Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ten years on from 7/7 bombings.....Is London safer now than it was then?

Comments

• Frisbee
  • Exactly the same IMO. There is no way to protect the city from people with a mind to cause atrocities if they have the determination, the means and the financial support.
  • Vaguely interesting article on the BBC today asking exactly this question.
    Unsurprisingly the conclusion was 'Yes and No'
  • No, you will never stop these people operating in small cells. We can stop some, but eventually they will succeed with another atrocity !
  • I believe that since then as a nation and the security services within it, We have averted more potential terrorist attacks since 7-7, so if it hadn't have happened maybe we would have been more vulnerable to an even bigger attack

Safer maybe not more vigilant definitely

• Personally think the answer is no and think the security services have done an outstanding job to date of foiling subsequent attacks. One will, sadly, slip through sooner or later though. Too many mentally unstable people being brainwashed by the IS cult.

Working in one of the more high risk areas of town and in a high rise building for a very Corporate employer it does make me think but no point worrying about something you have no control over.
  • I believe that since then as a nation and the security services within it, We have averted more potential terrorist attacks since 7-7, so if it hadn't have happened maybe we would have been more vulnerable to an even bigger attack

Head of counter terrorism today said that they'd averted 40 to 50 major incidents in the last 10 years.
  • Anybody see the bloke in London the other day walking about with an ISIS flag wrapped round him with his daughter on his shoulders. Police spoke to him but there weren't any grounds to arrest.
  • WS_Addick said:

Anybody see the bloke in London the other day walking about with an ISIS flag wrapped round him with his daughter on his shoulders. Police spoke to him but there weren't any grounds to arrest.

Do you think that some flags should be banned? Or are you against the carrying of children on shoulders?
  • Sponsored links:

• PL54 said:

I believe that since then as a nation and the security services within it, We have averted more potential terrorist attacks since 7-7, so if it hadn't have happened maybe we would have been more vulnerable to an even bigger attack

Head of counter terrorism today said that they'd averted 40 to 50 major incidents in the last 10 years.
    Ex head of counter terrorism. Now retired.
  • WS_Addick said:

Anybody see the bloke in London the other day walking about with an ISIS flag wrapped round him with his daughter on his shoulders. Police spoke to him but there weren't any grounds to arrest.

Yeah, I find it strange that the police have no power with something like that. Surely that flag is symbolic to terrorism and hatred??
  • WS_Addick said:

Yeah, I find it strange that the police have no power with something like that. Surely that flag is symbolic to terrorism and hatred??
    You want to ban people from holding flags?
  • WS_Addick said:

maybe the Police used a bit of noddle and decided against arresting him because no doubt it would have been filmed and imagine the spin that could have been put on arresting a muslim man and child.
  • I don't think that's what he said
  • Carter said:

I don't think that's what he said

It's not what I said but seeing as he asked that question I've answered him anyway.
  • Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

Chizz, do you support ISIS/ISIL/Islamic State ?
  • Sponsored links:

• ''Anybody see the bloke in London the other day walking about with an ISIS flag wrapped round him with his daughter on his shoulders. Police spoke to him but there weren't any grounds to arrest.''

Sadly our police are terrified of upsetting the Muslim community.
    We prefer paying some of the terrorist supporters £50,000 a year on benefits!
  • Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

I think any flag that represents racist/ethnic/religious hatred and intolerance should be banned. So, yes I would ban the display of the Confederate Flag, the Nazi Flag and the ISIS Flag.
  • edited July 2015
    Would the police be so understanding if I walked around Westminster with a Swasticka flag draped over my shoulders?
  • I remember recently seeing a veiled lady driving around Romford with black flags flying from her car. It left a bad taste.
  • I remember recently seeing a veiled lady driving around Romford with black flags flying from her car. It left a bad taste.

BatWoman?

Perhaps Chizz was in the car ?
  • Chizz said:

WS_Addick said:

In instances like this, on so many levels.

Would you think it's acceptable for someone to walk around draped in a swastika?

Seeing as 30 British people were murdered by a IS trained gunman last week, I think it's acceptable for our police to tell that scumbag to not wear it around the countries capital.

"Daddy, what's that flag you're wearing mean...?"
    I am playing devil's advocate here, but...

This thread is about a reprehensible attack on the freedom of Londoners to go about their business. The response - the *correct* response - is to carry on as usual, living our lives in a tolerant, all-encompassing way. There are very few cities who could stoically and steadfastly go about daily life, with the dignity London has managed. And part of the reason for that is this: we Londoners understand that we cannot succumb to people telling us what to do. We don't want people telling us whom we should pray to; what we must and must not wear; whom we have to marry; what we can eat; where we go. We Londoners know that it's not right to be told what you cannot do. And we also know that it's not right to tell others what they can and cannot do.

So, who decides that someone can't carry a certain flag? Not me. While I think everything that flag stands for is a disgusting, degrading, pathetic, abhorrent mix of mediaeval atrocity and nihilistic, brainwashing degradation, I also think that people should be allowed to wave a flag if they want to. (At the same time, I hope no-one in their right might *would* want to).

Ban a flag and you've stepped over the line towards fascism. Allow people the freedom to choose and, hopefully, they'll reject fascism and embrace freedom.

you sure it wasn't a funeral?
    It was a single car that had child seats in the back. It didn't look like it was in any funeral procession.