Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The great BBQ catastrophe

edited June 2015 in Not Sports Related
It wasn't quite a catastrophe but it was close.

I held my annual BBQ yesterday. We had more guests than usual at around 40, including 10 children between 6 months and 6 years old.

About two hours into the cooking, as I tossed on the remaining sausages, someone pointed out flames were coming from the side of the set up. I'd noticed the thing was flairing up more than normal, but I hadn't noticed the jet of flames protruding from gas canister.

We immediately evacuated the area, and I grabbed my small extinguisher and fired it at the ensuing blaze. It briefly had an effect but the flames soon took off again.

Fire brigade was called, fortunately they're based next door and arrived within 90 seconds. They got the flames down and spent a half hour cooling the canister.

Turns out the seal on top of the canister - purchased from Homebase precisely one year earlier - had perished.

The reason I tell this story here today is simple; we got lucky. Very, very lucky. With that many people in a 20 yard radius, and a gas canister on the verge of exploding, I'm relieved to be able to help warn others; check out your canister before starting your BBQs this year.
image.jpg 1010.5K

Comments

• Options
    Coal coal coal!
  • Options
    Lucky escape Jimmy, glad it wasn't worse.

Not a real BBQ though when using gas. Get the coal out.
  • Options
    The gas one was wicked. Varying heat levels, plenty of space, multiple levels, a hob! It was a gift last year so I didn't get a choice, but I'm sure I've seen taste-tests where people can't tell the difference between coal and gas. Not without special wood to burn at least. It's unlikely we will be sticking with gas now though.

Very glad I put it against the wall rather than the fence too!
  • Options
    It cant be called a BBQ if you're cooking with gas !! You're lucky that you're guests didn't sue you for misrepresentation. lol
  • Options
    Unless you're using charcoal from the top end of the range all the smoke is the by product of the glue, sawdust and lighting enhancers being burned.

and what about charcoal that states it is odourless or smokeless. How does that enhance the flavour to give an 'authentic BBQ taste'
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The gas one was wicked.

No shit Sherlock.
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm sure I've seen taste-tests where people can't tell the difference between coal and gas. Not without special wood to burn at least.

Believe me no one could burn anything on gas like I can on coal ;-)

Glad everyone's alright, Jimmy.
  • Options
    Sounds frightening Jimmy.

Spare a thought for me though, I went into Morrisons and they had sold out of Halloumi. Disaster!
  • Options
    How do you tell the cannisters are empty apart from trying to use it, don't want to get caught short. Glad everyone is ok
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think the worse thing about all this is that you tossed on the remaining sausages with kids around.
  • Options
    razil said:

How do you tell the cannisters are empty apart from trying to use it, don't want to get caught short. Glad everyone is ok

Should have a gauge on them like in your car.
  • Options
    razil said:

We use gas bottles for our hobs and I just give em a shake every now and then (Had planty of practice at that like)

Also, being an ex Special Forces Cub I'm always prepared and I recommend ALWAYS having a spare bottle in reserve!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    razil said:

Don't they have a full and empty weight tag on them so you can just weigh it? And some but not all have a gauge. Or pour some hot water down the side. The bit that stays warm is empty, it there's gas it's cold.
  • Options
    I have long wondered how you tell how much gas you have left. Shaking it is never that convincing and mine only has an aluminium disc with what I think are weight details, but never thought it might be empty and full. Will try that - cheers cafcfan. Always considered getting a second bottle but you need one to hand back and my local supplier never has any spare bottles for sale!
  • Options
    Very lucky escape Jimmy. Had a small kitchen fire a couple of years ago where I had put a plastic tray onto a still hot ring. Found one of my kids just staring about a foot from the flames. Incredibly scary, ended up minor burning both my hands but it's amazing how you dont really feel anything on adrenalin.

On Saturday just as we were going out for the afternoon my wife smelt gas and I remembered I had left a ring on from 90 mins earlier. Dread to think what would happen had we gone out and left it for another four hours, suspect we wouldn't have a house.

