Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

rubbish collection

just done some minor renovation on my kitchen so need to dispose of some old kitchen vinyl flooring a few cupboards, some old garden furniture and old kids toys from garden etc, just wondered if anyone knows of an alternative to hiring a skip as I just got a price on one and it was £225 quid for the weekend which seems a little ridiculous as there's not actually that much there although too much to fit in the car and take to the dump. any advice would be greatly received thanks. btw im in the barnehurst area.

Comments

• edited June 2015
    I don't know whether this will help you but my local council runs a "large items" pick up service. They charge a fee but it's a good deal better than that! They don't take some stuff - like rubble, etc but might be worth speaking with your council or looking at their web site?
  • Council might do pick ups, or Freecycle any decent stuff. Otherwise, a few trips to the dump...
  • just done some minor renovation on my kitchen so need to dispose of some old kitchen vinyl flooring a few cupboards, some old garden furniture and old kids toys from garden etc, just wondered if anyone knows of an alternative to hiring a skip as I just got a price on one and it was £225 quid for the weekend which seems a little ridiculous as there's not actually that much there although too much to fit in the car and take to the dump. any advice would be greatly received thanks. btw im in the barnehurst area.

Depends how much hassle you're willing to put yourself through. Garden furniture and kids toys you should be able to get rid of free of charge at Bromley rubbish tip - theoretically they should charge you £3 as a non-resident, but they rarely bother. The flooring and cupboards would be classed as "Chargeable".

Sevenoaks tip lets you get rid of anything you like free of charge as long as you come by car rather than van(you can use certain types of trailer). I saved myself a fortune driving down from Lewisham to get rid of rubble sacks from my garden.

Would be interested to hear if anyone knows how much these licensed rubbish collection companies cost.
  • You need to get an elephant bag, if too big for one of them phone another couple of skip places.that price is way too much
  • Hire a van and head for the countryside.

• Carter said:

You need to get an elephant bag, if too big for one of them phone another couple of skip places.that price is way too much

Won't that involve a trunk call?
  • Hire a van and head for the countryside.

Unfortunately there are far too many low life scum who actually do this. Not only do they cause great harm to wildlife, it costs tax payers millions of pounds every year that could be better spent elsewhere.
  • They don't even drive to the countryside near me.

I could have a good few hours sleep when out walking the dog I see so many dumped mattresses. Weird.

• if there's not too much to dispose of, set your alarm for 02:00 hours and then throw it over your next door neighbour's garden, towards the bottom of it.

by the time they notice you will have forgotten about it and can then deny all knowledge once they question you.

if they present you with sketchy CCTV footage of someone throwing stuff over to their back garden, just blame foxes.

all bases covered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:

You need to get an elephant bag, if too big for one of them phone another couple of skip places.that price is way too much

Hippo Bag ?
  • Freecycle has been mentioned. Worth a punt on there as people take absolutely anything, no shame. Only used it once to pick up a spotless office chair for free but keep the alerts because sometimes they are just plain weird!
  • used this company recently www.skywasteremoval.com had a huge amount of household rubbish once our tenant moved out, they basically filled their lorry and took it off, paid the price (cheaper than a skip / permit etc plus I didn't actually have to load it myself)

they'll pretty much do a same day service, this was in Bexleyheath

they charge depending on how much rubbish there is

would highly recommend
  • I've used the below company a few times - quick, efficient and can be trusted

http://www.londonandkentclearanceservices.com/services-available/rubbish-clearance/
  • Put it outside on the street with a chain around it and a sign saying "Do Not Touch".

Guaranteed it'll be gone within a day!
  • thanks everyone for the advice managed to get it sorted.