Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• lol! So that season we could have lined up with Schweinsteiger AND Cristiano Ronaldo?

What did Murray and Curbishley do in the Summer!!
  • We would have "Charltonized" him :smile:
  • He'd have never got in ahead of Kish - would have been a waste of money.

• That website is pure imagination, probably be a similar story about Gillingham and Raheem Sterling tomorrow.
  • lol! So that season we could have lined up with Schweinsteiger AND Cristiano Ronaldo?

What did Murray and Curbishley do in the Summer!!

Ah but if these 2 had signed we'd never have signed Jesper Blomqvist and Robbie Mustoe.
  • We were tracking Quaresma too apparently along with Cristiano
  • And supposedly Drogba - we were linked with him the summer before he had that good champions league season with Marseille and he signed for Chelsea after that.
  • And I seem to remember being linked with Samuel Kuffour as well when he was at Bayern and African footballer of the year.
  • We were definitely linked with Ronaldo - think we offered €2m and were politely declined. We were linked with Quaresma too but I think that was at a different time

Schweinsteiger was a name I recall too - shame as he's turned out half decent...

Don't recall Drogba cropping up in the past though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dont remember us going for Drogba... Was Kezman that turned us down in favour of Chelsea.

Michael Carrick (West Ham) / Phil Jagielka (Sheffield United) / Joleon Lescott (Wolves) were all linked at some stage
  • Erm hate to tell you this... Curbs has gone mate
  • Swisdom said:

We were definitely linked with Ronaldo - think we offered €2m and were politely declined. We were linked with Quaresma too but I think that was at a different time

Schweinsteiger was a name I recall too - shame as he's turned out half decent...

Don't recall Drogba cropping up in the past though.

Could well have been agent talk but there was definitely a story (might have been on the sky sports website) saying we were looking at him.

Same with Kuffour.
  • What an idiot, think of what he's missed out on...,,
  • edited July 2015
    Always felt a little sorry for Bastian .. the German word 'Steiger' can mean one of these:»

NOUN der Steiger | die Steiger

Steiger {m}overseer [in coal mine]
    jobsmining, deputy [Br.]mining
    overman .. jobs mining .. (pit) foreman mining

Steiger {m} [.]womanizer .. chaser [womanizer]

Schwein, of course, is German for pig .. oink oink .. overseer of a pig farm ? .. pig chaser ? .. the Germans seem to be less sensitive about having a strange name than we Brits
  • At least he's not called Schweinficker !
  • You can say that about lots of players over the years that we have missed out on.
  • Sponsored links:

• We must be able to make a decent XI out of the players we've missed out on.

Quaresma - Carrick - Schweinsteiger - Ronaldo as a midfield at least.
  • Dont remember us going for Drogba... Was Kezman that turned us down in favour of Chelsea.

Kezman was the Delort of his day.

I also remember tales of Flamini being in our Boardroom ready to sign when the call came in from Arsenal.

• That sounds like bollocks. Bayern were happy to sell a highly rated young player who went on to make his Champions League debut for the club just two years later......hmmmm
  • edited July 2015
    Yup Flamini was definitely on his way to the Valley that summer until Arsenal stole him

On the Striker front I remember us being linked with Javier Saviola (Barcelona) on Teletext whilst we Javier Portillo from Real Madrid was a Julian Gray type rumour for a few seasons.

The strangest one that I remember though was reading an article in a matchday programme, cant remember which season it was in reference to but Romario was looking for a new club for a week or two and his Agent had contacted Charlton, apparently Curbishley politely turned him down because he wasn't the type of player that we were looking for at the time.
  • sam3110 said:

What a team we could have had:

Kiely
    Young Lescott Costa Powell
    Quaresma Parker Carrick Schweinsteiger Ronaldo
    Bent

Kezman, Flamini, Rommedahl, Jagielka etc on the bench, Europe a certainty!

With the likes of Rufus / Shelvey / Jenkinson / Gomez who all came through the Youth Academy too, we could have really built a dynasty here at Charlton
  • sam3110 said:

What a team we could have had:

Kiely
    Young Lescott Costa Powell
    Quaresma Parker Carrick Schweinsteiger Ronaldo
    Bent

Kezman, Flamini, Rommedahl, Jagielka etc on the bench, Europe a certainty!

Come on you, know we'd have sold them all at 10:30 pm on 31st Jan for 20 quid each.

• Good job we didn't get Schweinsteiger - he's been mediocre at best this season.
  • I was more gutted we missed out on Darren Purse in the summer of 2001

& 2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007....in fact what is he up to these days could well get in our team at the moment.