Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Snake

Comments

• Catch it.im sure it would make a smashing pair of shoes
  • Keep.the head as a belt buckle
  • Grass snakes are beautiful creatures, she should be very honoured having one visit her garden. There are probably tadpoles in the pond that he is feeding on. It's the Eastern Brown snakes, which we have here in our garden, that you need to be frightened of!
  • Grass snakes are beautiful creatures, she should be very honoured having one visit her garden. There are probably tadpoles in the pond that he is feeding on. It's the Eastern Brown snakes, which we have here in our garden, that you need to be frightened of!

but what about the tadpoles rights.

Apparently snake tastes like chicken. Barbeque?
  • edited June 2015
    Once again, honoured???

The woman's 92 for goodness sake! She's shit scared of going outside or leaving the back door open, but hey, sod that, she's got a reptile sliding around her back garden....What a lucky lady.

Paulie is right, get someone round to remove it and think about filling in the pond.
  • somehow that just don't sound right.
  • Once again, honoured???

The woman's 92 for goodness sake! She's shit scared of going outside or leaving the back door open, but hey, sod that, she's got a reptile sliding around her back garden....What a lucky lady.

Paulie is right, get someone round to remove it and think about filling in the pond.

Lols, great edit
  • a 92 year old is scared and that is the only consideration here.

Remove the problem either yourself or through official channels.

Should be honoured to have the snake in the garden - what a load of tosh.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

a 92 year old is scared and that is the only consideration here.

Remove the problem either yourself or through official channels.

Should be honoured to have the snake in the garden - what a load of tosh.

Honoured in that the average person could live their whole life in the UK and never see one in the wild. A bit like having an extremely rare bird visiting your garden. The fear factor is simply due to a lack of knowledge. I would first explain that it is a completely harmless, timid creature, that has no venom and feeds on rodents etc. If she is still not happy, then place some very fine mesh over the pond. If he cant get in for a swim/feed, he'll move on to another pond. There is no need to confront such a creature.

• Grass snakes feed on amphibians (frogs toads), so does your mother's pond have frogs in it? Probably not for much longer...

Otherwise, the snake will move on as there will be no food for it
  • Stay Rd there a couple of days, see it for yourself, get a spade and chop the head off problem solved

Someone finds out and he gets arrested for killing a protected species
    sounds like a good idea to me
    better that scaring a 92 year old into becoming a recluse
    as I said contact the EA and explain the situation and they will come and sort it
    I still don't get what a sports video game developer has to do with Snakes
  • < kentaddick">Remember if you kill it/move it you're removing part of the ecosystem that could be suppressing populations of insects and small rodents that originally attracted the snake in the first place.

I'm terrified of snakes, if it was an adder I'd sympathise more as they can possibly kill an elderly frail woman. My verdict is get a pro to move it to a protected environment.

Adders can't swim, so wouldn't be attracted to the pond in the first place.
  • Thought this was a thread about Barcelona. Cheating lot they are. Spent the last half hour rolling around on the floor.
  • Juventus were kicking lumps out of them for much of the game
  • cblock said:

< kentaddick">Remember if you kill it/move it you're removing part of the ecosystem that could be suppressing populations of insects and small rodents that originally attracted the snake in the first place.

I'm terrified of snakes, if it was an adder I'd sympathise more as they can possibly kill an elderly frail woman. My verdict is get a pro to move it to a protected environment.

Adders can't swim, so wouldn't be attracted to the pond in the first place.

yes they can. I've seen one do it with my own eyes
  • you should have gone to spec savers then. RSPA will confirm they don't swim:-)
  • Sponsored links:

• cblock said:

you should have gone to spec savers then. RSPA will confirm they don't swim:-)

well, you better tell the bbc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gloucestershire/content/articles/2008/03/31/rob_ward_snakes_feature.shtml

"Although the adder can swim it is more common to see grass snakes swimming in ponds, as they can stay submerged for around an hour."
  • thankyou blackadder

I keep thinking about this post. How on earth do you enjoy a garden when sharing it with snakes like that? Can't imagine it, but then when I was in Sydney people liked to tell scary stories of funnel web spiders lurking in the gutter of the swimming pool, and they still had their pools
  • edited June 2015
    "Although the adder can swim it is more common to see grass snakes swimming in ponds, as they can stay submerged for around an hour."

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the POND water!

I keep thinking about this post. How on earth do you enjoy a garden when sharing it with snakes like that? Can't imagine it, but then when I was in Sydney people liked to tell scary stories of funnel web spiders lurking in the gutter of the swimming pool, and they still had their pools
    Comes with the territory Prague. They were here millions of years before we decided to build our house on their patch. I love snakes but am very wary of the Brown snake because our neighbours have been chased by one and they can be very aggressive. We also have the less venomous Red Bellied Black Snake and Carpet Pythons which can be huge, but harmless. We also have a lovely big monitor lizard that comes to drink out of the pool, not to mention the beautiful parrots and Kangaroos that visit the garden regularly. I'm actually more frightened of insects and have been stung by two wasps and two ants so far this year. The ant bite was the most intense and prolonged pain that I have ever experienced!

Comes with the territory Prague. They were here millions of years before we decided to build our house on their patch. I love snakes but am very wary of the Brown snake because our neighbours have been chased by one and they can be very aggressive. We also have the less venomous Red Bellied Black Snake and Carpet Pythons which can be huge, but harmless. We also have a lovely big monitor lizard that comes to drink out of the pool, not to mention the beautiful parrots and Kangaroos that visit the garden regularly. I'm actually more frightened of insects and have been stung by two wasps and two ants so far this year. The ant bite was the most intense and prolonged pain that I have ever experienced!

Bloody hell. In Australia even the ants are scary.The worst thing they do here is dig up bits of my lawn. I don't feel honoured, and do let them know.

Dead slow worm by the front door, that's the nearest I've got to anything like your daily experience. But it does sound more lively, your garden. Mowing the lawn is a bit of an extreme sport, by the sound of it.
  • I admire you for coping with Queensland! I do Melbourne and Sydney City centres but nothing more wild
  • wmcf123 said:

I admire you for coping with Queensland! I do Melbourne and Sydney City centres but nothing more wild

I did the aquarium at Darling Harbour and some Whale watching. Oh yes, bit of a Bear Grylls I am. ;)