Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stanley Matthews Documentary

Just watched a half hour documentary about the great man.

He was close to the end of his career when I started watching Charlton.

If the history of the game interests you or you saw him play it's worth watching on iplayer.

Comments

• My wife is from Stoke and I had the pleasure of watching one of his final games at the old ground. I can't remember who it was against. He was a great man.
  • I saw him play at Stoke against an International eleven including Lev Yashin in goal.
  • The Matthews Final in 1953 was the Cup Final that I enjoyed the most in my life.
  • I saw him at the Valley playing for Stoke Sept 1962. It was a Tuesday night and I think we lost 3-0. There was quite a big crowd as Stoke in those days had a lot of well known players playing out the end of their careers, DennisViolet etc.
  • I saw him at the Valley playing for Stoke Sept 1962. It was a Tuesday night and I think we lost 3-0. There was quite a big crowd as Stoke in those days had a lot of well known players playing out the end of their careers, DennisViolet etc.

I've got a slightly blurred memory of this. I am pretty sure I was there and seem to remember him looking incredibly old. I used to learn the names of the opposing teams in those days and can recall Alan Bloor, Bill Asprey, Eddie Clamp, Jack Moody, Denis Violett, O'Neill in goal (can't remember first name). Nowadays, I can't remember who scored for Charlton a week ago.

One of only a few programmes I ever kept.