Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Supervolcano about to erupt...

2»

Comments

• Yes it could happen and the big yellow thing in the sky could also fall out.
  • Shades of 'Krakatoa: East of Java' .. a hit disaster movie when I were a nipper .. that is the geological history of the world .. upheaval, disaster, serenity, ice age, tropical age, continental shift and drift .. don't worry about it .. unless you own a house in Indonesia or the west coast of America .. 'California tumbles into the sea .. that'll be the day I go back to Anadale' .. Steely Dan
  • Indonesia gotta be the worst place to live. Cant go a week without a flood, earthquake, volcanic eruption, typhoon or plane crash.
  • That's what I thouht Muttley. Yellowstone Caldera is due about now too, but these things don't come on the dot of every x millions of years. There are huge variations. And as you said, in geology, 10,000 years would be nothing (though we might be in another ice age by then - the weather is a completely different kettle of fish)
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Winter is coming... It lasted ten years last time. Is it possible for anyone to survive that?

Move to Lancashire and find out...
  • I think different timescales are being used. Our lifetimes are so short they don’t register so it can be overdue and us, our children and our children’s children still have a decent chance of missing it. It will happen, but it could be tomorrow or in a thousand years. In terms of the age of the earth, a thousand years is nothing.

Spot on. It's all about scale. The scale in which we measure time and the scale in which we exist given our size in the universe. The example I used of the earth's magnetic field flipping from north to south. Although 'overdue' is a process that takes years.
  • Shades of 'Krakatoa: East of Java' .. a hit disaster movie when I were a nipper .. that is the geological history of the world .. upheaval, disaster, serenity, ice age, tropical age, continental shift and drift .. don't worry about it .. unless you own a house in Indonesia or the west coast of America .. 'California tumbles into the sea .. that'll be the day I go back to Anadale' .. Steely Dan

Remember the film very well, Lincs - and the interesting fact that the real Krakatoa was actually 'West' of Java!!
  • Hmmm. Just booked a trip to Malaysia and Indonesia for September :(
  • Hmmm. Just booked a trip to Malaysia and Indonesia for September :(

Don't be tempted to strip on a mountain top they don't like that
  • Sponsored links:

Stupid post. This is far more likely to happen in our lives than the sun burning out!
  • Addickted said:

If the experts have no idea when an eruption is going to happen, how comes it's overdue?

More chance of being hit by a rogue meteorite............ According to some 'experts'.

Well you look back and see how often it has erupted in the past and hey presto you work out when it's likely to erupt again.

• I have sold all my gold and moved to a survivalist community in a rural location I can't reveal to you.

I will live out the nuclear winter reading old posts on Netaddicks alongside Two Sheds while we laugh at all of you who didn't take his advice.
  • Addickted said:

If the experts have no idea when an eruption is going to happen, how comes it's overdue?

More chance of being hit by a rogue meteorite............ According to some 'experts'.

Well you look back and see how often it has erupted in the past and hey presto you work out when it's likely to erupt again.

I see.

So how many times has it erupted over the past 10 million years?

• Knowing Charlton, we will get into the FA Cup final and be winning 7-0 against Millwall and then the apocalypse will dawn in the 92nd minute and match is abandoned.
  • edited June 2015

Knowing Charlton, we will get into the FA Cup final and be winning 7-0 against Millwall and then the apocalypse will dawn in the 92nd minute and match is abandoned.

Don't be so ridiculous.

Both us reaching a cup final and being 7 - 0 up v Millwall are far more unlikely than an apocalypse
  • No need to worry about meteorites. Someone's got that covered.

https://www.ted.com/talks/phil_plait_how_to_defend_earth_from_asteroids?language=en
  • Knowing Charlton, we will get into the FA Cup final and be winning 7-0 against Millwall and then the apocalypse will dawn in the 92nd minute and match is abandoned.

Probably won't be replayed.
  • I think the Yellowstone caldera goes off on average every 650,000 years, but the lasts eruption was 800,000 years ago, so it is therefore presumed to be close to another eruption. That doesn't mean it will be soon, and it will probably happen when we are all long gone and won't have to worry about it.

That said, if it did happen soon, or a big meteorite hits earth, or the sun implodes, or MERS biologically merges with HIV to create Mercedes and spreads globally, we are all in trouble!

Is that you, Professor Hawking? Welcome to the site...
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

I think the Yellowstone caldera goes off on average every 650,000 years, but the lasts eruption was 800,000 years ago, so it is therefore presumed to be close to another eruption. That doesn't mean it will be soon, and it will probably happen when we are all long gone and won't have to worry about it.

That said, if it did happen soon, or a big meteorite hits earth, or the sun implodes, or MERS biologically merges with HIV to create Mercedes and spreads globally, we are all in trouble!

This is the voice of reason!

It's a bit like, yes we did beat Millwall x years ago. There is however no likelihood we will in the near future, so why worry about it?
  • Chizz said:

Volcanoes are pretty cool.
    ----------------------

WHEN it erupts - it will shoot out an estimated 2,800km3 of rock, magma and lava. This will be sufficient to plunge the Earth into a nuclear winter for several years, reducing global temperatures to a mini ice age and wiping out several species - possibly including man.

Exciting, huh?

Yeah. Can't wait !
    I think you'll find volcanoes are pretty hot. Now avalanches they are cool.