Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Live Aid - 30th Anniversary

It's today and very little coverage. The BBC love to commemorate things and I can't see anything on BBC1,2,3 or 4 tonight.

Where were you?

I was playing cricket against The Mote CC and because Kent were playing at Mote Park we (Blackheath 2nd XI) got to play at The St Lawrence Ground which was a great experience. Ended up in Blakes that night in Eltham, formally the Kings Arms and now long gone. Probably had a curry at the Luna, now Spice Island.

Comments

• Options
    Working on the check out at Woolworths in Erith. One of the finer jobs I've had.. we had it blaring out of the radio in the record section.
    Watched it on the box all night when I got home.
    My sister was there.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I was there. Only got a ticket because The Who were playing and thought it would be the only chance I'd get to see them live (they had split the previous year)

Fantastic day, I was 17 at the time and my little sister begged my mum and dad to pick me up at the end just in case she could get in. They managed to get in as they opened the doors near the end and saw McCartney, Freddie Mercury and Brian May and the finale.
  • Options
    Saw some of it on the TV in a wine bar in Gravesend called the Lazy Toad.
  • Options
    Probably playing in front of the TV with my He Man toys - unless I was doing some kind of combined battle with my Star Wars figures getting involved as well.
  • Options
    Regretting not buying a ticket. Spent the day watching on telly and periodically swapping out VHS tapes....
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The majority on here were probably <10 years old if born at all, I was 19, paid £10 on my Barclaycard after Stairway to Heaven, which I thought was a good performance at the time (very pissed I guess), look at it now, awful! Plant and Page blame Phil Collins for their shocking efforts, I would think there were other mitigating factors or substances than just poor old Phil!
  • Options
    Freddie stole the show
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Was on a windsurfing course somewhere on the south coast - absolutely roasting - mate ended up in hospital with sun stroke, we blogged some cheap cider from the local offie and letched after our (female and quite young) Chemistry teacher who was one of the "instructors"
  • Options
    I was there! Was talking to my daughter about it yesterday as we were at Wembley seeing Ed Sheeran. It was a fantastic day and forgot all of the people who performed until I googled it yesterday.
  • Options
    I was there ( amazing ) and at Live8 . stood up for 15 hours in one spot without moving at Live 8 and my back has suffered ever since .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was there ( amazing ) and at Live8 . stood up for 15 hours in one spot without moving at Live 8 and my back has suffered ever since .

15 hours? I'd have needed a piss at least every hour.
  • Options

beds must be one of those people that throw cups of their own piss at festivals.
  • Options

Freddie stole the show

Indeed he did, he was brilliant that night.
    Mind you, they didn't have much competition did they - 90% of the acts were shit.
    The contemporary bands had their limitations exposed and the older guard were by and large embarrassing.
    As for commemorating. Really?
    I think we all knew at the time that the whole bloody thing was an exercise in futility, but like everyone else my conscience was pricked by those awful TV pictures of their suffering.
    Nothing much changes in Africa, but at least we got to feel better about ourselves for a few days.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Working on the check out at Woolworths in Erith. One of the finer jobs I've had.. we had it blaring out of the radio in the record section.
    Watched it on the box all night when I got home.
    My sister was there.

in Woolworth's?
  • Options
    Was 21and listened to it on the radio driving to Devon with a mate for a weeks holiday, we were that skint we slept in the car for a week so we could go out at night!!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    watched it at home - taped the bands I most wanted to see , but missed U2 as I werent really into them & Queen as I had popped out to meet some friends who came round during the evening. I've still got the tape and is better than the DVD that came out for the 20th anniversary because

1) I've got the bit where the Who's set loses connection & it comes back half way through Reign O'er me......followed by an agitated Pete Townsend telling a minion that they WERE going to play a 3rd number (shouting off-set Yes, Yes, Yes)

2) I've got the Led Zep set which Page & Plant then wouldn't let them issue on the DVD.
  • Options

beds must be one of those people that throw cups of their own piss at festivals.
    Believe it or not I didn't eat , drink or piss the whole 15 hours just so I wouldn't lose my place. Absolute madness and the whole experience put me off going to anything like it again.
  • Options

Believe it or not I didn't eat , drink or piss the whole 15 hours just so I wouldn't lose my place. Absolute madness and the whole experience put me off going to anything like it again.
    If Absurditan was still here he'd say......Not!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

If Absurditan was still here he'd say......Not!
    He would.You remind me a lot of him funnily enough...
  • Options
    Had spent a month working in the US, enjoying our flood of summer signings that I'd read about in 2-day-old UK newspapers.

Had a cab booked for the journey back home to pick me up at 7am NY time..exactly the time that Live Aid started. Hence I missed it all...!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Laying on the bottom bunk in my 11th floor tower block flat on Gallus square on the Ferrier Estate, I was 17, watched the whole lot.
  • Options
    Watched the whole thing but must say it went downhill after the Mighty Quo opened it.
  • Options
    Bit too pop orientated for me , NiK Kershaw,Howard Jones,Adam Ant. Shame on Pink Floyd that they could not get over there bickering, shame there were no black artists, at least Sting brought on Branford Marsalis, too many Boomtown numbers,Thought that Queen and U2 stole it from the UK.
    USA:Crosby, Stills, Nash.....Beach Boys..... terrible.Led Zep, worst gig they ever played, no wonder they do not want it shown.
    Though Madonna was good, Mick Jagger why no Rolling stones?.....Why no Micheal Jackson!..... not particularly my favourite artists, but you needed the stadium rockers.......
    All those Tamla stars.....Not Dylan's best moment.
  • Options
    DA9 said:

Laying on the bottom bunk in my 11th floor tower block flat on Gallus square on the Ferrier Estate, I was 17, watched the whole lot.

Bottom bunk ?

Did you have a periscope or were the windows really low ?
  • Options
    The Live Aid concert was the first thing we taped when we got our first video. Still have the tape somewhere I think!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Watched at home. Went down to Anirog on West Hill after Howard Jones to buy Alien8 for ZX Spectrum then watched the rest. Enjoyed it but when you look at the uk line up not that spectacular really. Queen wowed it, did Maccas microphone fail?
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

. Went down to Anirog on West Hill after Howard Jones to buy Alien8 for ZX Spectrum

That was my best mates dad's computer company - in those days we used to "test drive" some games before they were released tom see if they were any good./Also got him to sponser our football kit one season
  • Options
    I was 15 and doing some summer holiday work in the Hi-Fi section of Lasky's in Bexleyheath.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Bit too pop orientated for me , NiK Kershaw,Howard Jones,Adam Ant. Shame on Pink Floyd that they could not get over there bickering, shame there were no black artists, at least Sting brought on Branford Marsalis, too many Boomtown numbers,Thought that Queen and U2 stole it from the UK.
    USA:Crosby, Stills, Nash.....Beach Boys..... terrible.Led Zep, worst gig they ever played, no wonder they do not want it shown.
    Though Madonna was good, Mick Jagger why no Rolling stones?.....Why no Micheal Jackson!..... not particularly my favourite artists, but you needed the stadium rockers.......
    All those Tamla stars.....Not Dylan's best moment.

You've got a good memory....hardly remember any of it but as I mentioned only watched some of it in a wine bar and it was 30 years ago.
  • Options
    Most of My Generation and Pinball Wizard was lost to broadcast (and the big screens in the stadium) and the footage was never recovered. The broadcast kicks in again at the beginning of Love Reign O'er Me and Won't get Fooled Again.