Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Catering - what has happened to...

I apologise if this has been answered somewhere already.

In September, we introduced some excellent food stalls outside and inside the East Stand gates. There was a Mediterranean pastry stall and a pulled pork burger stall and the food was the best I've had at the Valley. Ever. These disappeared without warning around Christmas.

I've asked Charlton why and they've ignored my messages. Any ideas??

Comments

• To get you to buy the crap on offer in the ground.
  • My guess, and it is only a guess is that they pay a "pitch fee", soon find out they can't make sufficient money and quit.
  • 14 !!
  • I'm assuming it's a mix of the club looking for too much money for the pitch's and the people selling stuff not making enough profit to make it worthwhile. Also I think the club may want you to spend your dough inside the ground as they may make more.
    On a separate note my school have used the Valley to run exams for years but we've really cut back due to the high rates they've introduced.
  • Maybe the food stalls could not make the money without exploiting the fans, so left it to the club.
    Maybe the food stalls think actual food is better than fodder.
  • I apologise if this has been answered somewhere already.

In September, we introduced some excellent food stalls outside and inside the East Stand gates. There was a Mediterranean pastry stall and a pulled pork burger stall and the food was the best I've had at the Valley. Ever. These disappeared without warning around Christmas.

I've asked Charlton why and they've ignored my messages. Any ideas??

Ignored your messages, you don't hear that too often............................................
  • Well they both stopped appearing on the same game. Katrien looked puzzled when asked about it and didn't seem to know at one of the Q and A sessions.

If they club are trying to get us to buy food inside, they've failed. We've gone back to buying our lunch at our local cafe.
  • I really miss the mediterranean guys, even though I've had the p*ss taken for eating salad at a football match, it was nice food. I'm not a regular eater at the ground, so I guess I'm not the target audience...
  • F
    rananegra said:

I really miss the mediterranean guys, even though I've had the p*ss taken for eating salad at a football match, it was nice food. I'm not a regular eater at the ground, so I guess I'm not the target audience...

I do too. Was lovely and good value
  • They couldn't handle the logistics of using specially marked tongs to pick up vegetarian food and packed up.
  • Sponsored links:

• They could look at how the American do it. Been to a few baseball games in the US and every few minutes there are people coming up and down the aisles with a variety of food and drinks.

They want your money and go about getting it from you with the service and products.

• iaitch said:

They could look at how the American do it. Been to a few baseball games in the US and every few minutes there are people coming up and down the aisles with a variety of food and drinks.

They want your money and go about getting it from you with the service and products.

They tried this with hot dogs at the Huddersfield game. Went down line a lead balloon, the poor girls kept being told to get out of the way as they were blocking people's view of the match.
  • Ok fair enough if they've tried that.
  • Email wesley.spinks@cafc.co.uk his head of events and came back to me on my complaints re the food in the east.
  • rananegra said:

I really miss the mediterranean guys, even though I've had the p*ss taken for eating salad at a football match, it was nice food. I'm not a regular eater at the ground, so I guess I'm not the target audience...

Same here, it was great food
  • Was there plenty of food and drink available to Bournemouth fans in the upper west? After all our CEO wanted to make it a great day out for them not to make money.
  • The food ran out before the match
  • iaitch said:

Different psychology I suppose, we want to watch the game and maybe eat, the Americans want to eat and maybe watch the game.

Way more stoppages in American sports. Baseball is perfect for selling stuff. Plenty to do around the ground during the game too. A game of football might hinge on a single moment, not worth the risk of missing it for the sake of a pretzel.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd risk it for a biscuit.
  • iaitch said:

They could look at how the American do it. Been to a few baseball games in the US and every few minutes there are people coming up and down the aisles with a variety of food and drinks.

That's because at a baseball game someone could block your view for 20 minutes and you still wouldn't miss any action. Football is slightly different.
  • iaitch said:

They tried this with hot dogs at the Huddersfield game. Went down line a lead balloon, the poor girls kept being told to get out of the way as they were blocking people's view of the match.
    I get really mad when people keep getting up to go and get food during play - all have to stand up and then again when they comeback with the stuff. It seems to be happening quite a bit lately. Should be like snooker where you're not allowed back in after a new frame starts.
  • iaitch said:

I get really mad when people keep getting up to go and get food during play - all have to stand up and then again when they comeback with the stuff. It seems to be happening quite a bit lately. Should be like snooker where you're not allowed back in after a new frame starts.
    People used to wait till there was a break in play before going down the row, now they just don't care, especially at the end of games when they want to catch the next bus home.
  • A little story from Saturday, to demonstrate the need for greater staff training:

North stand lower. I ordered, amongst other things, 2½ pints of lager. I was pleasantly surprised when I was told the price, but things all became clear when just two halves were served up. No problem though, I'd just tell the girl what I really wanted and things would soon be sorted out. Next thing, we have the supervisor called over because apparently the serving girl doesn't have the authority to change an order once it's been paid. Lots of faffing about before my mate suggests, 'why don't you just sell us another pint and a half'. Sorted. Except that now we have 1 pint and three halves. 'Can we have an empty pint glass, please'? we ask. 'I don't know, I'll have to ask the supervisor'. Serving girl looks up at supervisor who is now shaking her head to say no. "WHAT" I shout in a tone similar the that irate American guy in Fawlty Towers. To which the supervisor changes her mind and pretends that she was only joking. Unbelievable!
  • You must have known when she said the price that you weren't getting 2 1/2 pints?
  • iaitch said:

Here in Seattle (and I imagine most places) you can purchase a Premium ticket with a food credit.