Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Best goal you've seen against or for Charlton

Been Whatsapp-ing my mates today and we were sending videos of goals and one of them sent the Van Persie Volley against us and it got me thinking about all the best goals I've seen.
The Van Persie goal was during my first season watching Charlton and I remember it vaguely as I was quite young but remember being confused as to why many Charlton fans were clapping around me, watching it again made me realise why.

Any one rate that as the best they've seen too? Or what others would you put up there?

Comments

• Best for

1. Killer vs Hull at the Valley. It was Goal of the Season on The Big Match

2. Bartlett volley against Leicester (IIRC). It was goal of the season on MOTD.
  • cafctom said:

For me it would have to be Yann versus Hartlepool though. It looks even better in replays than it did live.

Was thinking of that too, probably the most special goal I've seen
  • Simon Church hand of God against the MASSIVES
  • Morts against Bradford really stuck out for me... At the time I couldn't believe my eyes
  • Nicholas said:
    Why didn't you post the one where the commentator goes 'oh wow! oh wowow!'? Bad Nicholas
  • Agree Jensen is up there. One of my all time fav goals was a Shaun Newton Bullet header v Huddersfield at the Valley from about 20 yards around 95 or 96. Would love to see it again if someone could find footage of it.
  • Nicholas said:

Agree Jensen is up there. One of my all time fav goals was a Shaun Newton Bullet header v Huddersfield at the Valley from about 20 yards around 95 or 96. Would love to see it again if someone could find footage of it.

Didn't he score a screamer from the edge of the box against the same opponents? Late 90s I guess
  • Sponsored links:

• Dale Stephens vs Bury in recent times for me...
  • Newton scored some crackers for us,

John Hendry against the scum at Upton Park,

Morts scored one of the greatest goals ever but for the life of me I can't remember who against

Bartlett volley was truly magnificent

But the best of all has to be Clive at Wembley the turn and hit on the volley, was just a piece of pure magic, skill, strength and just natural ability
  • 1.Robinson, Huddersfield away, around Boxing Day 98'99, start of the long winning run.
    2. Jensen chip at Arsenal
    3. Yann v Hartlepool

No doubt will change tomorrow
  • McBobbin said:

Nicholas said:

Agree Jensen is up there. One of my all time fav goals was a Shaun Newton Bullet header v Huddersfield at the Valley from about 20 yards around 95 or 96. Would love to see it again if someone could find footage of it.

Didn't he score a screamer from the edge of the box against the same opponents? Late 90s I guess
    I know he scored that screamer against Ipswich in the playoffs. Cant remember any others again Huddersfield.
  • edited May 2015
    95/96 Newton scored an absolute beauty on te volley from outside the box in front of the north stand. 2-1 win vs hudds. The header was the next year I think, also won 2-1 midweek think newts got both.

For me jensens was the best goal for us at the highest level, closely followed by bartletts.

Several great goals in the lower divisions, including some of those mentioned above, a couple of kinsella and morts crackers amongst them.
  • Still no mendonca votes I am amazed
  • Very difficult to say, except Morts would be in there somewhere. In recent times JBG on Boxing Day would be right up there as well.

In our net? All offside, naturally, but one that almost made me chuckle was v Southampton in the 70s. We had gone 4-0 up and from the restart Peter Osgood walked through our defence and put it in, as if to say "I'm surrounded by idiots here".

• Still no mendonca votes I am amazed

A great goalscorer rather than a scorer of great goals I reckon. Don't remember him scoring any particularly spectacular goals, and it counts against him in discussions like this that one of his main strengths was making difficult stuff look ridiculously easy.
  • The goal from Jones cross, his touch pulled it away from the defender, his body swivel and finish was up there with anything I have ever seen at football, it was a truly great goal it wasn't distance it wasn't dancing around players,

It was a goal of the highest quality and skill and if scored by

Beckham
    Rooney
    Shearer
    Bergkamp

It would be replayed over and over again
  • MrLargo said:

Still no mendonca votes I am amazed

A great goalscorer rather than a scorer of great goals I reckon. Don't remember him scoring any particularly spectacular goals, and it counts against him in discussions like this that one of his main strengths was making difficult stuff look ridiculously easy.
    His goals in the playoffs were great goals, especially 2 and 3
  • Sponsored links:

• McBobbin said:

Nicholas said:

LOL - dunno about 'bullet'. Ball was cleared from a corner and Newts was on the edge of the area and nutted it back over the keeper, who was wandering around his six yard box like a drunken sailor. Loved it all the same - went potty when it went in. Tuesday night, if my memory serves
  • Clive's goals at Wembley were amazing, his second and third were by far the best goals he scored for us,

The third and I know I keep banging on about it, couldn't really be appreciated from the stands where we were, the replays have since shown just how skillful that finish was, when you take into account the occasion the venue the stakes involved it raises the level of that goal way above any mentioned so far,

I still don't know how he done it or the fact he actually done it
  • Van Persies was a shinner. A well timed one, but a shinner

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake scored an absolute gem of a solo goal, turned Mccarthy inside out then walled the ball past weaver at his near post.

Ones that stand out are Claus Jenson at Highbury, Shaun Bartletts volley against Leicester, Darren Bent burning past Melchiot from half way at home and Lee Bowyers overhead kick against the scum in 1996
  • McBobbin said:

Nicholas said:

LOL - dunno about 'bullet'. Ball was cleared from a corner and Newts was on the edge of the area and nutted it back over the keeper, who was wandering around his six yard box like a drunken sailor. Loved it all the same - went potty when it went in. Tuesday night, if my memory serves
    Don't spoil it for me I was 11 or 12 at the time and I saw it as a bullet lol. Yeah def a night a game, I remember I was sitting in the east stand pretty much level with him when he headed it. I'm not sure if I want to see it again now, I may not be as impressed with it as much :)
  • Carter said:

Van Persies was a shinner. A well timed one, but a shinner

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake scored an absolute gem of a solo goal, turned Mccarthy inside out then walled the ball past weaver at his near post.

Detracts from effort and skill required to be the best goal ever

Ones that stand out are Claus Jenson at Highbury, Shaun Bartletts volley against Leicester, Darren Bent burning past Melchiot from half way at home and Lee Bowyers overhead kick against the scum in 1996

Bowyer, Bartlett, Bent, Jenson all great goals good shout for them as they are all different techniques as well

• Paddy McCarthy is probably still inside out.
  • Shaun Bartlett's goal against Spurs was top draw. The one touch football then the diving header to round it off was superb. If I remember I'll put that one up tomorrow.
  • Todorov versus Palace
  • Didn't Wordsworth score a cracker a couple of seasons ago against us? Also seem to remember a great overhead kick scored against us in league 1, might have been a Yeovil player?