Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wasps

This afternoon I left the window open in my upstairs bathroom and went out. When I came back there were 5 wasps in the bathroom 4 on the landing and 5 in the adjacent bedroom. I closed the window and killed and removed the wasps. With that amount I'm concerned there's a nest I've looked in the garden and on the roof, I can't see anything, anyone with similar experience of how to find the source? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Loft?

pointless things.
  • Wasps are very important creatures, they pollinate plants. Live and let live.
  • yeah, pointless was wrong word, should have been 'annoying'.
  • Thought this was a riddle
  • If you just tell them you are a Buhdist, like Jehovas Witnesses, they just go away.
  • Can of lynx preferably oriental as it smells the best when burning

A lighter, hours of fun getting rid of them
  • Stig said:

Wasps are very important creatures, they pollinate plants. Live and let live.

But not in your bedroom. And I don't think a wasp has that attitude when stinging someone who has a severe allergic reaction
  • edited June 2015
    I have two pieces of info about wasps, one, they were known as Jaspers for some reason in my Manor.

Secondly, when you do find the wasps nest (a papermache sort of hanging globe thing), do not try and destroy it by whacking it with a garden rake. This precipitant action can cause aggravation amongst said Jaspers, who are likely to take it personally, and often seek to extract retribution from said rake whacking operative.

Oh and theres no honey!
  • Sponsored links:

• My top tip for wasps and picnics/BBQs is a brown paper bag. Blow it up and tie at the end. Hang it from something near you. They still pitch up but mistake the bag for a rival nest and bugger off before tucking in to your burger. Doesn't help with wasps in the bedroom though!
  • cafcfan said:

My top tip for wasps and picnics/BBQs is a brown paper bag. Blow it up and tie at the end. Hang it from something near you. They still pitch up but mistake the bag for a rival nest and bugger off before tucking in to your burger. Doesn't help with wasps in the bedroom though!

Why don't they mistake it for a rival nest in a bedroom ?

• edited June 2015

cafcfan said:

My top tip for wasps and picnics/BBQs is a brown paper bag. Blow it up and tie at the end. Hang it from something near you. They still pitch up but mistake the bag for a rival nest and bugger off before tucking in to your burger. Doesn't help with wasps in the bedroom though!

They probably would but are too stupid to find their way out again, so it won't help. And I'm guessing you wouldn't want your bedroom festooned with brown paper bags hanging from a piece of string?

BTW wasps are fairly harmless at this time of year. They are looking for nectar for the Queen. Later in the year they don't have a job to do, get drunk on fermenting fruit and get nasty. telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10284497/Beware-Drunk-and-jobless-wasps.html
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

They probably would but are too stupid to find their way out again, so it won't help. And I'm guessing you wouldn't want your bedroom festooned with brown paper bags hanging from a piece of string?

BTW wasps are fairly harmless at this time of year. They are looking for nectar for the Queen. Later in the year they don't have a job to do, get drunk on fermenting fruit and get nasty. telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/10284497/Beware-Drunk-and-jobless-wasps.html
    Blimey Catford is a late summer wasps nest
  • After a stuffy night with all windows closed it appears that there are no more in the house. I was difficult to get the kids to bed last night as they didn't want to go upstairs and Anthony got stung poor thing. One did fly in back door when I let the dog out late last night which was eradicated. So it looks as if they all came from outside. So now I'm trying to work out where outside presumably the back of the house and why they all came in??
  • You should be honoured that they chose your house to visit. I've been bitten twice so far this year by the little bastards!
  • Active wasp nests are not, big, football size things...I found one like this in my loft a couple of months ago, but it is last years and there is nothing living in it. They build a new nest every year, so this will eventually collapse, or I'll knock it away from the eves...

If you think you might have a nest, at this time of year, look for something golf ball, or cricket ball size. The active wasps will be feeding the queen and she will be in the nest building it bigger and bigger (until it is football size...). The wasps themselves should not bother you at this time of year (I am advised), as there is plenty of food for them to gather and take back to the queen. It is early autumn (Sept, Oct, Nov) when they struggle to find food and usually end up in kitchens etc hunting and causing issues because food is scarce.

PS I hate wasps!!!
  • We had a wasps nest in our shed a couple of weeks ago, and a can of foam from Homebase sorted it out.
    In terms of not being able to see where it is, I really don't know - I would concur that a professional is the best way to go.

In terms of handling wasps, I'm an absolute scaredy-cat; I'm curious, how did you go about sorting them out when there were 14 upstairs?!
  • You should be honoured that they chose your house to visit. I've been bitten twice so far this year by the little bastards!

Bitten?!!!
    They have teeth as well as stings? :-)
    LOL

(or have I been whooshed?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Sadie they make the nests of "paper" which they pulp from wood. If you have wooden fences or a she'd check those out (or a neighbors)
  • cafcfan said:

cafcfan said:

Just like myself in many ways.

• We had a wasps nest in our shed a couple of weeks ago, and a can of foam from Homebase sorted it out.
    In terms of not being able to see where it is, I really don't know - I would concur that a professional is the best way to go.

In terms of handling wasps, I'm an absolute scaredy-cat; I'm curious, how did you go about sorting them out when there were 14 upstairs?!

By getting and killing each one individually, only got stung twice. They were huge too!

By getting and killing each one individually, only got stung twice. They were huge too!
    Sounds to me like they could have been hornets rather than regular wasps then. They are nasty. dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3111534/It-s-invasion-huge-European-hornet-spotted-anxious-British-public-seek-solace-extremely-aggressive-two-inch-insects-feed-BEES-paving-way-arrival-deadly-Asian-cousins.html

Although hopefully not this one! telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/wildlife/11549535/Swarm-of-killer-hornets-make-a-beeline-for-Britain.html
  • I think the 6 pots of jam that you made that day may have had something to do with it.............
  • I think the 6 pots of jam that you made that day may have had something to do with it.............

Making jam isn't one of my many culernary skills I'm afraid.

I think it was a euphemism.
  • Addickted said:

I think the 6 pots of jam that you made that day may have had something to do with it.............

I think it was a euphemism.
    For what?
  • Wasps make jam like bees make honey.
  • Wasps make jam like bees make honey.

Ok whooooosh moment lol.

No more today so maybe a one off? More confused now though.