Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Depressed and Angry!

Comments

• Options
    Re someone mentioning Valley Gold..I am an original now 27 years member, i went in it to help us back to the Valley and was so glad the money then got routed to provide an academy for players playing for Charlton. I am not in it to provide players for Liverpool or anyone else.
  • Options

Why did you renew your 2015/16 season ticket 5 months early?
    You should have spent that dough on a well-earned vacation.
    If you're Joe Gomez & Liverpool come calling why would you hang around SE9 & SE7. Methinks Reality cheque required.
    Potential £6m makes it a very good deal & if the lad doesn't fulfill promise then we've banked £3.5m.
    I'd be a tad worried if we're still in the same boat personnel wise come July 19.
    Don't panic Mr Mainwaring the Flems will come to the rescue.

Reality cheque! Nice one, sums it up well in two words.
  • Options

We are one of one of several football clubs in the Football League that every time they bring through a promicing youngster they are going to have the big clubs sniffing around and they will go for what seems like peanuts. I'm sure fans of Bolton will have same conversation. As will the likes of Forest. All clubs like us can do is make sure these promicing players are tied down to long contracts so if big clubs come in they have to pay £3.5m with add ons instead of a tribunal fee of half a mill with NO add ons what so ever. So we maybe getting £3m more now than we would have done had he been out of contract. There is of course the risk of add ons not kicking in if he does not make the require number of appearances. In an ideal world of course I would want more for Joe now. We just need to get the best deal we can. But it's the way it's going for football league clubs like us and of course it frustrates me big time. It does not just frustrate me for Charlton but for all clubs in the Football League.

It spoils football ultimately.
  • Options
    I can see where you are coming from Essex Richard.

I did exactly the same as you but expected this and worse. It's what Charlton have done for most of the 52 years I have supported them.

Duchatelet is a Gliksten for the EU. He has his footballing European Masterplan and will shuffle players around like panini cards or get rid if he perceives a profit of some description.

In my 52 years my view is that we have been mugged when we sell players every time bar two.

Len Glover (British record for a winger) and Darren Bent.

Don't forget the Charlton discount factor. Spurs paid £6 million for an untried Southampton right back, Gareth Bale, at the same time Charlton sold the current England right back for around half that figure.

It's what we do and always have done.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I did exactly the same as you but expected this and worse. It's what Charlton have done for most of the 52 years I have supported them.

Duchatelet is a Gliksten for the EU. He has his footballing European Masterplan and will shuffle players around like panini cards or get rid if he perceives a profit of some description.

In my 52 years my view is that we have been mugged when we sell players every time bar two.

Don't forget the Charlton discount factor. Spurs paid £6 million for an untried Southampton right back, Gareth Bale, at the same time Charlton sold the current England right back for around half that figure.

Ah yes, blame the EU :-)))

I think if you would be fair you'd have to concede that we got fair value for Parker too, not least because we did not wish to sell, and despite facing a number of dirty tricks, none of them instigated by the EU :-)
  • Options
    If sky sports are correct and the fee is 3.5 m and that's it, Charlton have had their pants pulled down. Given a run in Liverpools first team and injury free, he will play for England in the next few years. Good luck to the boy though, quality player, nice comments about Charlton on his departure, hope he gets a decent reception when he returns at anytime.
  • Options
    drama queen alert
  • Options
    Why care about something so much that you have no control over?

• Options
    Called being a football fan, we expect passion, the next minute to not care so much.
  • Options
    "Don't forget the Charlton discount factor. Spurs paid £6 million for an untried Southampton right back, Gareth Bale, at the same time Charlton sold the current England right back for around half that figure."

That £6 million untried player went on to be sold for £82 million so it turned out the initial fee was a good price.

When drawing this sort of comparison the best clichés to use are Andy Carroll and Seth Johnson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:

Really?
  • Options
    Must admit, i have some sympathy with Dickies comments.
    Beyond all the patronising comments, it hurts that we seem to have been shafted ...again.
    Yes, i have supported the club for a long time, like many, and i/we always know that we are /will always be a selling club, i've seen the likes of Len Glover/Alan Campbell/Derek Hales/Parker/Bowyer/Walsh/Poyet go to 'bigger' clubs hoping/wishing that we could have held on to them - you sort of get used to it over the years, and sorta accept it - however, this one in particular seems to have hit home the most with me.
    We have definitely been shafted over this deal - is it the incompetence of the staff re the contract that JG had?, is it agents competence shafting us?/is it RD not really caring? - who knows, maybe its a mixture of all of them.However,as AFKA says, you have only got to look further afield in South London to see how maybe transfers should be done (Zaha) - how much did they get for him 17m? - and transfer back to them for a year.
    If it was money then surely who's got it right?
    This is a total cock-up and we all know it.

Ultimately, Its the hope that gets you- i'm just getting fed up with having that hope every season and always being deflated even before a ball gets kicked knowing that we have no real ambition.

