Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

29 April 1975 - 40 years ago

2»

Comments

• Options
    Don't remember much about the game at all but the atmosphere in the ground was something else. I don't think any game at the all seater Valley has or could come close. I agree that our younger Lifers who never stood on the Covered End on a night
    like that can't really appreciate what it was like. And if the all-seated capacity is just 27k I reckon there were many more in for that Preston game!
  • Options
    It was my first game, hooked for life !!!!
  • Options
    Amazing to think that it was forty years ago. Forty!

Do I remember it rightly that Keith Peacock was left out of the starting XI and left the ground in a huff before the kick off?
  • Options

pettgra said:

That was special.Bobby Charlton was manager I believe.
    Good Photo as well including the much maligned Peter Hunt.

Every successful team needs a Peter Hunt, especially in those days.
    Did all the dirty work, while Bowman, Peacock, Paddy and co. caught the eye
    Definitely, Kish springs to mind.
  • Options
    pettgra said:

pettgra said:

That was special.Bobby Charlton was manager I believe.
    Good Photo as well including the much maligned Peter Hunt.

Every successful team needs a Peter Hunt, especially in those days.
    Did all the dirty work, while Bowman, Peacock, Paddy and co. caught the eye
    Definitely, Kish springs to mind.
    Keith Jones
  • Options
    I was three at the time, but just looked through my dad's old programmes and he was obviously there:
  • Options
    A wonderful night. The tension was excruciating in the first half, especially when Bob Curtis missed the penalty just before half time. A huge release of tension and joy unconfined when Killer got those two late goals. A great pitch invasion too.

That was the last time we won promotion at the Valley. Be interesting to know if we've managed to clinch it as many times in SE7 as at Carlisle. Maybe not,
  • Options
    My first game too - not a bad anniversary present tonight:)
  • Options
    Went to every home game that season (I was 6) except 2 - Chesterfield (I think) and this one !
    Great team and, like others, can't believe how those 40 years have flown by.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Truly amazing night as a 17 year old standing at the bottom of the East Terrace next to the Covered End.

40 years? Jesus wept!!!

I was 17 that night too!

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I remember it was a very big 24k crowd. I've often wondered what that particular crowd would be like in our ground nowadays. Probably have to have some people sharing a seat.

With that particular crowd it would be a lot noisier for a start. There were only a few girls and not many family groups 'specially in the Covered end.
    I was a girl too!

• Options
    Halcyon days...honest footie.
  • Options
    Was there great night, remember looking across at Bobby Charlton thinking that this was most probably the start of a long managerial career, it turned out not to be, another of my great predictions.
  • Options
    This was my second game, after the 1-0 defeat at home to Bury. But this night was the night that made me realise that this was the team for me, at 9 years old...
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Truly amazing night as a 17 year old standing at the bottom of the East Terrace next to the Covered End.

40 years? Jesus wept!!!

I was 17 that night too!

I remember it was a very big 24k crowd. I've often wondered what that particular crowd would be like in our ground nowadays. Probably have to have some people sharing a seat.

With that particular crowd it would be a lot noisier for a start. There were only a few girls and not many family groups 'specially in the Covered end.
    I was a girl too!

and you're exactly the same age as me!
  • Options
    The sight of the covered end near the end was fantastic, a sea of scarves .and a wall of noise .
    I took my little brother who was crying at half time after we had missed the penalty , but what a second half , two great goals from Killer who became a legend therafter. Didn''t we win the evening standard five a side competition the very next week ?

Amazing double
  • Options

I was a girl too!

Are you not still?!

:-)
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

I was a girl too!

Are you not still?!

:-)
    I wish! I think the days of being a girl are long over sadly.

• Options
    edited April 2015

Loved that season - I was 20 and fancy free.
    Had a Terrace Season Ticket in those days, anyone remember them, and as usual went to every home game and loads of aways that season (Watford, Peterborough, Aldershot, Walsall, Plymouth and more - all the hotbeds of football, haha)
    That last game was so tense, as we had a bad case of Promotion "jitters" leading up to it.
    Still got every home programme and a few away in my loft (and that old season ticket book stubs)

Yep. I had a terrace S/T. Little "books" with yellow or pink covers, IIRC.
    Have you got a papermaché copy of the Brighton away programme? That was a wet one on March 8th before those jitters set in. My Dad and I (aged 12) went to the following match as well at the Goldstone Ground to check out fellow promotion contenders and ultimate champions Blackburn Rovers. The two pictures of the Charlton match in the programme show an aquaplaning Arthur Horsfield, Albion's Jim Walker and a white ball coming off the waterlogged pitch like a bouncing bomb and the hosts' goal in the one-all draw. Those Easter jitters were as memorable as the smell of the grass to those who weren't at the PNE game. At my school in Chichester I managed to keep Derek Hales' name written on the back of hand well into the cricket season. For me too it was my first taste of Charlton success.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I'd love to post an aquaplaning Arthur (from a digital photo), but I don't know how to do it on this site. Can you help me?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My first season as a season ticket holder and have been one ever since. image
  • Options

Haha what are you suggesting ? I always remember the home cup game against the stripey nigels in 68/69 (not that they were stripey in those days) official attendance was 30k (or there abouts) & it was far far away the biggest attendance I've ever seen at the Valley
  • Options
    Fantastic, twelve years old. Ran on got about 18 yards and went arse over tit! Walked home to Lee with grass stains all up my new strides. Mum tore into me for that.