Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP KAUTO STAR

A real legendary horse aged just 16

Seems like we have a RIP for mortals here's a legend

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Can I be the first to say thanks Colin. He was 15. Pedantry at it's finest.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/63102/sport-of-kings-discussion-thread#latest
  • Options
    day before my birthday - made me sad! favorite horse at the moment. RIP and thanks for all the cash you made me!
  • Options
    Sad to hear that, saw the dominating 36 length win in the flesh, was in complete awe at the majestical way Kauto traveled that day, made the other horses look like Blackpool donkeys
  • Options
    Underrated bass player.
  • Options
    A horse that really was a star. Won me a few quid. Had the pleasure of seeing him in the horse flesh on a few occasions. Sad to hear he's gone.
  • Options
    Deserved his own thread if a geezer who played the Tin whistle to 5blokes in.the tramshed once gets his own
  • Options
    Thought this was the guy in the pink panther movies.
  • Options
    expensive doner kebab that'll be
  • Options

expensive doner kebab that'll be

...or a cheap lasagne
  • Options
    Rip kauto

Why they sent you to dressage we'll never know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does this mean he's not going to buy Charlton?
  • Options

A real legendary horse.

Sorry, now I'm confused was he real or was he legendary?
  • Options
    I don't think he died a natural death. Despite his legendary status he was "put down" by humans rather than nursed back to health. A factor that suggests his value had disappeared in someone's eyes. Sad but that's the horsey world for you.
  • Options
    Yeah he was put to sleep

Apparently Paul Nicholls is fuming but the owner kept sending him out to events and he never got a chance to shag his days away as a stud
  • Options
    Carter said:

Yeah he was put to sleep

Apparently Paul Nicholls is fuming but the owner kept sending him out to events and he never got a chance to shag his days away as a stud

Not sure he'd have been much use at stud!
  • Options
    Was he gelded too? Poor sod
  • Options
    Carter said:

You try jumping fences with your bits dangling free!
  • Options
    Former trainer, Paul Nicholls. fell out with the owner Clive Smith back in April 2011 when he wanted to retire KS following a lack lustre display at Punchestown. Smith wanted none of it and apparently the two even had an altercation in front of hundreds of guests at Nicholls' annual owners' day.

A few months later this re-surfaced when Nicholls, like most people, wanted KS to retire gracefully to the paddock. Smith, for whatever motivation, wanted to elongate the old boy's career by making him learn and compete, at the age of almost 12, in dressage events.

Clifford Baker, head lad to Paul Nicholls, said of the horse's new career:

"It was sad to see him leave and it took me a long time to get over it. I knew him inside out and back to front and we all knew he wasn't going to be a dressage horse. He was a handful at times, and he was never going to settle down and trot around a dressage ring, so it was a great source of regret.

We would have loved to have given him the retirement he deserved and it was sad too for the boys and girls who looked after him - Sonja, Nick and Rose - who were all brilliant with him in the eight years we had him"

Finally this week, not only Nicholls but those very staff that had cared for him during his career were not told about the accident until KS had been put down i.e. a week after his fall.

It would be easy to view Smith as a hard nosed businessman who made his millions building a commodity and selling it - in his case golf courses. KS was another commodity who won approximately £2.4m in prizemoney but who, all of a sudden, was worthless and a cost to him.

Perhaps though we see Smith's true colours through just one quote about Nicholls:

"To be honest, I was disappointed from early on that Paul didn't pronounce Kauto's name correctly," he said. "There was no excuse but he didn't back off."

To Smith the correct pronounciation of "Kauto" ate away at him far more, it seems, than the horse's welfare.

• Options
    Sad way for it to end for the Star.
  • Options

Carter said:

You try jumping fences with your bits dangling free!
    Shows how little I know, I thought it was only problematic horses that met that fate.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Can I be the first to say thanks Colin. He was 15. Pedantry at it's finest.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/63102/sport-of-kings-discussion-thread#latest

*its