Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Magic of the Cup ???

So, here we are on cup final day and I have no plans to watch it. If I'm around the house between 17.30 and 19.30 I'll probably tune in. If I'm in a pub or other place where it's on I'll probably be drawn towards the screen, but that's the extent of my enthusiasm. It's been that way for ten or more years now, but it shouldn't be that way, should it?

I remember when I was growing up in the 70s, the cup final would have been the most important thing this weekend, now it barely registers. Years of seeing the same teams in the final (though I must admit the last few years have seen a few new names), messing about with the competition (½ 5 ko ffs), the ongoing hype about the Premiership and Champs League, saturation football on tv and the continued shitefulness on Charlton in cup competitions have all taken their toll. I once believed it was the most important cup competition in the world. I hate to say it, but I now rate it a level similar to that of the league cup in olden days (a useful diversion on a day with little to do, but not a priority if there are other options to do).

I'm interested to see how import an it was/is for other people. On a scale of 0-10, what do you say? If we all posted scores similar to mine, it could be a sign that the competition is in decline. But it may just mean that we're just a bunch of old farts who have got bored with it. So if you could put the decade you grew up in as well that may be of interest.

Importance when growing up: 9/10

Importance now: 3/10

Decade grew up: 1970s

Comments

• Options
    Can't really disagree with you, a good friend of mine is there today, he's nearly 80 and you never know when Villa will get to the final again, so for him I'm routing for them.
  • Options
    Well right now the magic of the cup is apparently watching Dion Dublin cook on Saturday morning kitchen.
  • Options
    BBC are definitely putting more effort into it this year
  • Options
    Grew up 70s
    Was 10/10
    Now 7.5/10
  • Options
    First final: 1978
    Importance as kid: 10/10
    Importance now: 4/10

Very sad in a way, but at the same time I'm not complaining about the amount of football on TV.

I am complaining about the 5.30 kick off though. The FA Cup final should kick of at 3pm.
  • Options
    Stig - I refer you to my appearance on TalkSport yesterday. Go to 20:00 on the attached link.

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1432900800#

• Options

Stig - I refer you to my appearance on TalkSport yesterday. Go to 20:00 on the attached link.

Actually that should be 20:00 on the 3.30 to 4pm segment if that makes sense. It addresses exactly the point you are making.
  • Options
  • Options
    Grew up 90s
    Was 9/10 (League was #1)
    Now 8/10

Can't believe it's nearly June and the season is still going!
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Importance 9/10
    Now 4/10 (unless Charlton one)
    Late 1960s (gulp)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2015
    Mid to late 70's
    Was: 10/10
    Now: 3/10 recording it and going to watch San Andreas at the pictures instead.
  • Options
    I used to love the FA Cup Final when i was growing up i never missed one and i also went to whatever shop sold them and bought the programme.

We used to have barbecues and piss ups every year..this year i'm not even going to watch it.
  • Options

Actually that should be 20:00 on the 3.30 to 4pm segment if that makes sense. It addresses exactly the point you are making.
    Agree wholeheartedly Matt. That sums it up for me in the 90's the dominance of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea. I don't remember any other teams making the final in that decade (there must have been some surely), but I couldn't tell you who was in the final or won it on any particular year. Yet for the 70s and 80s I always knew.
  • Options
    Really looking forward to it as always.
  • Options
    Stig said:

Agree wholeheartedly Matt. That sums it up for me in the 90's the dominance of Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool & Chelsea. I don't remember any other teams making the final in that decade (there must have been some surely), but I couldn't tell you who was in the final or won it on any particular year. Yet for the 70s and 80s I always knew.
    There were some Stig but few people remember them. The competition was devalued and under-marketed in the 1990s at precisely the time the exact opposite was happening to the Premiership. The FA Cup was unlucky really that while the Premiership was growing in stature there were a succession of largely unmemorable FA Cup Finals won by the same old clubs. That is why I stopped my books in 1988 and I have no interest in going any further. I will watch the game today out of a sense of duty because I will be asked to comment on it but I really could not care less about it.
  • Options
    I think it is a shame that I can't be bothered to watch it even though I will be in front of the telly while it's on. The FA are responsible for the general decline in interest. Our kick off times vs Halifax and Sheff U are just two minor examples from recent years.
  • Options
    Decade grew up in: 90s
    Importance was: 4/10
    Importance now: 4/10

If Charlton were to be in it (ha!): 10/10
  • Options
    I've been excited about it since yesterday. I still love the FA cup. I wish the bigger teams would still take it seriously. But nonetheless I still really enjoy it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Grew up in '90s/ early 2000s but am pretty old school watching countless footage of league and cup action from the '60s' '70s and '80s. Used to tape every cup final and would never miss it but won't be watching today as I've taken on a shift at work. It's sad to see what has happened to the greatest cup competition in the world but times have changed. The cup final used to be the only live televised game each year. Now there's live football almost every week.

Importance when growing up: 7
    Now: 4 (possibly due to being older and having wife, job etc. as much as it just not being taken anywhere near as seriously as it was in the past).
  • Options
    It no longer has the allure like it did when I was a nipper and the FA Cup Final was about the only regularly televised football. The FA were dead against live TV for fear that it would negatively affect game attendances.
    I still enjoy the cup though it no longer is 'what it was', I'm sure that many 'top' clubs do not take it seriously as of yore. Looking forward to today's game and expect Arsenal to win in what may be Benteke's last game for Villa
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watching Gary Lineker on the road to FA Cup Glory.

Absolutely fantastic.
  • Options
    It's the fa cup it's the greatest domestic cup competition In the world,

I long for a charlton final appearance, I love the fa cup I love the whole history of it, and we are part of that history

Gregg dyke just Said the most truthful thing I have heard from the fa

The problem with letting old men make the decision on the future of the fa cup programing is that they yearn for yesterday and the truth is yesterday doesn't exist

I had the privilege of attending the Wigan vs man City final and with no alligence to either team the fact I could say I took my son to the fa cup final and share that with him, is something I will never forget and neither will he

• Options
    edited May 2015
    You can't tell me that the totp2 fa cup special ain't making you happy

The anfield rap

How good was that to take the piss out of themselves

• Options
    This is amazing. What ever happened to the FA cup songs?
  • Options

Brilliant absolutely brilliant
  • Options
    Curbs doing a cameo for the FA Cup Pointless special. So good to have the cup back on BBC was rubbish on ITV.
  • Options
    The ode to motty and the sheep skin under those lights mustn't be ignored
  • Options
    Savage getting caned there brilliant
  • Options
    Grew up 90s
    Was 8/10
    Now 7/10
  • Options

Gregg dyke just Said the most truthful thing I have heard from the fa

The problem with letting old men make the decision on the future of the fa cup programing is that they yearn for yesterday and the truth is yesterday doesn't exist

So let's see if we can work out what he means by that :
    "the FA Cup's history and tradition has no value in the modern world, we need to think of new ways of wringing the last drop of cash out of it now."

Can't say I agree with him.