no reason why I can't be back to my best. Don't forget that as a footballer, I haven't got a lot of miles on the clock.

"When I retired, it wasn't because I was crumbling physically like Ian Wright or Gazza.

"I didn't quit because I had dodgy knees or bad ankles or a chronic back problem or anything like that. I'm six foot, three inches. Take my frame and put all the muscle back on and I am a big, powerful lad."

Go Get him Dowie.....LOL

Comments

• This has the distinct whiff of celebrity/reality TV stunt to me.
  • good luck to him. one of the biggest wasted talents in the last 10 years. Never seen a player destroy us as much as he did once up at Notts Forest.

The trouble Stanley will find is that to be a top footballer, you need more than 3 weeks intensive training in Tenerife.

And even if he did make it back, could his fragile mind cope with expectation again ? I think no.

If he wanted to get back into football, he should of applied for Sky's Football Icon programme.
  • Sounds like an old boxer coming out of retirement to earn a few more quid. Most of those end up embarrassed.......

I dont know why but I absolutely hate Collymore as a person and wish him the worst.
  • cos he beat up a woman. lowest of the low.