Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Munich

To break away from the gomez discussion have any of you learned colleagues been there as, I am going at the end of the week for 6 days.

Are there any do's or don'ts must see's etc.

I am planning to have a day in salzburg visit dachau concentration camp and the Allianz stadium whilst i am there plus of course a few beer gardens.

Comments

• Options
    Munich is a very nice city. Nothing too remarkable but the centre is very pleasant to mooch around. I suppose the must do is The Hofbräuhaus Beer Hall. ( the one Adolf Hitler spoke in). The Main Square and Town Hall. Allianze Stadium is a decent underground ride north and a easy 15 min walk from the station. You can get stadium tours in English every so often. Both club shops worth a look. Reasonable value in British terms. Bus tour is worth it to see the overall picture. I liked the market square and the open air beer garden frequented by the local shoppers.
  • Options
    Dachau is a must see and Munich zoo Is worth a look too and if you have the time Neuschwanstein Castle (head for Fussen station) it's about 90mins train ride away.
  • Options
    Dachau is as grim as you would expect. Glad I went never going back
  • Options
    The Englischer Garten is one of the very nicest parks in Europe
  • Options
    Just get in those beer halls and gardens. Did a cracking stag do there last year - good City. Shame the season is not on as we did an 1860 game which was brilliant.
  • Options
    I absolutely loved the place. All the beer halls are great, parks wonderful. Really enjoyed watching the surfers on one of the rivers in the parks, mad set up.
  • Options
    Agree with all the above.

One thing that has not been mentioned is that in the beer halls and parks, the standard beer glass is a litre. One litre. That's 2.27 pints. And not including the head :-) You have been warned.

I could be wrong but I think the BMW museum is there, and is supposed to be good.
  • Options
    red_murph said:

I absolutely loved the place. All the beer halls are great, parks wonderful. Really enjoyed watching the surfers on one of the rivers in the parks, mad set up.

The surfers in the Englisher Garten is one of the most unexpected things I've ever seen. Imagine turning a corner in Greenwich park and finding half a dozen people surfing on a few yards of fast moving stream surrounded by painful looking rocks.

There's also a 5,000 seat Bier Garten with a Chinesse pagoda in the middle in that park too.

My only advice is to remember when you're out for a beer drinking from steins, you haven't just drank six pints and you're fine - you've drank six litres and might have trouble navigating your way through the beer hall.

• Options
    edited June 2015

The Englischer Garten is one of the very nicest parks in Europe

Lived just out Munich for about 6 months a couple of years back and this was the one place I always made sure I went to when in the city. Great beer garden, nice river/stream you can have a dip in, watch people surfing.

There are loads of amazing places you can see from Munich. If you have time visit some of the lakes, I lived in starnberg and sitting next to starnberger see in the sun is a pretty nice way to spend an afternoon. Neuschwanstein Castle is stunning and worth a visit. Check out the Bavaria card, unlimited travel throughout Bavaria. Pretty sure we got to Salzburg on it. Andechs monastery is also close by, they brew their own beer and sell some great food, especially if you are partial to a sausage and pretzel!
    Watch out for their public holidays, they love them and there are quite a few things that close on them.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    Thanks guys for all your helpful comments..I intend to visit the olympic stadium also ( where the israeli athletes were kidnapped or killed).

I believe the BMW museum may be there also....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2015

Thanks guys for all your helpful comments..I intend to visit the olympic stadium also ( where the israeli athletes were kidnapped or killed).

I believe the BMW museum may be there also....

In 1971 I was hitch hiking back to England from what was then Yugoslavia/Croatia .. I was almost broke .. met an Irish guy in a Munich café he offered me a job 'off the cards' working on the Olympic Stadium .. was there a few weeks as a brickies labourer/hod carrier .. then the Polizei had a raid looking for illegal workers (pre EEC/EU), I was found and given 12 hours to get outta town, in fact outta Germany or be deported .. took the next train to Strasbourg and carried on hitching through France .. them WAS the days