I think I should stay away from the kitchen to be honest.
  • Options

I have long wondered how you tell how much gas you have left. Shaking it is never that convincing and mine only has an aluminium disc with what I think are weight details, but never thought it might be empty and full. Will try that - cheers cafcfan. Always considered getting a second bottle but you need one to hand back and my local supplier never has any spare bottles for sale!

There's a market in the empty bottles because of the hefty deposit. Try Ebay or Gumtree, there's often empty ones available for a few quid but you have to collect because the postage is a touch extreme so you're looking for a local seller!
  • Options
    gas BBQ'ing is just cheating.....it's not a BBQ!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    cafcfan said:

There's a market in the empty bottles because of the hefty deposit. Try Ebay or Gumtree, there's often empty ones available for a few quid but you have to collect because the postage is a touch extreme so you're looking for a local seller!
    Did this yesterday - bottle for a tenner off a local bloke on Gumtree, swap for a full one at B&Q for the refill charge. Saved myself about £30 so well worth doing.

Got a gas bbq as it'll be easier/better with the kids around hopefully but I'll be sure to check the nozzles now!! Glad you're all ok Jimmy.

Slightly on topic, anyone use those lava rocks on the gas bbq? Worth bothering?
  • Options
    My cooking machine in the garden which has a grill and uses a gas canister made a strange noise Friday.
    Was using it for about 40 mins then turned it down whilst I sorted a few bits out indoors. About 10mins later I turned it back up and there was like a release of pressure as if id opened a shook up bottle of coke. Only lasted few seconds and then carried on cooking normally.

Had it couple years now and it was a new canister last year. Think its put me off using it, anybody know what it may have been?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafcfan said:

Slightly on topic, anyone use those lava rocks on the gas bbq? Worth bothering?

Used to have one years ago and it never got hot enough, but I guess there are varying qualities. Struggled to turn the chicken brown, let alone black. No good for professional who require a charcoal encrusted piece of cold chicken.
  • Options

My cooking machine in the garden which has a grill and uses a gas canister made a strange noise Friday.
    Was using it for about 40 mins then turned it down whilst I sorted a few bits out indoors. About 10mins later I turned it back up and there was like a release of pressure as if id opened a shook up bottle of coke. Only lasted few seconds and then carried on cooking normally.

Had it couple years now and it was a new canister last year. Think its put me off using it, anybody know what it may have been?

It's sounds like farting. Despite what your missus says, they all do it.
  • Options
    Reminds me of when we almost had to call the fire brigade. It was the day the wife tried to dry her bra in the microwave and the sparking of the wire mesh set the thing on fire.
  • Options
    I

Reminds me of when we almost had to call the fire brigade. It was the day the wife tried to dry her bra in the microwave and the sparking of the wire mesh set the thing on fire.

I don't believe you.

• Options

What was the fallout like?
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Curb_It said:

I

I don't believe you.

It was her favourite bra too. Can't think why she needed it drying quite so quickly.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    As a BBQ master I would concur (my self given title) – cook on the real thing – make sure the coals are grey before you start cooking – don’t rush until they are ready. Don’t use cheap sausages or burgers as they are full of fat and set off the flames. Marinate the meat if you have time. A tasty quick marinade for chicken is honey and mustard. If you like fish – Asda do lovely sweet chilli mackerel on skewers that come out lovely.
  • Options

Curb_It said:

I

I don't believe you.

It was her favourite bra too. Can't think why she needed it drying quite so quickly.
    it "needing to dry" gave an excuse for why she wasn't wearing one, and the microwave fire distracted you while the milk man shimmied down the drain pipe......... :smiley:
  • Options
    brogib said:

razil said:

We use gas bottles for our hobs and I just give em a shake every now and then (Had planty of practice at that like)

Also, being an ex Special Forces Cub I'm always prepared and I recommend ALWAYS having a spare bottle in reserve!
    Never realised it meant 'save a sausage'
  • Options
    Gas is cheating