Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nigel Pearson

Comments

• Options
    3 players under his watch including his son, insulted the owners country and people, surprised he wasn't sacked earlier saving face to Thai's is very important.
  • Options
    He did exceptionally well for Leicester over the last two seasons and, in a brutal results business, it is extremely unusual for someone in Pearson's position to get the sack.

As we know, he has had some issues recently and, whilst his sacking feels extremely harsh, I suppose the board have to take a view on what is likely to transpire with him next season. There were probably a number of factors in play but I suspect that the reputational impact of his behaviour is likely to have been fairly prominent.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Perhaps they should, if they're response afterwards was to maintain they 'can handle themselves' or whatever the line was he used. Fergie got away with a lot of crap due to his reputation and his status, Mourinho too, and that's wrong. But doesn't mean Pearson wasn't also wrong, nor does it change my opinion that regardless of his abilities as a manager he's got at least one screw far too loose for me to ever want him managing Charlton. I said 'for part of the season' and I meant it, the choking of a player was just one flashpoint. He was clearly not handling the pressure at all well for some considerable time and frankly I am glad that he DID manage to turn it around when he did - for the sake of the players he was working with.

As far as I can see Pearson received a one match ban for a confrontation with a "fan" who had been abusing both him and his players. He got a warning for the "throttling" of Macarthur and lost his cool in a conference with the media which was more of a tantrum than anything else.

And it worked too. In the same way as it worked for Fergie and works for Mourinho. Except the media were/are more scared of those two than they are of Pearson. If only for the fact that they can turn round and say "I'm not talking to you" or even "you're banned".

In each case Pearson was trying to protect his players and leading from the front in doing so. One could argue that Chris Powell was doing the same on at least two occasions when found guilty of being abusive to officials and receiving touchline bans as a result.

I didn't see too many people calling Peeters psychotic when he stood up to Rossler either. Equally, Parkinson never once came out and lambasted McCleod for assaulting the Northwich player shortly after half time in the Cup. And that was psychotic. Far worse than than a little "throttle" in my opinion which was laughed off by both the player and Pearson after the game.
  • Options

Pearson does everything a Club should expect of a Manager.

Gets the team playing attractive football, develops a siege mentality around the players and takes it from the media on their behalf when he has to.

How many other mangers with the resources that he had available to him (and when the side was all but relegated) and under the sort of pressure he was under at the time could have put a run together in the final nine games of seven wins, one draw and a sole defeat at the hands of the Premier League Champions?

This

• Options

An egotistical prick, a bully and above all he is a real life NIGEL

Well, you saved me from typing that, so thanks...........
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me to hear he kicked off about them sacking his son.
  • Options
    Who are the owners + where did the incident with his son occur= You're sacked Nige.
  • Options

3 players under his watch including his son, insulted the owners country and people, surprised he wasn't sacked earlier saving face to Thai's is very important.

Or at least moved to an inactive post!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure that, had Mourinho been Manager at Leicester, the owners would have taken exactly the same course of action. Or, had one of the players involved been worth £10 million, they would have sacked him too!
  • Options
    Except of course it wasn't Mourinho, nor were any of those players worth anything like that much so what is the point of that little strawman argument there?
  • Options

Sacked.

probably his son saying "Chew on it, you slanty eyed c***" didn't help the situation...
  • Options

Agreed. As soon as this happened, he was on borrowed time due to his son being involved.

Would love to be a fly on the wall the next time Pearson Jr calls in on mum and dad!
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Except of course it wasn't Mourinho, nor were any of those players worth anything like that much so what is the point of that little strawman argument there?

They weren't but such is the hypocrisy of football and fans. Had they been, the same rules simply wouldn't apply. Equally, as I've said already:

One could argue that Chris Powell was doing the same on at least two occasions when found guilty of being abusive to officials and receiving touchline bans as a result.

I didn't see too many people calling Peeters psychotic when he stood up to Rossler either. Equally, Parkinson never once came out and lambasted McCleod for assaulting the Northwich player shortly after half time in the Cup. And that was psychotic. Far worse than than a little "throttle" in my opinion which was laughed off by both the player and Pearson after the game.

Most of us on here I would like to think would be absolutely furious had a son of ours been involved in what the Leicester players did and would have told them accordingly - and that's even without taking into account the loss of both our and our son's job. How many of us, however, having vented our spleen on them, would have walked away from that son or not fought his corner?
  • Options
    I'm really surprised to find so many people up in arms over this, let alone comparing him to Fergie, and pondering what would've happened had it been Mourinho in charge at Leicester!!

No single thing Pearson did was worthy of sacking, but all together it added up to enough to put him on shaky ground, and as others have said, nobody here knows how he dealt with the case of his son. He might've been defending him, which wouldve been a terrible idea.

I think Leicester handled it really well. They didn't make a snap decision, they took their time and quietly ousted him in the close seasonable have themselves time to start the season with a new guy. Someone who might not require 7 straight wins to survive come April. Someone who won't make the club look so stupid so regularly.
  • Options
    The owners probably didn't give a toss about the orgy but used it as an excuse to sack a guy who they didn't rate. If they believed Pearson was the best person to keep Leicester up next season or that any of the players were half decent the decision would be different. All they care about is staying up and pocketing another £100m+.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm really surprised to find so many people up in arms over this, let alone comparing him to Fergie, and pondering what would've happened had it been Mourinho in charge at Leicester!!

No single thing Pearson did was worthy of sacking, but all together it added up to enough to put him on shaky ground, and as others have said, nobody here knows how he dealt with the case of his son. He might've been defending him, which wouldve been a terrible idea.

I think Leicester handled it really well. They didn't make a snap decision, they took their time and quietly ousted him in the close seasonable have themselves time to start the season with a new guy. Someone who might not require 7 straight wins to survive come April. Someone who won't make the club look so stupid so regularly.

Well it was their second attempt at doing so. The first was a complete and utter balls up.
  • Options

The owners probably didn't give a toss about the orgy but used it as an excuse to sack a guy who they didn't rate. If they believed Pearson was the best person to keep Leicester up next season or that any of the players were half decent the decision would be different. All they care about is staying up and pocketing another £100m+.

I doubt £100m means much to the owner he is worth around 2.5bn.
  • Options
    I think Pearson generated too many bad headlines for the owners, and his son was the final straw.
  • Options
    One thing that's always bothered me is why it's pronounced 'peer son' and not 'pear son'
  • Options

I doubt £100m means much to the owner he is worth around 2.5bn.
    I didn't know the owner was that rich. It's amazing that Billionaires own second tier clubs like Leicester and it's become so unremarkable.
  • Options

One thing that's always bothered me is why it's pronounced 'peer son' and not 'pear son'

Fair point but its pronounced pear as rhyming with hear.
  • Options

So why is a pear pronounced 'pair'. I give up.
  • Options

So why is a pear pronounced 'pair'. I give up.
    It's obviously to differentiate the two i.e. you wouldn't have a "pear" of blue tits or a "pair" shaped bottom would you?