Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Essex CCC

2»

Comments

• Options
    Will be a shame if it doesn't go ahead. I went to the Middlesex game last week (a freebie as compensation for their earlier ticket cock-up) and it was a great game with some superb batting by Essex. I did feel a little sorry for Middlesex's George Scott though; two dropped catches, made what looked like one good catch only for the umpire to rule that it bounced first and got ripped apart by the Essex crowd.
  • Options
    Rained off and Glous won, so Essex are through to the quarters away at Edgbaston
  • Options
    Went to a couple of Essex 50 over matches with my 9 year old this season down at Chelmsford and thoroughly enjoyed it
    I've never really had a cricket team of my own and being a mature adult let my son chose who he wanted to support ,although I did tell him not to ever shout out "Eagles"
  • Options

Went to a couple of Essex 50 over matches with my 9 year old this season down at Chelmsford and thoroughly enjoyed it
    I've never really had a cricket team of my own and being a mature adult let my son chose who he wanted to support ,although I did tell him not to ever shout out "Eagles"

I thought you had a softer spot for them than the Spanners..... No? :wink:
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Had to search for this thread but just wanted to say well done Jamie, you have worked so hard and deserve it.

Jamie Porter: Bowler agrees new three-year Essex deal.
    4 hours ago From the sectionCricket

Essex seamer Jamie Porter has signed a new three-year contract with the club.

The 22-year-old, who has been an ever-present in Essex's County Championship side this year, will stay at Chelmsford until the end of the 2018 season.

He has taken 52 wickets at an average of 25.57 in his four-day career and made his one-day debut this season, taking five wickets.

"He has a brilliant attitude and is always willing to improve," said Essex committee chairman Ronnie Irani.

"Jamie has shown this season what a talent he is and now has the opportunity to continue his development for the next three years and become a key member of the Essex squad," added the club's former all-rounder Irani, 43, who played three Test matches and 31 one-day internationals for England.

Now his immediate future is sorted, Porter is looking forward to continuing his progress.

"This will give me the chance to continue what I've been doing this season and keep developing as a player," he said.

"I have learnt a lot over the past season and have enjoyed taking more of a responsibility with the ball in the County Championship and One-Day Cup."

Those are exceptional figures in the championship! Especially for a first season... well done to the lad top stuff!
  • Options
    Would have been 23 odd but mighty Kent knocked him around at Tunbridge.

'Never want to see that poxy ground again'
  • Options
    Quality stuff Jamie! In other news, Reece topley is leaving to play for (i think) Hampshire to increase his England chances

Head coach Paul Grayson has resigned.

Basically, Essex are struggling. We keep on amost winning and almost getting promoted. We bring through loads of quality players and then lose them. I hope whoever takes over can get us ayong to our potential
  • Options
    Not sure Topley is fit enough for a sustained championship campaign.

Tymal Mills was similarly injury prone and left for Sussex but looks like going to have to retire from first class and only play t20 or 50 over games
  • Options
    And didn't realise until recently paul Grayson is brother of Preston manager Simon Grayson.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shame about Topley. I was hoping he'd come to Surrey.

I do have some good news for you Essex fans though! Tim Linley of Surrey has signed a pre contract with Essex and will be joining at the end of the season. He is a very good bowler in my view as demonstrated by his 5for in the first division whilst on loan at Sussex earlier this year. It was his first match back from injury in almost a year and he was right on the money straight off.. wasn't given the chances he deserved at Surrey I think given a run of games and the right support he will be a great player for you even if he is coming towards the end of his career. He will benefit from the green tops over at your place.

Here is what I said on a Surrey message board earlier today!

I feel Linley has been very badly treated by us! And I don't blame him if he moves on at this stage of his career he would want/need to be playing regularish games..
    If he can get that somewhere else then I say good luck to him and I hope it works out! Thanks for the memories of that 2011 season where your wickets singlehandedly got us promoted!

A reliable if not spectacular bowler who will always do a job and never let you down... bowled a consistently good nagging line and length that asked questions and never gave away freebies! In my view a much underrated bowler who the selectors were always a bit too keen to drop for the "sexier" bowlers.
  • Options
    Didn't realise Jamie was MrOneLungs nephew , congratulations to him
    I'll make a note of that and watch out for him next time as long as Jesse Ryder hasn't eaten him
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Unfortunately Essex can't compete with the 'Test' counties. I have a real issue with one dayers and T20's not being spread around outside of the test grounds as it would at least give other counties a bit more financial power.
  • Options

Unfortunately Essex can't compete with the 'Test' counties. I have a real issue with one dayers and T20's not being spread around outside of the test grounds as it would at least give other counties a bit more financial power.

It seems that the only way smaller counties can keep hold of their best players is if they end up on central ECB contracts (and then end up missing for most of the season on England duty anyway!)