Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fan Of The Year

2»

Comments

• Any idea why he missed the Oldham game?
  • Well done Ron. I've always thought he looks like Richard Murray.

The only Charlton fan who's been to less weddings than you!
  • edited May 2015

For the benefit of those unable to attend the Dinner last night, the award for the Colin Cameron Fan of the Year went to Ron Hooper. Some will know Ron, but for those who do not, he is a Charlton fanatic . Not in the best of health, he suffers with arthritis, but drives on his own to every Charlton match from his home on the Sussex coast and has seen more than 850 consecutive matches and has only missed one game (away at Oldham) since 1992. I have no idea if Ron is active on Charlton Life but suspect not as he is a very shy man. I hope you agree he was a good choice for this prestigious award and if you do know him, be sure to pass on your congratulations when next you see him.

I think that was the game at Oldham when we had to wear Oldham's away kit that night. But that Oldham game was rescuduled when the original fixture was called off because of thick fog about a month earlier. That was also going to be a midweek game. Now had the clouds not decended so low that night a month earlier Ron would probably not have missed that game and he would now be on well over 1000 consecutive games. Maybe somewhere near 1200. But still amazing none the less and I'm sure he will reach the 1000 landmark. Seb (who has already won the award) is only about 40 or 50 consecustive games behind Ron and I'm sure Seb will get 1000 mark as well. Seb's brother has also racked up a high number of consecutive fixtures as well and not that far behind Seb. Another fan of note Owen Roose the young lad with the jester hat made it to about 130 consecutive matches aged 14 before missing a match last year. For that age when you take his schooling into account that is pretty impresive too. Paul Ellis the programme man also made it to about 800 consecutives as well.
  • For the benefit of those unable to attend the Dinner last night, the award for the Colin Cameron Fan of the Year went to Ron Hooper. Some will know Ron, but for those who do not, he is a Charlton fanatic . Not in the best of health, he suffers with arthritis, but drives on his own to every Charlton match from his home on the Sussex coast and has seen more than 850 consecutive matches and has only missed one game (away at Oldham) since 1992. I have no idea if Ron is active on Charlton Life but suspect not as he is a very shy man. I hope you agree he was a good choice for this prestigious award and if you do know him, be sure to pass on your congratulations when next you see him.

I think that was the game at Oldham when we had to wear Oldham's away kit that night. But that Oldham game was rescuduled when the original fixture was called off because of thick fog about a month earlier. That was also going to be a midweek game. Now had the clouds not decended so low that night a month earlier Ron would probably not have missed that game and he would now be on well over 1000 consecutive games. Maybe somewhere near 1200. But still amazing none the less and I'm sure he will reach the 1000 landmark. Seb (who has already won the award) is only about 40 or 50 consecustive games behind Ron and I'm sure Seb will get 1000 mark as well. Seb's brother has also racked up a high number of consecutive fixtures as well and not that far behind Seb. Another fan of note Owen Roose the young lad with the jester hat made it to about 130 consecutive matches aged 14 before missing a match last year. For that age when you take his schooling into account that is pretty impresive too. Paul Ellis the programme man also made it to about 800 consecutives as well.
    I done all the games one season in the early 2000's, that is the only time I have 'done the set'.

Respect to the above mentioned.
  • Did he get 14 chips as his prize?
  • After having seen the photo I realise that I have seen Ron around the ground. Don't know him personally but well done.