Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mayweather v Pacquiao

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I used to watch a lot of boxing on the telly with my dad, as he used to box when he was in the army, (never actually been to a boxing match apart from the den).

So I really haven't watched the boxing scene properly for 20 years, and haven't really followed either of these guy's boxing careers/ how good actually are they?

Sky keep bigging up this pay for view fight , I just wondered is it going to be all that, or is it just hype, and are any fellow going to watch it?

Comments

• You never can tell with live sport, could be a classic or a bore or over in the first round.
  • edited April 2015
    Hope I'm wrong - but think it'll be boring as hell. A couple of rounds sussing each other out then Floyd winning by defence and the very odd flurry.

Mayweather has no interest in putting on a show for the paying public.

Floyd on points......fairly comfortably.

Having said that - there's no way that I'd miss it.
  • Long old day given that we kick off at 12.15, not sure I'll be able to stay up for it
  • This fight should have been 5 years ago really when both in their prime
  • edited April 2015

Not a huge boxing fan but I really want Pacman to win. Cannot stand Mayweather. He's a cocky woman beating moron and I hope Manny knocks him out.

A proper family man Pacman, that does a lot for the people of his country. Really hope he pulls it off.

Agree that I would like to see Pac win VG, but I cant see it TBH.
  • I wanted Pacman to win...

...and then I saw this...

I got a little bit of sick in my mouth seeing that I'm afraid.
  • Growing up in the 70's and 80's I used to watch a lot of boxing on the telly with my dad, as he used to box when he was in the army, (never actually been to a boxing match apart from the den).

So I really haven't watched the boxing scene properly for 20 years, and haven't really followed either of these guy's boxing careers/ how good actually are they?

Sky keep bigging up this pay for view fight , I just wondered is it going to be all that, or is it just hype, and are any fellow going to watch it?

Hard to say how the fight will go, but in terms of the 'size' of the fight I do believe this is the most anticipated fight at least in my lifetime. Its the one everyone has been asking about for the last five years, and it was never a certainty that it would actually happen.

If Mayweather wins, then it pretty much cements his place as the best pound for pound fighter of all time.

If Pacquiao wins then it will be a landmark moment for the sport as it will mean the end of one of the greatest undefeated streaks in history.

Though Manny is coming off the back of a couple of losses, I still believe he is one of the only, possibly THE only person who has the potential to beat him. If Mayweather wins then he may as well retire as he would be going out on top with a flawless career which can't be bettered by fighting any further.

I can't wait.
  • Greenie said:

Not a huge boxing fan but I really want Pacman to win. Cannot stand Mayweather. He's a cocky woman beating moron and I hope Manny knocks him out.

A proper family man Pacman, that does a lot for the people of his country. Really hope he pulls it off.

Agree that I would like to see Pac win VG, but I cant see it TBH.
    With my very little boxing knowledge, I understand the odds are stacked firmly against Pac. A stoppage is his only chance, what with home judges, against the best defensive boxer in history. BUT this is sport, anything can happen and Pacmans speed looks better than ever. Round 8 win for The Pac man!
  • IIRC, wasnt one of the reasons why the negotiations for the fight a few years ago broke down because of Mayweather's insistence that Pac had regular blood tests...and Pac had a phobia of blood tests and refused point blank. Or am I totally making that up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Anything can happen, only takes one punch.

Tyson looked invincible until Buster Douglas beat him then looked vulnerable after that.

Kirkland Laing was twice boxing Colin Jones head off and then took a punch and it was all over.

Lennox Lewis coasting against Rahman then whoops he on the floor.

You never know with boxing.

If its close or disputed decision then we'll have a rematch to generate more dollars and the hype begins again bit like Froch/Groves only a tad larger scale.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

IIRC, wasnt one of the reasons why the negotiations for the fight a few years ago broke down because of Mayweather's insistence that Pac had regular blood tests...and Pac had a phobia of blood tests and refused point blank. Or am I totally making that up?

