Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tennis is boring...

Apologies to all Tennis officionados, i like virtually every sport , but i'm sure i'm not the only one to think that Tennis is boring - good, god, especially Womans tennis.
If you look at Wimbledon, the same people win it every year, and for the mens game its the same 3 every year in the semis. Thank god its over for another year.

Boring,boring,boring.

Comments

• I love tennis but women's tennis is hard to enjoy. The brutalism of Serena's game is something to behold but it's never going to win many fans.
  • you could have turned it off, watched something else and started a thread about something you do like....

I loved it. You never know who's going to do well or fail at the first hurdle.
  • *Aficionados

I actually found the women to be very entertaining. Less emphasis on serve, decent long rallies, largely unpredictable outcomes (Serena notwithstanding).

Today saw one of the greatest players of all time lose. Hell, I don't even like tennis much but I know enough to think it's far from boring.

Besides, it's far from the only sport to have dominant characters. Assuming you watch the premier league, it's a bit rich to call tennis a procession compared to the annual Chelsea/ Manchester coin toss.
  • I agree it is really boring. I don't watch it though.
  • It does nothing for me either.
  • Cricket is more boring
  • I love tennis but women's tennis is hard to enjoy. The brutalism of Serena's game is something to behold but it's never going to win many fans.

Agree with this to honest, but the men's game is incredible sport, drama, and entertainment.
  • Personally, seeing Djokovic or Federer or even Murray when on top form playing their best tennis is no more 'boring' than watching Messi or Ronaldo or any other great footballer. Yes they are clearly a step above most others. That's kind of the point. That's what I like about watching them!

Saying tennis is boring because the good players normally beat the worse players is like saying football is dull because good teams beat bad ones, more often than not. It's like saying 'Messi scored another hattrick/super goal... how tedious.'
  • For me golf and Rugby trump tennis in term of dullness, might be the fact I hated rugby with a passion at school.
  • Sponsored links:

• For me...

Football
    Cricket
    Rugby U
    Cricket 50 overs
    Cricket 20/20
    Rugby L
    Boxing (Non Olympics)
    Golf (Majors only)
    Formula 1
    umm
    Snooker
    Darts
    Crochet
    Dominoes
    Athletics (Olympics only)
    Tennis
  • I might drop motor sports below tennis.
  • I quite like tennis but the Wimbledon crowd is probably the most annoying in sport.

Let's go Andy let's go. Clap clap.
  • Apologies to all Tennis officionados, i like virtually every sport , but i'm sure i'm not the only one to think that Tennis is boring - good, god, especially Womans tennis.
    If you look at Wimbledon, the same people win it every year, and for the mens game its the same 3 every year in the semis. Thank god its over for another year.

Boring,boring,boring.

Just like The Premiership ?
  • LenGlover said:

Each to their own.

I feel privileged to be able to watch 3 of the greatest tennis players of all time rather than 'bored' by them.

Federer, Djokovic and who is the third? I hope you are referring to Nadal. Murray is not one of the greatest players of all time.
  • When are they going to rename "Henman Hill" he doesn't deserve to have a piece of land named after him. He was rubbish. Just a posh boy from Oxford he was just a posh boy from Oxford
  • Apologies to all Football officionados, i like virtually every sport , but i'm sure i'm not the only one to think that Football is boring - good, god, especially Womans football.
    If you look at Football, the same teams win it every year, and for the mens game its the same 3 every year in the semis. Thank god its over for another year.

Boring,boring,boring.
  • I get fed up with Federer. always seeing his face at Wimbledon, change the record.
  • Sponsored links:

• dizzee said:

LenGlover said:

Each to their own.

I feel privileged to be able to watch 3 of the greatest tennis players of all time rather than 'bored' by them.

Federer, Djokovic and who is the third? I hope you are referring to Nadal. Murray is not one of the greatest players of all time.
    I might be wrong but I suspect that Len means Serena Williams as the "third".
  • Apologies to all Tennis officionados, i like virtually every sport , but i'm sure i'm not the only one to think that Tennis is boring - good, god, especially Womans tennis.

Boring,boring,boring.

I agree with you TP.

As my son settled into the prime TV viewing seat for the final, I made a late, late bid to watch the cricket instead. Unfortunately, Afghanistan v Scotland didn’t cut it with him ... he thought I was joking.

• The match I enjoyed watching was the women's doubles final .. long rallies and cute Martina Hingis ... I did wonder what had happened to her .. and now I know

Boring,boring,boring.

Has been exhilarating at the Valley these last 5 years as well.
  • Hamilton thought he could liven it up by wearing that shirt but quite understandably got banned from the Royal box.
  • Can't say I'm a fan either. Watching a ball go over the net a thousand times. Some one said cricket is more dull... Tennis doesn't have nearly the same level of tactics, mind games, bravery and obviously team work as cricket.
  • Can't say I'm a fan either. Watching a ball go over the net a thousand times. Some one said cricket is more dull... Tennis doesn't have nearly the same level of tactics, mind games, bravery and obviously team work as cricket.
  • I used to be a keen watcher of Tennis on TV. And my old sports club used to host the Wimbledon qualifying games which were fun.
    These days, sadly, it bores me rigid. It might as well be re-named serve-ball. It seems if you are ultra-tall you can make a very good living from tennis, merely because of the huge advantage your height gives you during your service games. Some of these individuals are, otherwise, without much in the way of talent.
    Tennis needs to do something it get its act sorted. I don't know what really - one serve rather than two, no net cord service re-takes, an automatically adjusting net to negate height advantage or some other form of handicapping, like a variable base line to penalise the mega-tall players, less ball changes, who knows? One thing I would do is get rid of some of the surfaces - that red clay muck is a dumb surface to play any sport at all on.
  • I quite like tennis but the Wimbledon crowd is probably the most annoying in sport.

Let's go Andy let's go. Clap clap.
    That made my teeth itch just reading that. Is that what they really sing? ffs
  • F**k off Andy F*ck off. Clap clap