Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bikey "The Beast"

Most agree that after a great start to the season, Bikey tailed off somewhat with many centre back combinations following.
I note our squad on saturday had no less than SIX centre halves included, which appeared crazy.
If, I read a big target man is required to change our approach and style, why did we not use Bikey as such in the last couple of games? After all he is a handfull and poor Igor was getting battered hopelessly jumping without any threat to, dare I say it, longer balls

Comments

• Most agree that after a great start to the season, Bikey tailed off somewhat with many centre back combinations following.
    I note our squad on saturday had no less than SIX centre halves included, which appeared crazy.
    If, I read a big target man is required to change our approach and style, why did we not use Bikey as such in the last couple of games? After all he is a handfull and poor Igor was getting battered hopelessly jumping without any threat to, dare I say it, longer balls

I think there is a simple answer to this.

It was tried a number of times when we were chasing games this season.

It didn't work, because he is crap at it...
  • fair enough!
  • Ok in a desperate "throw everything at 'em" when we badly need a goal in the last 5 minutes. Otherwise, much prefer to play players and their best/natural positions.
  • edited May 2015

Most agree that after a great start to the season, Bikey tailed off somewhat with many centre back combinations following.

I think there is a simple answer to this.

It was tried a number of times when we were chasing games this season.

It didn't work, because he is crap at it...
    Except at Huddersfield where he had an assist for our late equaliser. He was only tried up front by Big Bob for the last five or ten minutes or so in a few games but I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong. Fair observation @SomersetAddick and would have been worth a try but this clearly did not appeal to Luzon especially as his favoured pairing soon became Watt and Igor with Eagles or Church preferred as substitutions.
  • Anyone remember when Eddie Youds went up front at Wimbledon ?
  • I can't remember what game it was at the Valley, but I distinctly remember us planting Bikey up front late on.

The ball fell to him inside the penalty area, and with practically the last kick of the game, he had a chance to score...

I may be exaggerating, but I believe the person in the upper tier of the North Stand with the ball shaped haemotoema in the face eventually recovered...
  • Two reasons why not;
    Phil and Chapple
  • He's a better player on the deck than he gets credit for IMO.
  • He is a big, big fella - nearly blocked out everything else when he walked in at the POTY dinner. Surprisingly friendly, smiling guy - very different from the scowling aggressive looking guy we see on the pitch.
  • Not sure I like the whole "the beast" stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Davo55 said:

He is a big, big fella - nearly blocked out everything else when he walked in at the POTY dinner. Surprisingly friendly, smiling guy - very different from the scowling aggressive looking guy we see on the pitch.

Split personality, bit like me :wink:
  • Davo55 said:

He is a big, big fella - nearly blocked out everything else when he walked in at the POTY dinner. Surprisingly friendly, smiling guy - very different from the scowling aggressive looking guy we see on the pitch.

Exactly what I thought. He couldn't have been more smiling and pleasant.
  • Davo55 said:

I've heard good things about Bikey and his attitude around the club. Even on matchdays when hes not involved.
  • The most successful case of a centre back going up front I can remember was in League 1.

We were down to 9 men by half time. (Burton had been sent off for 2 yellows, I can't remember who the other who had been sent off was. Dailly?)

The infamous Miguel Plata was sent up top. Sounded ridiculous, until the ball came to him in the dying seconds of the game. Big Mig ran on to it, and chipped it into the far corner in a finish that Darren Bent would have been proud of..
  • Sorry Damn spell checker! Llera!
  • Davo55 said:

I bought I signed photo of him from the Museum. (Complete with certificate of authenticity!)

I couldn't resist it. Man the size of a small house in a black shirt, giving a thumbs up, with a smile as big as big as a pair of French Windows...
  • The most successful case of a centre back going up front I can remember was in League 1.

We were down to 9 men by half time. (Burton had been sent off for 2 yellows, I can't remember who the other who had been sent off was. Dailly?)

The infamous Miguel Plata was sent up top. Sounded ridiculous, until the ball came to him in the dying seconds of the game. Big Mig ran on to it, and chipped it into the far corner in a finish that Darren Bent would have been proud of..

I was there and remember none of this. Sure you didn't make it up?

(S Sodje btw)
  • Leuth said:

The most successful case of a centre back going up front I can remember was in League 1.

(S Sodje btw)
    Thank you. If you look at Sodje's record, it's obvious really.

(It was a cracking finish by Llera though!)
  • I can't remember what game it was at the Valley, but I distinctly remember us planting Bikey up front late on.

The ball fell to him inside the penalty area, and with practically the last kick of the game, he had a chance to score...

I may be exaggerating, but I believe the person in the upper tier of the North Stand with the ball shaped haemotoema in the face eventually recovered...

Was either the match against Blackpool or Rotherham where he hit it over the bar... Was an open goal too

Was either the match against Blackpool or Rotherham where he hit it over the bar... Was an open goal too
    Blackpool
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

The most successful case of a centre back going up front I can remember was in League 1.

(S Sodje btw)
    Thank you. If you look at Sodje's record, it's obvious really.

(It was a cracking finish by Llera though!)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8416448.stm

I'm sure this was the one against swindon?
  • Andre Bikey has a great pass on him and very good on the floor, great pace for his age and an all round beast. He could even slot into a defensive midfield role if needed.

Which begs the question 'why would Guy Luzon play Roger Johnson ahead of Bikey?'

Even if Andre has an attitude problem I'd rather him than Roger.
  • edited May 2015
    Look at Norwich's third goal at the Valley earlier this season. That's a prime example of why Bikey doesn't play under Luzon.

Caught out high up the pitch and didn't put in the effort to stick with the onrushing Jerome to put pressure on his headed attempt at goal.

He's a liability on the pitch unfortunately.
  • Look at Norwich's third goal at the Valley earlier this season. That's a prime example of why Bikey doesn't play under Luzon.

Caught out high up the pitch and didn't put in the effort to stick with the onrushing Jerome to put pressure on his headed attempt at goal.

First 10 games of the season I'd say he was our best player besides Igor!
  • Look at Norwich's third goal at the Valley earlier this season. That's a prime example of why Bikey doesn't play under Luzon.

Unfortunately, the season lasts 46 games. Being our best player for the first 20% of the season doesn't win you any prizes.
  • Andre Bikey has a great pass on him and very good on the floor, great pace for his age and an all round beast. He could even slot into a defensive midfield role if needed.

Which begs the question 'why would Guy Luzon play Roger Johnson ahead of Bikey?'

Even if Andre has an attitude problem I'd rather him than Roger.

yep. agree. Johnson appears to be a liability.

He was. But we've heard similar reports from Middlesbrough and Burnley fans. Brilliant starts to the season but concentration begins to seriously tail off, especially over the course of 46 games.
  • So I'm just watching the highlights of Bikey's new team Northeast United vs David Platt's FC Pune and he's still a big man, possibly bigger than when he was with us...
  • ...but he's just scored a goal...
  • ...and performed a full summersault !