Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Peter O'Sullevan

Sadly passed away today after a great innings of 97.

The voice of several generations of racing fans.

RIP

Comments

• edited July 2015
    With Richie Benaud and now Sir Peter, we have lost two of the truly great broadcasters of our time.
    Sir Peter was a superbly skilled commentator with a huge knowledge of the sport. Moreover he was a shrewd punter whose newspaper tips were always worth serious consideration.
    RIP Sir Peter, you enhanced the pleasure of some many of us who love the Sport of Kings.
  • A real racing icon.

RIP
  • Very sad. RIP
  • One of the most distinctive voices in sport RIP.
  • Last link to those grey (black & white) Saturdays sat watching Grandstand, waiting for the teleprinter - when all the main sports had a BBC commentator who was very much the voice of their sport - giants of broadcasting (and his case it seems, a real gent too)
  • The voice of racing - RIP
  • A total class act, brilliant voice and speaking style. RIP.
  • Absolute legend. RIP.
  • RIP. The greatest racing commentator by far. In fact, in my opinion, he and Benaud were the greatest voices of sport.
  • Sponsored links:

• RIP. The greatest racing commentator by far. In fact, in my opinion, he and Benaud were the greatest voices of sport.

I don't disagree, Alan, and would add David Coleman to that list. I'd have Sir Peter just on top.
  • Great man very iconic sound RIP
  • RIP Sir Peter
  • edited July 2015
    People that have no interest in sport would automatically think horse racing when they heard him.
    Similar to that of Ted Lowe, Murray walker and Brian Johnston had for their sports.
    RIP
  • Probably the last of the commentators that I can remember from my first childhood interest in sport.

RIP

• RIP - true legend. Agree all the other names as well, adding Wolstenholme, Moore, Carpenter, Alliss and Maskell ....
  • RIP, another part of my childhood gone.

• RIP - true legend. Agree all the other names as well, adding Wolstenholme, Moore, Carpenter, Alliss and Maskell ....

RIP, adding Waddell to the list.
  • Personally I am not a horse racing fan but Peter O'Sullevan was one of the commentators who defined his sport, super knowledgeable and a true broadcasters voice. As Des Lynham once famously said "Peter could have called the Charge of the Light Brigade" and that sums it up.

RIP Peter
  • Sponsored links:

• That wonderful voice was still very much in form during one of his last interviews around the time of the Grand national this year.
    RIP
  • a doyen of his art
  • A wonderful, warm, rich voice belonging to a man who knew his sport from top to bottom. Lovely to hear the tributes from the world of racing to him yesterday.

Rest in Peace Mr O'Sullevan