Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Traffic chaos in Kent

Comments

• Options
    As a truck driver, I'm severely pissed off now and a 10 hr shift regularly turns into 15hrs, meaning I then have to park up for the night, instead of getting home to my family. I've always said if you want to protest against the government, you need to do it in a way that affects them directly, not the working people that are paying your benefits. As for the prick who climbed up the gantry, can someone please tell him what the orange hi-viz coats he's wearing is made from? As Jimmy Hoffa said "If you buy food, it was delivered by a truck, If you buy clothes, it was delivered by a truck, If you buy any consumer goods, it was delivered by a truck.
    This idea that working people are victims and shouldn't be impacted or take part is really perverse, imo. Not aimed at you tango per se, it just keeps recurring in here. Some kind of apolitical positon that tries to distinguish normal from abnormal, working man supporting his family from swampy on benefits. It's defensive thinking I suppose mostly exhibited by conservatives (small 'c'), who are not actually looking to engage in any debate.
    Oh the irony.

I'm sure lots of "conservative" people would be happy to engage in a debate about it but the protesters aren"t "debating" are they !!!!  They are ruining the lives of millions of people by blocking the road.

As I've said on here many a time.....if it happens to me I wont just be sitting in my car waiting for 4 hours whilst plod talk nicely to them. They want direct action then they'll get it.
    I’m sure there would be many, many people out there who would say ‘good on you’. Meanwhile you’d be charged by plod and spend quite a bit of time inside. Best to just wait in the traffic.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    As a truck driver, I'm severely pissed off now and a 10 hr shift regularly turns into 15hrs, meaning I then have to park up for the night, instead of getting home to my family. I've always said if you want to protest against the government, you need to do it in a way that affects them directly, not the working people that are paying your benefits. As for the prick who climbed up the gantry, can someone please tell him what the orange hi-viz coats he's wearing is made from? As Jimmy Hoffa said "If you buy food, it was delivered by a truck, If you buy clothes, it was delivered by a truck, If you buy any consumer goods, it was delivered by a truck.
    This idea that working people are victims and shouldn't be impacted or take part is really perverse, imo. Not aimed at you tango per se, it just keeps recurring in here. Some kind of apolitical positon that tries to distinguish normal from abnormal, working man supporting his family from swampy on benefits. It's defensive thinking I suppose mostly exhibited by conservatives (small 'c'), who are not actually looking to engage in any debate.
    Oh the irony.

I'm sure lots of "conservative" people would be happy to engage in a debate about it but the protesters aren"t "debating" are they !!!!  They are ruining the lives of millions of people by blocking the road.

As I've said on here many a time.....if it happens to me I wont just be sitting in my car waiting for 4 hours whilst plod talk nicely to them. They want direct action then they'll get it.
    I’m sure there would be many, many people out there who would say ‘good on you’. Meanwhile you’d be charged by plod and spend quite a bit of time inside. Best to just wait in the traffic.
    I'd plead not guilty & go for trial by jury.

Reckon at least 10 of the 12 will side with me.

Prosecution barrister  - " you are charged with running someone over"

Me - " I was on the M25, 4 lane motorway & the person was lying in the road. I asked them very nicely to get out of my way & even pulled them to 1 side so that I could pass. They then deliberately sat back down again in front of my car. I thought they had a death wish".
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Oh the irony.

Ooh, so tough. 

The "27" in Cop 27 is a clue that maybe years of debate hasn't got anywhere.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Swisdom said:
    Took me 2 hours to get in to Maidstone to drop my daughter at school) and then back to Dartford (for work)

Got to leave early tonight because the trains are all screwed up and do the reverse journey.

Life is hard enough as it is right now without protesters and everyone else seemingly going on strike at the moment

How long before one of these protesters gets seriously hurt as a result of their actions
    Just taken me an hour to drive from Longfield to Dartford 😳

Dartford is in grid lock now - suggest you leave now…..
    I once had a car like that (joke stolen from my nans brother).

Is it still bad? I have a doctors appointment in stone later, might have to drive close, leave the car and walk.
    Is there a place called Stone, or do you live in Bedrock and your appointment reminder was chiselled?
  • Options
    A warning for anyone using the M20 near Ashford this weekend, it is closed for bridge works between junctions 9 & 10a.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/drivers-fear-absolute-chaos-as-m20-to-shut-285738/
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Bet they’ll be popular in prison.
  • Options
    A warning for anyone using the M20 near Ashford this weekend, it is closed for bridge works between junctions 9 & 10a.

https://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent/news/drivers-fear-absolute-chaos-as-m20-to-shut-285738/
    I could kiss you for posting this - Was planning on heading down to Folkestone with the Camera tomorrow morning.

Will make sure I use other roads to get down there, as would have blindly gone down the M20 else
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:
    In real terms 18 months and 15 1/2 months.
  • Options
    I think those sentences are about right. 

Any longer and you get the comparisons to people jailed for violence and how is that fair. Any shorter and not much of a deterrent and the general public feel aggrieved not taken seriously. 
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Jints said:
    Still more than some rapist get 
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    LenGlover said:
    Jints said:
    Not sure that’s accurate 
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    holyjo said:
    Wellred said:
    LenGlover said:
    Jints said:
    Not sure that’s accurate 
    It definitely is 
    Fury as Nicola Sturgeon's Scottish justice reforms see man, 21, who raped 13-year-old in park walk free because he is deemed too young to be sent to prison
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Wellred said:
    holyjo said:
    Wellred said:
    LenGlover said:
    Jints said:
    Not sure that’s accurate 
    It definitely is 
    Fury as Nicola Sturgeon's Scottish justice reforms see man, 21, who raped 13-year-old in park walk free because he is deemed too young to be sent to prison
    This is a very recent case and expected it go to appeal. Culprit was deemed too young for jail as at the time as he was 17. That was in a Scottish court under Scottish sentencing guidelines and both the judges decision and application of the guidelines meant this case got in the news.

Any other examples to make your point wellred, from the English legal system perhaps?
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    holyjo said:
    Wellred said:
    LenGlover said:
    Jints said:
    Not sure that’s accurate 
    It definitely is 
    This is a very recent case and expected it go to appeal. Culprit was deemed too young for jail as at the time as he was 17. That was in a Scottish court under Scottish sentencing guidelines and both the judges decision and application of the guidelines meant this case got in the news.

Any other examples to make your point wellred, from the English legal system perhaps?

Fewer than one in 60 rape cases recorded by the police last year resulted in a suspect being charged, analysis of Home Office figures seen by the Guardian reveals.

While there were 52,210 rapes recorded by police in England and Wales in 2020, only 843 resulted in a charge or a summons – a rate of 1.6%.

The figures will increase pressure on the government to deliver radical proposals to overhaul the treatment of rape by the criminal justice system in a long-awaited end-to-end review into how rape is investigated and prosecuted in England and Wales.

• Options
    This thread is about traffic chaos in Kent, useful traffic announcements may get lost in off topic comments.
  • Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    holyjo said:
    Wellred said:
    LenGlover said:
    Jints said:
    Not sure that’s accurate 
    It definitely is 

Fewer than one in 60 rape cases recorded by the police last year resulted in a suspect being charged, analysis of Home Office figures seen by the Guardian reveals.

While there were 52,210 rapes recorded by police in England and Wales in 2020, only 843 resulted in a charge or a summons – a rate of 1.6%.

The figures will increase pressure on the government to deliver radical proposals to overhaul the treatment of rape by the criminal justice system in a long-awaited end-to-end review into how rape is investigated and prosecuted in England and Wales.

This doesn't back up your point about sentencing. What you've posted is about charging rate- not length of sentence. For the pair on the bridge, I personally wouldn't have jailed them even half of that, and can't see how there's a comparison to be made to rapists. Anyway, back on subject..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wellred said:
    Wellred said:
    holyjo said:
    Wellred said:
    LenGlover said:
    Jints said:
    Not sure that’s accurate 
    It definitely is 

This doesn't back up your point about sentencing. What you've posted is about charging rate- not length of sentence. For the pair on the bridge, I personally wouldn't have jailed them even half of that, and can't see how there's a comparison to be made to rapists. Anyway, back on subject..
    My first one did like you say back to the subject 
  • Options
    Operation Brock is being put in place on the M20 this weekend, in anticipation of the queues likely at Dover next weekend, with the Bank Holiday and half term.

