Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pluto

13»

Comments

• Options

I heard Sebs already done the journey when we drew Pluto Albion in the Auto Windscreens Trophy back in 96.

Said he wouldn't go again as there was no atmosphere.
    Except there is.

This article is very interesting and a good summary of what's been found so far:
    http://www.vox.com/2015/7/16/8978451/new-horizons-pluto-facts
  • Options

Addicted said:

Unbelievable to think it launched 9 years ago. Everything that's happened on earth whilst that small box has been travelling (just) to the outer reaches of our solar system and it's still effectively in our back garden. The emptiness of space boggles the mind.

This. What I'd like to know is what we will find when the very edge of space is reached. Any scientists want to hazard a guess at that one? In the same way that we now know the world aint flat, will we one day find out?

I understand that the reason we may never know is considered to be that space is expanding faster than you could travel to catch up. But expanding into what?
    You can't reach the edge of space - if you could, there would be an absolute position in space, from which you could have absolute velocity and absolute acceleration, all in contravention of Einstein's two relativity theories.
  • Options

It's an empty space containing nothing and at absolute zero temperature that gets filled by an expanding universe which contains energy and mass.

It's not an empty space that the universe expands into. There isn't anything outside the universe, not even an empty space.
  • Options
    My head hurts.
  • Options

My head hurts.

Which means your head isn't an empty space!
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Someone screwed up, the probe went by Pluto 72 seconds early.

If only the train to London Bridge was as good as that!
  • Options

I heard Sebs already done the journey when we drew Pluto Albion in the Auto Windscreens Trophy back in 96.

Said he wouldn't go again as there was no atmosphere.
    Except there is.

This article is very interesting and a good summary of what's been found so far:
    http://www.vox.com/2015/7/16/8978451/new-horizons-pluto-facts
    I really enjoyed the article addicks Addick. Thanks
  • Options

My head hurts.

Which means your head isn't an empty space!
    Trying to understand all this, and thinking that there isn't too much in there...