Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton on the Internet - 20 Years On

Comments

• I used to be on Glynnes list from my work email address. Many an hour wasted....
  • The clubcall days don't seem that long ago. I wonder how much collective money we all wasted on that telephone number?
  • The clubcall days don't seem that long ago. I wonder how much collective money we all wasted on that telephone number?

Probably enough to have bought the club.
  • very good read - i wonder what they will be saying in 20 years time?

None. Used to call from work and they didn't have itemised billing.

• I dunno but they won't be able to hire flamingos to tell us
  • Interesting article. I found the paragraph below fascinating.

In any case, the world has moved on. The Charlton Life message board, launched in 2006, has arguably become a more important site than the club’s own, since it acts as an efficient clearing house for much more than the narrow official perspective on the club’s affairs, while many find social media a more convenient way to keep in touch. The official site can also be slow to report developments because of other pressures inside the club and the need to be authoritative. A variety of bloggers add another dimension.
  • Great article, that letter from Richard Murray "I had the opportunity to use the Internet over the weekend" - different world.
  • Thought I'd Google Addicks Online and it returned with this site;

http://www.addicksonline.co.uk

Odd - I don't think I've ever seen the use of the word "Addick" in any other context before ?
  • Sponsored links:

• We are a healthy lot!!!
  • Slightly depressing that I've been posting my opinionated shite 'contributing to the online Charlton cause' for nearly 20 years now...
  • edited June 2015
    One thing missing is that it all brought fans, new and old together, albeit those who used the web, you could argue it helped rebuild our fanbase. Met quite a few peeps via the PO list some have become long term friends.
  • edited June 2015
    razil said:

One thing missing is that it all brought fans, new and old together, albeit those who used the web, you could argue it helped rebuild our fanbase. Met quite a few peeps via the PO list some have become long term friends.

Fair comment, although I really intended to write an article about the anniversary and history of the official site and mention other developments to put it in context, rather than explore the value of the other elements.

I don't think, however, there was a critical mass of fans online before 1998, so I'd have to say that promotion was easily the decisive event in rebuilding support. That was underpinned by the work done from 1994, which wasn't really affected by the internet.

None. Used to call from work and they didn't have itemised billing.

I think that's what everyone did.
  • razil said:

Fair comment, although I really intended to write an article about the anniversary and history of the official site and mention other developments to put it in context, rather than explore the value of the other elements.

I don't think, however, there was a critical mass of fans online before 1998, so I'd have to say that promotion was easily the decisive event in rebuilding support. That was underpinned by the work done from 1994, which wasn't really affected by the internet.
    So am guessing the numbers were in the hundreds until the cl era? (Wasnt meant as a criticism by the way)

Have we signed Darren Purse yet?
  • edited June 2015
    razil said:

razil said:

So am guessing the numbers were in the hundreds until the cl era? (Wasnt meant as a criticism by the way)
    Assume you mean the PL era (!) - I no longer have any stats, but I found the figure of 2,000 visitors a week in an autumn 1997 article. It's not entirely clear if they were unique or simply the number of visits, but I assume the former. That's a minor fraction of the average crowd, whereas the traffic today would be a significant multiple of the crowd.

There's no way the website was significant in the work done to build up gates through Target 10,000, which was mostly 1994-1997. There might be more of an argument that by 2001 it was a valuable resource in selling the new north stand seats, although there was significant unmet demand prior to that.

I certainly agree the internet as a whole has transformed relationships between fans, and between fans and the club, but probably most of that was post the big expansion in support, rather than a factor in it. What it has been very good at, in my view, is reinforcing existing bonds.
  • How about the mailing lists and then forums? From the beginning?
  • edited June 2015
    razil said:

How about the mailing lists and then forums? From the beginning?

I'm fairly confident that Glynne Jones' (in fact it was originally attributed to CASC, but it was always Glynne's baby) mailing list began in early 1996, both from recollection and based on an article that was published in the spring of that year. That would have had maybe 400 members, but he would know better than me.

There was nothing that predated (what became) the official site to my knowledge - I believe Netaddicks existed by the late 90s because I remember we linked the OS to it, but I doubt if it existed before 1997.
  • Sponsored links:

• So what were the most effective ways of building support, other than getting promoted to the Prem?
  • razil said:

So what were the most effective ways of building support, other than getting promoted to the Prem?

Importing from Belgium.
  • edited June 2015
    razil said:

So what were the most effective ways of building support, other than getting promoted to the Prem?

The early price promotions were done through the Mercury, which at the time was printing 230,000 copies a week, reaching vastly more people than the internet at the time. From 1994 CASC also employed Wendy Perfect, who was very active promoting tickets in local schools, while we also built up the network of local supporters' club branches, which brought on board people like Sue Townsend, Trevor Gardiner and George Noble, all of whom oversaw the development of the early coach services. From 1997 until the mid-2000s there wasn't much more to be done in terms of tickets because the club was selling out a rising capacity. Leaving aside the sale of the extra seats in 2001, the next major phase was really led by Valley Express from 2004/05.

"We should sign Hayden Mullins, Darren Purse, Julian Gray...."

• edited June 2015
    The Target 10k story, as written up by Craig Norris in VOTV113, can now be read online for anyone who is interested in the issues raised by Razil.