Freddie Roach wouldn't let Pac take a drug test so close to the fight
  • JohnBoyUK said:

IIRC, wasnt one of the reasons why the negotiations for the fight a few years ago broke down because of Mayweather's insistence that Pac had regular blood tests...and Pac had a phobia of blood tests and refused point blank. Or am I totally making that up?

Freddie Roach wouldn't let Pac take a drug test so close to the fight
    Ah ok, I made that up then :)
  • Not a huge boxing fan but I really want Pacman to win. Cannot stand Mayweather. He's a cocky woman beating moron and I hope Manny knocks him out.

Don't be fooled, Pac is hardly an angel.

But I do agree I hope he wins.
  • Mayweather accused him of taking steroids that's why he wanted the blood tests.

I thought they said ok as long as Mayweather was tested as well but he refused.

• colthe3rd said:

What do you mean by that Col?

The only controversy I can remember is he was suspected of tax evasion but that was never proved and no charges were brought against him. Is there other stuff?
  • Roach said on one of the 1,000 HBO shows that Manny was useless in training for 3 days after a blood test. This was apparently why they didn't initially agree to it....ahem!
  • Hope I'm wrong - but think it'll be boring as hell. A couple of rounds sussing each other out then Floyd winning by defence and the very odd flurry.

Mayweather has no interest in putting on a show for the paying public.

Floyd on points......fairly comfortably.

Having said that - there's no way that I'd miss it.

Agree with all of this. If this fight had happened 5 years ago, I think it would've been a lot closer but not now. I expect Mayweather to outbox Pacquiao for 12 rounds in a borefest. Mayweather's record may put him as the best boxer of his generation but he's boring to watch.
  • edited April 2015
    Reallistically what time is the fight going to actually start, I struggle to stay up To watch match of the day, let alone the middle of the night?
  • Appx 4:30 / 5:00 am usually.
  • Sponsored links:

Wow really, I've got no chance!

Wow really, I've got no chance!

Go bed at 10, set the alarm for 4:30am
  • colthe3rd said:

What do you mean by that Col?

The only controversy I can remember is he was suspected of tax evasion but that was never proved and no charges were brought against him. Is there other stuff?
    Yeah the tax evasion stuff but also hasn't been entirely faithful to his wife. Could be wrong but I'm also sure he had a slight problem with drink and recreational drugs as well in the past. Don't get me wrong he's not scum or anything but this whole persona that seems to have been created is very much that. Just like Money Mayweather, all it means is that these two can have the good v evil battle and it just generates more interest.

Like I say I want Pac to win so I've nothing against him but he's not the pure devout catholic his management try and paint.
  • Mayweather will win this on points, Manny will give him a decent fight but I can see Floyd using his defence to ground out the win. Manny needs to come out throwing & hope he catches Mayweather, Shane Mosley showed that you can get to Floyd but you need to keep on him
  • Mayweather wanted additional blood tests above and in addition to the mandatory ones he wanted them tested by a company he chose

Freedie Roach stated that the only ones that would happen are the ones done mandatory and by the boxing control
  • edited April 2015
    4.00am start the fight

"The main event is due to start at 4am British time, but could be pushed back if fights on the undercard go the distance."
  • Then you think its going to start and it takes the both fighters 15 minutes to get in the ring with their choreographed dancing/posing walk, one of them will keep the other one waiting, introductions will take a while, ref talks to both fighters, staring down competition, then the fight will start.

• One of the few occasions that living in North America actually puts a big sporting event at a more watchable time than if I was still in the UK. I'm not a massive boxing fan, just a very occasional viewer. I certainly know next to nothing about the politics of it outside the ring or the tactics inside the ring, but I do know Mayweather seems like a complete knob-end so I hope Pac wins, although the smart money seems to be on Floyd.

A mate has got the ppv package so a few us will be round his in his man-cave watching the fights, playing pool and sinking a few cheeky ones so should be a good evening whatever the fight is like.
  • Bleeding typical, I've been waking up in the middle of the night recently a lot for no apparent reason, now my sleep has gone back to a normal sleeping pattern a half decent fight comes on in the middle of the night, I could be tempted to record it, and watch it when I get up, without having prior knowledge of the outcome.
  • Does anyone know where they are showing this?