The M20 between junctions 7 & 9 is closed in both directions tonight from 8pm to 6am tomorrow. The traffic which ignores the official diversion via the M2 will therefore be directed through the centre of Maidstone, along the A20 all the way to Ashford. This creates misery for all the M20 users and those who live along the diversion.
  • Options
    Operation Brock is being put in place on the M20 this weekend, in anticipation of the queues likely at Dover next weekend, with the Bank Holiday and half term.

The M20 between junctions 7 & 9 is closed in both directions tonight from 8pm to 6am tomorrow. The traffic which ignores the official diversion via the M2 will therefore be directed through the centre of Maidstone, along the A20 all the way to Ashford. This creates misery for all the M20 users and those who live along the diversion.
    So only 1 french passport booth will be open then as usual.
  • Options

So only 1 french passport booth will be open then as usual.
    I've posted the same info on the HoC side of the forum, that is a better place to discuss the politics of this. I have posted to this thread to warn anyone who may be using the roads tonight.
  • Options
    Operation Brock is being removed this weekend which means that the M20 will be closed overnight yet again. Saturday night it is closed westbound between junctions 9 to 7 from 9pm to 6am. Sunday night it is closed in BOTH directions between junctions 7 to 9, from 9pm to 6am on Monday.

More disruption for everyone living along the diversion, this madness is never ending. No doubt Brock will go back on again at the beginning of the school holidays. The cost to tax payers must be enormous and the disruption Brock causes to Kent is totally out of proportion to any benefits.

• Options
    Don't worry Labour will be back in and Brexit will be gradually reversed. 
  • Options
    Looking at Google maps view of Kent this morning it shows that the roads are in chaos again. The M26 is closed westbound for the 4th day running putting enormous pressure on other routes, this to repair a burst water main. I hope they are working night and day to fix this.

Our old friend Operation Brock is being put in place again tonight, in anticipation of traffic chaos at Dover as tourists travel to France. The M20 will be closed in both directions between junctions 7 and 9 from 9pm tonight, until 6am tomorrow. Whenever this crazy 'traffic management' system is put in place, it causes further congestion in Kent as a breakdown or accident within the Brock section takes so long to clear, with the lack of access when you have only 2 lanes in each direction.  I guarantee that Brock will not be 'keeping Kent moving' this summer.
  • Options
    I have had confirmation from National Highways that the M2 is to be closed on the coastbound carriageway between junctions 4 and 5, from 8pm Friday 15 September to 6am Monday 18 September. The National Highways diversion is via the A229 at M2 J3, M20, A249 back to M2 junction 5.

There is a major event at the Detling Showground this weekend, so we can expect there to be a lot more traffic anyway.

No doubt the M20 will be a preferred route for many and therefore traffic will encounter the roadworks and reduced capacity at Junction 8. We can therefore expect another weekend of chaos in Kent just like last weekend.

• Options
    I have had confirmation from National Highways that the M2 is to be closed on the coastbound carriageway between junctions 4 and 5, from 8pm Friday 15 September to 6am Monday 18 September. The National Highways diversion is via the A229 at M2 J3, M20, A249 back to M2 junction 5.

There is a major event at the Detling Showground this weekend, so we can expect there to be a lot more traffic anyway.

No doubt the M20 will be a preferred route for many and therefore traffic will encounter the roadworks and reduced capacity at Junction 8. We can therefore expect another weekend of chaos in Kent just like last weekend.
    Thanks for the heads up - have to go from New Eltham to Medway and back on Saturday and my in laws have to do the reverse on Sunday. Usually use the M20 there and M2 back but will take the M20 and allow extra time as likely to be busy.
  • Options

Thanks for the heads up - have to go from New Eltham to Medway and back on Saturday and my in laws have to do the reverse on Sunday. Usually use the M20 there and M2 back but will take the M20 and allow extra time as likely to be busy.
    The traffic is usually bad after the Jct3 bluebell hill junction, so getting to MEdward isn’t an issue using A2/M2