Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

So disappointing

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Although the fact remains we're not out of it by a long shot, i think today was the day that has most of us accepting the inevitable.

We simply aren't good enough. Not only is a distribution, retention of the ball, and creativity not good enough to succeed at this level, we seem to have a squad that appears physically shot. Whether we are carrying knocks, i don't know, but we never won enough 50:50s, Blackburn always had a man spare, and upfront, their pairing was simply too strong for our two.

Holland came out with the most credit for me, never stopped working his socks off. The two wide men, Thomas and Ambrose, simply weren't in the game enough, Song had probably his poorest game for us, and Marcus Bent simply winds everyone up. Thatcher was nowhere near match fit. To me the ref was looking to do him, his first booking was identical to a Blackburn one on Thomas five mins before, which he didn't even have a word with. His second booking was simply reckless, and let everyone down.

The fans were absolutely superb, you had to be there to know just how supportive they were throughout the whole game, even when behind. We certainly couldn't of done more.

Comments

• Options
    Are you back ? Blimey that was quick...I'm afraid the team let you down today....
  • Options
    AFKA

You are right, we went today I think I can only see us picking up 1/3 points left and Alan p has made a sterling effort to keep us up, our form over the last 8 games or so has been top 6.

I think the players have done very well over the period from January, but they and not all are culpable were simply not right in the first half of the season.

The board have to take the blame for Dowie and Reed appointments both wrong. And they have accepted that .

It means DBent will be off to balance the books whether he wants to or not, lets hope Dickson is our saviour next season and Alan p can be as astute as he was in January.

Here's to looking up.
  • Options
    Oh hum, but life goes on, in Pards we trust, and lets see if he can find those Reo Cokers etc again.

Let's go for it next season in the best way we can.

There is life beyond the Premiership, and now I need to sleep

Goodnight and god bless
  • Options
    The sound from the fans came through loud and clear on the radio from the beginning to the end, as did the fact that the team didn't really seem to be at the races for long periods.

There is still a glimmer of hope, but the reality is that we'll probably do well to get another point and the Spurs game is going to be the last time we see a fair few of those players turning out for us at The Valley.

Personally I hope that Holland gets a new contract - his commitment and professionalism could be very valuable in helping to chase promotion.
  • Options
    AFKA has it spot on - we are simply not good enough, 3 points from the last 4 matches says it all.

We don't create enough chances, we lack fight & defensively at times it is absolute chaos - oh well my weekends will be freer next season as there is next to zero coverage of the CCC - wonder if Valley Vision will be around next season..............
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You are spot on AFKA, I said the same after the Sheff Utd game: the players' legs have gone. We don't have enough strength to compete with these teams any more and we are being over-run, particularly in midfield. Spurs will do the same to us as Blackburn did today: outfight us all over the pitch and use their superior fitness & strength to dominate the game. Thomas & Ambrose are embarrassingly easy to dispossess. The squad is, quite simply, nowhere near good enough or strong enough to compete at this level.

PS - I was back indoors at 8:25 tonight. Great run back down the M6, M42 & M40.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I agree with everything you've all said about not being good enough, but the thing that really rankles is... there are so many others not good enough as well, and then there's the few who are as bad if not worse than us, such as bloody Fulham. I think we deserve to stay up over any of the clubs in the fight, but, as Egg head proves, there's no such thing as justice. It's simply putting the ball in the oppo's net and keeping it out of your own. We're not doing that when it counts and we're almost out of time.
  • Options
    the last 5 games after we got ourselves into such a great position have been piss poor, 3 goals and 3 points, relegation material......
    even tho relegation hasn't happened yet the scary thing to me is what will be left to try and get us back to the premiership once the end of season clearout takes place, imo not a lot , i really do fear for us next year
  • Options
    We've run out of steam, I just get the feeling it took so much effort to get back in to the fight, that there was nothing left in the tank to finish the job.

Next season will be different, look forward learning from the mistakes of this season
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]We've run out of steam, I just get the feeling it took so much effort to get back in to the fight, that there was nothing left in the tank to finish the job.

Next season will be different, look forward learning from the mistakes of this season

I make you right Rothko- a truely bitter pill to swallow but as has been said before, lets enjoy next season!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fans were absolutely superb, you had to be there to know just how supportive they were throughout the whole game, even when behind. We certainly couldn't of done more.

We didn't need to be there to know how good the fans were, that came over loud and clear on the radio, you were superb sang through the game and did everything the team could have asked for, truly a 12th man, there'll be some hoarse voices across south east London and Kent today.

As for the players being knackered, I think that's likely, but in reality Pardew has shuffled the pack in search of that elusive einning formula but he has too many dud cards in his hands.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] but in reality Pardew has shuffled the pack in search of that elusive einning formula but he has too many dud cards in his hands.[/quote]

think you may be right there...
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite] but in reality Pardew has shuffled the pack in search of that elusive einning formula but he has too many dud cards in his hands.

think you may be right there...

'Fraid your probably right. We don't have the same quality as Blackburn but they have had a huge injection of cash from the Walker family. That enables them, I am sure, to pay higher wages and attract better players.

In all the despair of this season we should not lose sight of the fact that we have punched above our weight for a long time. Without going over everything from the past, let us not forget that after the sellout years, our club has been re-built both on and off the pitch. A stadium has risen out of a derelict site.

RM and other directors have but money in but nothing like the injection that most other clubs in the PL have had to play with.

If you add to that during the premier league run, two top strikers and a brilliant defender have had to retire due to injury/illness. These are huge things for a club of our size to weather.

This season, we have bust our transfer budget. It hasn't helped much. We are currently in a relegation slot with two games to go. West Ham spent £18m in the last transfer window, they might just have bought their way out of it with the additional help of an illegally qualified Argentinian.

Some blame Curbs leaving the cupboard bare. That's pretty unfair in my opinion but if it's said enough times people start believing it. What sort of squad would any other manager have left with our clubs limited resources.

I still have hope that we can get out of this. If we don't our club is still in good hands and next season is still one of hope .
  • Options
    On the subject of Blackburn, you've got to applaud the job Mark Hughes has done there. They were in freefall when he arrived, and he has turned it around superbly.

Will be in a race with Roy keane to get the Man U job.
  • Options
    To be honest, unless Keane produces miracles with Sunderland next season, I'd be amazed if they chose him over Hughes, and even then it'd be something of a surprise. Hughes has distinctly more managerial experience, especially in the Premiership, and he's also got experience of managing in Europe. Keane's got a lot of potential, but unless Ferguson plans to stay on for 3 years or so, I can't see it happening.
  • Options
    Curbs didn't leave the cupboard bare.....it was chock full of old crap!!

That Marcus Bent's hit form eh.