Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

water damaged I-phone

Does anyone have any good tips on how to repair a water damaged I-phone?

Does leaving it in a bowl of rice for 48 hrs really work?

Comments

• Bowl of rice and airing cupboard,
  • Give it a little tap?
  • Take out the sim card and battery and leave everything in the airing cupboard; this may work for a while but only if the damage is not too severe.
  • to be honest you're probably stuffed. I got some water in mine and it completely died....there are some little coloured tabs in the inner workings and if they change from (is it?) white to red you've had it
  • I thought they were just for the staff in store to prove water had got into it
  • Look at reviveaphone.com £15 should fix it.
  • Does anyone have any good tips on how to repair a water damaged I-phone?

Does leaving it in a bowl of rice for 48 hrs really work?

Only if you have the rice has chicken madras and a naan bread with it.

Seriously though, it worked for me. No harm in trying it
  • White wine usually does the trick
  • 2 minutes at 1000 watts in the microwave should sort it out.
  • Sponsored links:

• As Kiwi Valley said, there are two sensors in the iPhone that will trip if it comes into contact with water. This happened to my daughters phone. Sorry but if the sensors have been triggered the phone is broken.
  • Turn it off and then back on again.
  • Mine went down for three days, placed on a sunny window sill and bingo came back to life. Took a little while to charge up but now all back to normal
  • Bye-phone.
  • CAFCsayer said:

Oven for 10 minutes at 200

Serve with basmati rice

A delicious recipe
  • Put it in a bag of rice over night and asian people will come and fix it for you
  • Let me first offer my condolences, a water logged iPhone is a very tragic event. I agree with most everyone that setting it in rice will soak up much of the moisture, if that doesn't do the trick, you'll have to take it to an Apple Store. Had this problem last month and sadly my phone could not be saved so I had to get a new one (the story behind that is not worth mentioning)
  • Thanks for the advice people, NormadicAddick wins the price for the funniest answer

The phone is responding and charges very slowly but cuts out when it reaches 5% charge. Leave it on charge or back to the rice?
  • Silica gel is good for drying things out. Killed my iPod in the washing.machine a few years back and there was no bringing it back unfortunately. If the white dots change colour it voids the warranty it doesn't necessarily mean it is stuffed.

Have you managed to get all your stuff off of it?
  • Leave it drying. If you keep using it with moisture it will do further damage. Give it another few days...this warm weather will help
  • Sponsored links:

• Had an unfortunate experience with an iphone 4 last year that ended up down the toilet (yes, really!). I got it out very quickly and dried the obvious bits and stuck kitchen role into the various holes. Thought I had it dried out a it came back to left but then charged it up. It was obviously still wet a the charging killed it completely. New phone required.
  • Fell/Jumped into a lake with mine in my pocket, that's all I'll say
  • Apparently the best way is to let it dry out slowly. A wet phone dried out too quickly just causes condensation which just messes up more stuff. Apparently!!! Hope that helps anyone.
  • Take out the sim card and battery and leave everything in the airing cupboard; this may work for a while but only if the damage is not too severe.

Would like to see anyone take out the battery on an iPhone...they're grafted into the thing!
  • Wife dropped her iphone in bath. she got it going again but there are general rules to follow. Turn it off instantly. Circuits running will mess it up. Shack it vigorously to get the water out. Put it in rice submerged and leave in a warm dry place. The main problem is that the circuit board can rust when water contaminates it. Anyway, don't attempt to turn it on for about 5 days, however tempting, if there is water still in it, the switch on boost can blow the boards and it's not a good outcome. Wife's phone came back to life. On third day she tried it and didn't function right so she quickly turned it off. After 5th day it was turned on and over an hour or so it all settled down. A fault that developedlater however was the microphone stopped working properly as the circuit was damaged.
  • Sony Xperia's are great phones and water resistant.
  • Wife dropped her iphone in bath. A fault that developedlater however was the microphone stopped working properly as the circuit was damaged.

That's got to be a blessing, not having to listen to her?