Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Music Festivals and You (innocent virgin or overindulged wench)

So with Glastonbury and the festival season once again upon us...

I've never been to a music festival. A Sunday afternoon trip to Finsbury Park for a Capital Fm roadshow to see Aswad headlining was the closest I've come.

Is that common or unusual to get to nearly 40 and never having been to a festival?

So what's your festival back catalogue? What you done, where you done it.

What's been your highlights / lowlights, and funny stories and everything in between.

Comments

• Options
    Never been.
  • Options
    Reading

Leeds

Boardmasters
  • Options
    I've been to hundreds of gigs, but never a festival.

Camping, wellies and mud, is nowt to do with music, for me.
  • Options
    Done all of em, most of them multiple times. Most were shit and a letdown. Last year's Sonisphere was the exception that proves the rule. Best. Lineup. Ever.
  • Options
    V for the day in 97 and weekend in 2001
    Reading in 2001
    Leeds for the day at some point
    T in the Park for the day 2002
    Bennicassim 2008
    Glastonbury around 10 times

Too many stories to tell. Some of the best times ever. Nowadays seem to do London day gig type things which are fine but would love to go to Glastonbury in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    Been to many over the last 25 years. Some good some bad. Reading 92 was the best by far, Dave Grohl was there @AFKABartram

Went to bearded theory a month ago where the highlight was mr motivator
  • Options
    Wonder Stuff lol.
  • Options
    Went to original V festival in 96 and various other years but would stay in hotel couple of stations up the line rather than tent it.
  • Options
    Knebworth in 80 something I think it was Queens last gig with Fred. Plus a few others.
    Can't stand them rather see bands in a club with about 400 other punters. But millions enjoy them so what do I know.
    Played at a few of the smaller festivals, much prefer that side of the fence.
  • Options
    Never, to my regret Glastonbury. I should have been there most of the 90s, but went to Reading instead. Some great highlights though including the first time I saw Nirvana on the Friday. Oh and The Blue Aeroplanes in the tent was special. Loads of great stuff.

Apart from that TruckFest a few times and ATP down at Camber on a few occasions but that's in chalets. Fuelled on Stella though it was great!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:

Been to many over the last 25 years. Some good some bad. Reading 92 was the best by far, Dave Grohl was there @AFKABartram

Went to bearded theory a month ago where the highlight was mr motivator

Pavement mid afternoon and Teenage Fanclub in the rain whilst the mud took over. Great stuff. Had to miss quite a lot of Nirvana to get a train.
  • Options
    Never camped at a festival but have been to various days of festivals. Donnington (for the old Monsters of Rock), Sonisphere and Reading.

@AFKABartram, surely Oasis at Knebworth was more a festival atmosphere with a load of bands than anything else you've seen? From memory, we saw the Manics, Ocean Colour Scene and The Prodigy before Oasis came on!
  • Options
    Shit, I forgot about Benicassim! @suzisausage was that the year with Sigur Ros/Leonard Cohen/Morrissey?
    It was so hot, didn't get there early enough to get under the sunshades. Showers were good though and I are the best chicken I'd ever had at a restaurant on the beach but by then I was starving. Hotels are the way to go!

Going back to Glastonbury I was always shit-scared (pardon the pun) of the toilet stories. Reading had a nice walk to the clean toilets of
    Caversham.

Love festivals (and gigs), I think it's so much more entertaining watching live music from artists you love and others that you haven't heard of than 95% of Charlton matches. (Looking back now it makes me wonder why I travelled back from Reading on a Festival Saturday if we had a home game).
  • Options
    I'll get destroyed for it but have been to Latitude the past two years and have loved every single moment of it. Cannot wait until it comes around again in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    JohnBoyUK said:

Never camped at a festival but have been to various days of festivals. Donnington (for the old Monsters of Rock), Sonisphere and Reading.

@AFKABartram, surely Oasis at Knebworth was more a festival atmosphere with a load of bands than anything else you've seen? From memory, we saw the Manics, Ocean Colour Scene and The Prodigy before Oasis came on!

