Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Thatcher

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Am I right in thinking that his sending-off yesterday means a further punishment for the Pedro Mendes "tackle" kicks-in?

I seem to recall that he was effectively put on probation for the rest of the season. Does anyone else remember this or did I dream it?

Comments

• Options
    ok, so after a bit of digging I found this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/5392224.stm

Looks like we probably won't see him again until October!
  • Options
    September 2006:
    At an Independent Disciplinary Commission hearing today, Manchester City's Ben Thatcher was suspended for eight matches starting on Saturday 26 August, with an additional suspended ban of 15 matches.

The suspended sanction may be activated in full or in part if Thatcher is found guilty of another serious proved case under FA Rules within the next two years.

Thatcher admitted a charge of serious foul play following an incident involving Portsmouth's Pedro Mendes during the match on Wednesday 23 August. He was booked at the time by referee Dermot Gallagher.

The incident was considered as an exceptional case because The FA contends that the challenge was sufficiently serious that had Thatcher been sent off, an additional sanction would have been merited.

There was no financial penalty imposed.
  • Options
    Can someone please tell me why most people gave him a standing ovation after getting sent off and reducing our chances of getting anything out of the game.
  • Options
    Ah, so maybe not as bad as I first thought.
  • Options
    Reading skin deep, two yellows, which is what he was sent off for hardly constitutes a "serious proved case".

However if the FA are making the rules, who knows!
  • Options
    The suspended sanction may be activated in full or in part if Thatcher is found guilty of another serious proved case under FA Rules within the next two years.

I think he's been bound over to keep the peace, another Pedro Mendes type incident and the 15 game suspension kicks in, a red for two yellow cards isn't sufficient to activate the penalty.
  • Options
    Well, if he gets another long ban and Charlton appeal, the FA will probably consider it a case of Charlton being frivolous again ..... in which case he will be suspended for the season!!!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]Can someone please tell me why most people gave him a standing ovation after getting sent off and reducing our chances of getting anything out of the game.
    Supporting the side, what else could we have done?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]Can someone please tell me why most people gave him a standing ovation after getting sent off and reducing our chances of getting anything out of the game.
    Supporting the side, what else could we have done?

Exactly - that's why we were there - any other type of reaction gives the wrong message to the team. Yes, he was a prat, but we have to give the support - same as Pards has done.
  • Options
    Maybe we should have booed then, making all the other players shit themselves knowing that is the treatment they would get if they made a mistake?

We were supporting the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    Maybe we should have booed then, making all the other players shit themselves knowing that is the treatment they would get if they made a mistake?

I guess I can understand why people clapped him, but I wasn't going to - the bloody idiot!
  • Options
    edited April 2007

No one mentioned booing mate and theres no need to swear,get off your high horse and i look forward to seeing you and everyone else home and away next season
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Off_it[/cite]

I guess I can understand why people clapped him, but I wasn't going to - the bloody idiot!

Me neither
  • Options
    I didn't clap him either, and if we go down and Fulham survive by one goal, him getting himself sent off (when he knew he wouldn't make the ball, and on a yellow) will be one of the things i will highlight.

With 11 men, we would not of lost that 4-1, i'm convinced.
  • Options
    Pards took a gamble on him when he signed him and I think the gamble has failed in the last few games. He hasn't looked as effective as he did in the opening games. Maybe the injuries have found him out a bit. The two bookings were just unnecessary. But maybe showed up his character when the chips were down. I also didn't clap him because of the stupidity of the second offence.
  • Options
    he's not fit and in that respect he should not of been playing.

In amongst this hero worship of Pardew, some questions need to be asked.

Why has Romm been used so little in the last few games when we haven't been creating ?

Why was Diawara not involved yesterday ? Was he injured ?

Having been either injured or out in front of the cameras in night clubs in the last couple of weeks, why was Marcus Bent brought in ? Did you think he would be more of a physical presence than ZZ, despite ZZ not playing badly ?

If it was for a more physical presence up front, why was JFH not used for the first hour ?

Why has Thatcher been playing the last few games when clearly not match fit ?
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]I didn't clap him either, and if we go down and Fulham survive by one goal, him getting himself sent off (when he knew he wouldn't make the ball, and on a yellow) will be one of the things i will highlight.

With 11 men, we would not of lost that 4-1, i'm convinced.

Good point mate,totally agree.Not saying he was a bad signing but i just don't agree with clapping some one thats sent off,especially in that sort of situation.That is just my opinion and i thought that is what this site was about.
  • Options
    it is, don't get so touchy, you're always going to get someone who disagrees with you (normally Jimmy Melrose :-) )

I agree with you 100%, he let everyone down.
  • Options
    I'm not getting touchy fella,i just don't like it when people need to swear to get a point across,is it necessary?
  • Options
    Ben was stupid making the second challenge when he knew he was already on a yellow but in fairness the first card was not warranted as he never even touched Bentley. On the whole I feel Ben has been a positive signing and his form has only dipped the last few games when it's obvious he's carrying a knock. I suppose we could have stuck with Traore .......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    traore are you joking i cant believe someone wanted him from us and i cant believe we even got 1m for him
  • Options
    he was being sarcastic.

I agree the first booking was a joke, but once he'd got it he should never of dived in like that, especially when right on the touchline.
  • Options
    Thatcher is obviously not fit - and it showed against Sheff Utd and yesterday against Blackburn.

Hreidarsson is not fit and it shows.

Thomas is not fit and it shows.

Baby Bent has been playing manfully but relatively ineffectively and the world knows he's not fit.

Young doesn't have the sharpness of the player he was last season before he got injured and doesn't look fit.

Marcus Bent has constant hamstring trouble and has never been fit since we signed him.

Song's form had dipped alarmingly in the past few games - due to his Reading match 'sending off' scare or because he too has been carrying a dodgy hamstring?

Maybe there are others playing only because they have to - and thanks to a cortisone injection.

Is this the underlying reason why we don't seem to have the 'legs' to physically compete?
    And why we've lacked the killer touch in recent matches?

If so, has Pards really no faith in other, presumably fit, players?
  • Options
    Step forward Mr Bryan Hughes with two world-class, match-winning performances.

Or maybe not.
  • Options
    We could save hat-trick hero SuperKev to repeat history against Liverpool. ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Why has Romm been used so little in the last few games when we haven't been creating ?

Useless lazy under-performing winker? (Oh and according to Pard's "he's Danish")
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Why was Diawara not involved yesterday ? Was he injured ?

Yes, injured.
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Having been either injured or out in front of the cameras in night clubs in the last couple of weeks, why was Marcus Bent brought in ? Did you think he would be more of a physical presence than ZZ, despite ZZ not playing badly ?

Mistaken belief that Marcus Bent is a striker?
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]If it was for a more physical presence up front, why was JFH not used for the first hour ?

Arse too big, seriously surly and dis-interested attitude?
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Why has Thatcher been playing the last few games when clearly not match fit

Even a quarter fit is faster and more effective than Herm at left back?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: browny[/cite]I'm not getting touchy fella,i just don't like it when people need to swear to get a point across,is it necessary?
    Jeez. Sorry
  • Options
    Obviously, Pards dilemma - a half fit Thatcher and Hreidarsson barely able to run.

So, with Thatcher suspended and HH crippled, who now is going to play left back against Spuds...... ZZ ????
  • Options
    How many threads have we had today on Ben Thatcher....? ;-)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]How many threads have we had today on Ben Thatcher....? ;-)

Not enough. I'm going to start another.