Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

La Liga suspension

Sorry if there is a thread on this already but just seen that la liga games are due to be suspended from 16th May over protests to TV right money.

I got tickets for Atletico vs Barca! What's the chances of this being overturned?

Incredible if it actually goes through considering the fact Barcelona could win the league, although not a surprised.

Comments

• Options
    I've got 3 tickets for Barcelona v Deportivo Sat 23rd May 17.30 KO UK time, 18.30 Spanish time.
  • Options
    As a deportivo fan, I can only say this was the best thing that could have happened to our season, as the less football Deportivo have to play, the better.
  • Options
    I am gutted. Planned my whole weekend away on the football. Got tickets early for 60 euros. Second tier behind the goal, front row, bang in the middle. They were selling for 300 euros last week on that stub hub website!
  • Options
    Exactly wher we sat 15 years ago when we went for a 30th.

De Boer did a fantastic bit of defending then they booed him for passing back to goalie.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    heavenSE7 said:

I am gutted. Planned my whole weekend away on the football. Got tickets early for 60 euros. Second tier behind the goal, front row, bang in the middle. They were selling for 300 euros last week on that stub hub website!

Isn't there still a chance the strike will get called off ?
  • Options
    Is anyone watching the Barca game at the moment ?

I'm pretty sure Guillem just said that technically under Spanish law if you go on strike you can't "re-work" the dates that you missed later on, so the games that will be cancelled because of the strike can't be replayed at a later date once the strikes over.
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Where did you manage to get them from at 60 euros?
  • Options
    Whilst I really am sorry for you guys missing out ( though I am pretty sure you will, at least get your ticket money back ) I don't get why someone who supports a second tier team wants to get their rocks off watching not only a top flight team, but one of the elite in another country? Or do you pop off to see Manchester United when we are away from home?
  • Options
    Maybe people are just having a weekend away and take in a football match while they are there?

I was in Hamburg last month, went to see Hamburg vs Wolfsburg, I have no affiliation with either side but it was good to see something different.

• Options

Whilst I really am sorry for you guys missing out ( though I am pretty sure you will, at least get your ticket money back ) I don't get why someone who supports a second tier team wants to get their rocks off watching not only a top flight team, but one of the elite in another country? Or do you pop off to see Manchester United when we are away from home?

I'm not sure if this was a Sagres influenced post, but are you suggesting that Charlton supporters should only go and watch Charlton matches or matches in the second tier ? If so, please explain the logic because I'm struggling to find an ounce of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

I'm not sure if this was a Sagres influenced post, but are you suggesting that Charlton supporters should only go and watch Charlton matches or matches in the second tier ? If so, please explain the logic because I'm struggling to find an ounce of it.
    Yes - beer didn't help, but no that's not what I was suggesting. What I was getting at is that I would go and watch Espanyol if I was in Barcelona, because as a Charlton fan, I feel more affinity with them than the international brand Barcelona FC - likewise I would go and see St Pauli if I was in Hamburg or Sparta (or even Excelsior) if I were in Rotterdam.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

If we were still in the premiership would that change your stance?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Yes - beer didn't help, but no that's not what I was suggesting. What I was getting at is that I would go and watch Espanyol if I was in Barcelona, because as a Charlton fan, I feel more affinity with them than the international brand Barcelona FC - likewise I would go and see St Pauli if I was in Hamburg or Sparta (or even Excelsior) if I were in Rotterdam.
    You wouldn't want the chance to go and see Messi, Xavi etc because you feel more affinity with the underdogs in a particular region ?

Each to their own I guess.
    No I wouldn't - as you say, each to their own.
  • Options

se9addick said:

If we were still in the premiership would that change your stance?
    Assuming that's a question for me, no. I didn't say I wouldn't go and watch another top flight team, just not the German/Spanish/Dutch equivalent of Arsenal or Manchester United.
  • Options
    As other said it was a cheap weekend away with the chance to watch arguably 2 of the top 10 teams in the world over the last 2 seasons. We all love football, so why wouldn't you want to go and watch two great teams?

@North Lower Neil I got them on Atletico official site. You had an interactive map of the stadium and was able to select a seating plan with available tickets block by block.
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

As other said it was a cheap weekend away with the chance to watch arguably 2 of the top 10 teams in the world over the last 2 seasons. We all love football, so why wouldn't you want to go and watch two great teams?

@North Lower Neil I got them on Atletico official site. You had an interactive map of the stadium and was able to select a seating plan with available tickets block by block.

Like I said I don't get it - doesn't mean I am right, I often don't get what appeals to loads of other people.

I am genuinely sorry that you are missing out. And after all, you were going to Athletico rather than Real, so I can relate to that. :smiley:
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Incredible that the tickets were on general sale for a game that will be a title decider and between two of the best teams in the world.
  • Options
    I've got 3 spare tickets for Barcelona v Deportivo Saturday 23rd if anyone is interested :-)
  • Options
    Ridiculous situation here but hopefully it will get sorted. The prospect of any team getting relegated without being able to play final two games that could get them the points will surely make the league and authorities come to an agreement. Anything that involves politics here is mental though.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I've got 3 spare tickets for Barcelona v Deportivo Saturday 23rd if anyone is interested :-)

Phew. Sold 2 on Viagogo. 1 left.
  • Options

Ridiculous situation here but hopefully it will get sorted. The prospect of any team getting relegated without being able to play final two games that could get them the points will surely make the league and authorities come to an agreement. Anything that involves politics here is mental though.

Thing is with Spain, I understand football and politics is heavily linked. Also that the way the loans to Madrid/Barcelona it is pretty much state aid. Would be interested on @CharltonMadrid 's comments as to whether I am off the mark on that.
  • Options
    Real Madrid and Barcelona (as well as Athletic Bilbao) are actually owned by their fans unlike most other clubs and although it is often thought that they are funded by the government, it is actually the massive revenue from TV rights that gives them so much money. This is part of the current dispute, with attempts being made to make it fairer for all of the teams in the league. The strike is more to do with government interference into the finances of smaller clubs. Since I have been here so many have been fined, deducted points, demoted or liquidated.

I reckon this will get resolved though and the league will be completed.
  • Options
    Is it likely this weekend will be postponed @CharltonMadrid ?
    If so I'm tempting to try and flog them online as can't see us getting a refund from Atletico.
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

Is it likely this weekend will be postponed @CharltonMadrid ?
    If so I'm tempting to try and flog them online as can't see us getting a refund from Atletico.

It's 50/50. If you sell it, the game will go ahead & if you keep it, the game won't.
  • Options
    Difficult to say, although my Spanish colleagues are convinced it will go ahead. The financial and logistical ramifications of halting the league, along with the damage to Spanish football's reputation make me think they will come to some agreement.

I did however learn a while ago that what is sane and logical does not mean anything here.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    should know by Wednesday
    going to a Spanish court to see if the suspension is legal
  • Options
    its the clubs fault anyway

the reason there is a strike is because they don't want the tv money fairly split between the teams like in the BPL

why? stop being greedy let the money be split equally and play some football
  • Options
    The strike is actually the leagues rather than the clubs, mainly focusing on government interference and lack of support. A big gripe is the lack of institutional support for lower league teams so it is quite the opposite to the big teams striking to protect their TV rights and self interests.
  • Options

The strike is actually the leagues rather than the clubs, mainly focusing on government interference and lack of support. A big gripe is the lack of institutional support for lower league teams so it is quite the opposite to the big teams striking to protect their TV rights and self interests.

I thought one of the issues was that the new deal states that the league are ultimately liable for the clubs debts which is a clearly unacceptable scenario for the league.