Was there as well, quite near the back. Seeing a bit of the crowd (around 20,000 people) go absolutely mental to The Prodigy was a true sight to behold. Stevenage was shit though ;)
  • Options
    Never fancied it. I'd get to wound up at the self-indulgent flag wavers and shoulder-riders blocking peoples views. It would be a non-stop 'Siddarn' fest if I was to go.
  • Options
    Doing decor in shangri la at Glastonbury again this year, been here 7 days already.. Is a great couple of weeks and love every minute of it
  • Options
    For me festivals are like the old Mitch Hedberg line - "You can’t be like pancakes… all exciting at first, but then by the end, you’re f***ing sick of ‘em."
  • Options
    40 next year, never been to a festival and never had the urge BUT the MGMT songs 'Kids' and 'Time to Pretend' do something to me and want to be there watching them. Not really a music buff either.

Never had a favourite song since Oasis days but these two songs get me for some reason

Odd.
  • Options
    Beegan with the infamous Isle of Wight in 1970. (Shivers up the spine line-up), Weeley in 1971. (More British acts, but equally memorable.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Glastonbury was always the best , not been since 2010 having been a dozen times or so but will be going for the day this year on Friday leaving around 6am Saturday so looking forward to seeing how it may have changed.

Done all the other major festivals at least a couple of times each plus countless other smaller UK festivals and a couple of foreign ones for anything from a few hours to a couple of days.

Only one I haven't done yet that I'd like to is T in the park.

Oh and in my opinion if it doesn't have camping or is in a royal park it's not a festival it's a concert.
  • Options
    I've been to hundreds of gigs and still go (Clean Bandit in Brighton tomorrow), but I've never been to a festival - even in my youth. Blackbushe in 1978 was the nearest with Dylan, Clapton, Graham Parker etc., but that was a one dayer. More recently, I've been to Hyde Park a few times but the crowds and undrinkable beer make it an unexciting prospect.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    V festival is walkable from my house so went there 96 to about 2009 most years. God kids now and I'm not the type to take them there. Wish I had been to Glastonbury, but reading is more my kind of music.

The line ups for V are more like a radio 1 roadshow spread out over two days now... My highlight there were the likes of Queens of the stone age, foo fighters etc.

V97 was amazing... Headlined by blur and the prodigy. When you live in Chelmsford, that's like seeing oasis and the stone roses at the same gig in Manchester
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Knebworth in 80 something I think it was Queens last gig with Fred.

I was at that too. Quo, Big Country and Belouis Some supported. I only did Glastonbury once in 91. Was on a different planet for most of it but remember hating living like a tramp for 3 days. Done a few one day gigs Hyde Park etc but none involving camping.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Knebworth in 80 something I think it was Queens last gig with Fred.

I was at that too. Quo, Big Country and Belouis Some supported. I only did Glastonbury once in 91. Was on a different planet for most of it but remember hating living like a tramp for 3 days. Done a few one day gigs Hyde Park etc but none involving camping.
    Yes you are right and tickets were £14.50
  • Options

Done all of em, most of them multiple times. Most were shit and a letdown. Last year's Sonisphere was the exception that proves the rule. Best. Lineup. Ever.

This was the only festival I've done where camping was involved but it was a belter as Leroy says.I would do another one but I'm not to flush with spare cash at the moment.

I did Desertfest in Camden earlier this year as well which was also very good.

• Options
    Loads of gigs but only ever one festival, Isle of Wight, a few years ago.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

Loads of gigs but only ever one festival, Isle of Wight, a few years ago.

Same for me - but the IoW was 1970! I was too young (13) to really appreciate it but 45 years on it's still an 'I was there' thing.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Was there as well, quite near the back. Seeing a bit of the crowd (around 20,000 people) go absolutely mental to The Prodigy was a true sight to behold. Stevenage was shit though ;)
    Thought Oasis were average to say the least. OCS were the highlight that day. Worst gig I've ever been to tbh.

To be fair though, we had a pretty sh*t day that day all in all, including starting the day with 9 of us split between two cars, being involved in a multiple pile-up on the M25 and one of the cars got written off and left on the hard shoulder and the old bill gave us a lift to the nearest railway station which took us into Stevenage. Didnt get back until 4-5am as we had to get a late train back to Kings Cross and then walk back to Trafalgar Square to get the Night Bus. By the time we'd got back to London on the train, the other car still hadnt got out of the car park.