Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nightmare Scenario?

If QPR are relegated and refuse to pay their fine for ignoring FFP, they have been threatened with being put in the conference. This means that our division would be short of one team. Is there a danger that the Football League might decide to deal with this by reducing the number of teams relegated from each division by one thereby handing Millwall a lifeline?

Comments

• No.

QPR almost certainly will be relegated and will probably dispute the fine. While negotiations & discussions take place QPR will not be put in the conference in my opinion.

The likely result is that QPR will pay an as yet undefined amount at the end of a period of time.
  • Millwall were relegated fair and square. Give the extra place to Preston who came 3rd in League 1.

Not that this will happen. I'll be pleasantly surprised if the FL decides to a grow a pair and hand QPR the punishment they actually deserve. QPR will pay the fine and that will be the end of it.
  • Yeah there's next to no chance of the joy of seeing QPR go all the way down. They'll sue and appeal etc, or just pay the fine. Either way, they'll be playing Championship football. I just hope whatever punishment they get stops them from putting a decent side together.
  • Whatever the current fine is I'm sure it will be reduced to being virtually meaningless if and when QPR get chopped. FFP my arse.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Yeah there's next to no chance of the joy of seeing QPR go all the way down. They'll sue and appeal etc, or just pay the fine. Either way, they'll be playing Championship football. I just hope whatever punishment they get stops them from putting a decent side together.

I'm with you. I kind of hope that the FL will hit them with a pretty serious transfer embargo.
  • If QPR are relegated below the Championship, the precedent was set in 1989/90 when Swindon broke the rules -

Swindon Town won the Second Division playoff final but admitted a series of financial irregularities. Swindon were initially relegated to the Third Division and replaced by Tranmere, the Third division's losing Play-Off finalists, but this decision was later reversed on appeal and it allowed Swindon to finish 4th in one division and Tranmere to finish 4th in the other division.

A.F.C. Bournemouth, Stoke City and Bradford City occupied the relegation places.

The city of Bristol was celebrating after Rovers were crowned champions and City finished runners-up in the Third Division to gain promotion. The third promotion spot was secured by playoff winners Notts County, who beat Associate Members Cup winners Tranmere Rovers at Wembley.

So hopefully no chance that the Scum will be reprieved....
  • I imagine the FL would make such a big hash of it if they tried to start moving teams around that they confuse it with the postponed Blackpool-Hudders game and then QPR, Millwall, Blackpool and Huddersfield enter some bizarre round-robin to decide who stays in the Championship, who goes into League 1 and who gets sent to the Conference, then Tranmere Rovers get promoted to League 1 or something.
  • I thought QPR converted their debt to equity and therefore were okay within the parameters of FFP rules?
  • Was the Birmingham administration situation ever decided?
  • cabbles said:

I thought QPR converted their debt to equity and therefore were okay within the parameters of FFP rules?

It was overturned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Was the Birmingham administration situation ever decided?

Nope.