I suggested some time ago that moving away from the Valley to the peninisular was something that maybe we should be looking at in order to move onwards-and-upwards , but was met with ridicule and patronising comments from others on here - its my view that having supporters like that will mean that we will remain Little ol-Charlton forever (until we die a natural death).If thats what you want, then i dont.!
    In these days when West Ham are moving into Olympic stadium , Chelsea are looking to move into Twickers temporarily, we need to progress- we need to move forward - Its no good saying that we got 3.5 mil for him - how much was JBG worth a couple of weeks ago? - surely that would have been the better business ?? This is a guy who in a years time would prob have been worth more than double that,

There i was, looking forward to a new season, with the usual hope that maybe we could do'something' .
    Its the hope that gets you, but hey,ho - if Chelsea do move into Twickers, its around the corner from me, and they will likely have some 'extra' season tickets available.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Huskaris said:

One thing that I would say regarding everything that's happened today with Joe Gomez.

It to me shows the real strategy of the owner... We know that the strategy is to promote youth, for me the question was whether this youth would be the foundation/core for us to build on in the future. For me the sale of Joe shows that it might not be...

Instead maybe the idea is to bring in a bunch of journeymen on the cheap, whilst playing young talent, effectively in a shop window, to be sold on when the price is right...

Spot on in my view, and similiar to what I said a few weeks ago. Although in some circumstances selling players that are worth far more to you when sold, than they are day to day on the pitch.

The money will more than likely be invested in youth or development/players with potential, as journeymen are only part of the picture if they are getting a second chance, if you get my meaning.

Ambition/promotion will only ever be a bi product /bonus of such and approach, if enough of the speculation pays off and we happen to hit on a decent coach. Staying in the Championship is important for adding value due to the location and standard needed and therefore journeymen may come in to steady the ship, but to all appearances we are part of an experiment.
  • Options
    razil said:

Huskaris said:

One thing that I would say regarding everything that's happened today with Joe Gomez.

It to me shows the real strategy of the owner... We know that the strategy is to promote youth, for me the question was whether this youth would be the foundation/core for us to build on in the future. For me the sale of Joe shows that it might not be...

Instead maybe the idea is to bring in a bunch of journeymen on the cheap, whilst playing young talent, effectively in a shop window, to be sold on when the price is right...

Spot on in my view, and similiar to what I said a few weeks ago. Although in some circumstances selling players that are worth far more to you when sold, than they are day to day on the pitch.

The money will more than likely be invested in youth or development/players with potential, as journeymen are only part of the picture if they are getting a second chance, if you get my meaning.

Ambition/promotion will only ever be a bi product /bonus of such and approach, if enough of the speculation pays off and we happen to hit on a decent coach. Staying in the Championship is important for adding value due to the location and standard needed and therefore journeymen may come in to steady the ship, but to all appearances we are part of an experiment.
    In other words, to bring along another youngster who will be sold for feck all.
  • Options
    Depends how much ur paying for him, thats what effects the bottom line.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    3.5m for JG, in my eyes, is feck all- however it wants to be portrayed.
  • Options
    razil said:

Huskaris said:

Charlton Alexandra.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

razil said:

Huskaris said:

Charlton Alexandra.
    And look where its got them. If thats the blueprint, then i want away.
  • Options

Think you need to read what those more ITK are saying about the fee on the Joe Gomez thread, Pres....

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Think you need to read what those more ITK are saying about the fee on the Joe Gomez thread, Pres....

OK, thanks Fanny, will do.
  • Options
    As my 2 and a half years old step son would say "silly boy" !!
  • Options
    Just to let everyone know, Our first signing of importance last year was on June 24th and that was Igor, so don't be upset, get excited for the coming weeks!!
  • Options
    I would rather we kept JG for a another year after telling him that we are going to have a shot at the prem by bringing in new players! But that ain't gonna happen with this regime
  • Options
    I understand the frustration and I hoped that RDC's clout would give us more bargaining power (maybe it did).

But, remember that we attract the young talent in the first place by giving them just this opportunity. We wouldn't get half the talent to come to us if we weren't such a good pathway to top premiership sides. I'm told we explicitly sell to the kids in that way and that Gomez was no different.

It's easy for us to see that he would benefit from first team football at Charlton and be worth even more but he will have nagging fears of injury and the temptation of more money than most of us will ever make. And fear sells more than greed.

Last, the club knows there's plenty of talent where Joe came from and of course they will continue to bring in players - as I've said before, RDC's business plan won 't be limited to bleeding several million a year in cost for several years. The big prize is always going to be promotion - not asset stripping at our level, there'll never be enough in it for the outlay.

• Options
    Huskaris said:

I've been saying this for years.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Do we know there wasn't a sell on? I think we would get a sell on if he was out of contract so hard to see how there wouldn't be if he has a contract.
  • Options
    Tutt-Tutt said:

razil said:

Huskaris said:

Charlton Alexandra.
    I patented that :smile: