Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Well done Simon Francis

Comments

• Options

Have to say he looks a very decent Championship full back. Very good on the ball, good passer and very composed. Excellent delivery as well.

The boos when he was announced getting his medal were pathetic.

Who would have thought he would reach the Prem before Chris Solly who has gone backwards this year.

That's because he's better than Chris Solly - modern full backs aren't 5ft 6
    Jesus Christ.

Incidentally, Philipp Lahm, one of the best full backs ever, modern or otherwise, is 5ft7.
    Solly has as much in common with Philipp Lahm as I do with Prince Philip

Same height are you?
  • Options

Have to say he looks a very decent Championship full back. Very good on the ball, good passer and very composed. Excellent delivery as well.

Who would have thought he would reach the Prem before Chris Solly who has gone backwards this year.

Jesus Christ.

Incidentally, Philipp Lahm, one of the best full backs ever, modern or otherwise, is 5ft7.

I never compared Solly with Philipp Lahm. I just pointed out that your comment that modern fullbacks can't be small was wrong and totally inane. Maybe you have more in common with Prince Philip than you think
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The Charlton fan that i'm hated the Fact that another Team celebrated at the valley.
    The Football fan that i'm loved the fact that a team that was 2 goals shy of the ton and try to win every game; playing pass and move to feet had the success they deserved. They always had a spare man and the only excuse was
    we had more men limping than a works bonding exercise on hot coals.

The majority of our fans were class even thou we were over generous on and off the pitch.
    That's what i always thought was Simon Francis best position ?
    in the opponent's half and attacking.

• Options

No, what is pathetic is the fact that there were still home fans in the ground to boo him whenhe got his medal. Why the F**k would anyone hang around to watch the opposition lord it in your own back garden?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Muttley, it's more the fact that people just judge on the last game they see.
    Solly had a poor game, and amnesia sets in and the two seasons of being the most consistent player at the club is forgotten by some.
    For the first time in his CAFC career Chris has lost a bit of confidence.
    Comes across as a quiet lad who will struggle with criticism.
    Chatted to Chris in Spain pre season and the difference between his mood when he realised he wouldn't play in either of the two games was noticeable.(because of injury)

I got stick at the Preston game when i said positive things about Francis
    after he had reached his nadir. That's why Eddie Howe is such a good coach because he can see what players are good at; and improve them as players as well as boosting their confidence.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Solly is a great player. We haven't missed Francis and he is more flexible in that he is a better defender and can play in an offensive or a defensive team. But Francis is a terrific attacking full back - and the signs were there even when he played for us - as Wiggins was before his injuries. Francis is athletic too and will be decent in the Premiership. It is funny the clues you get about a player that lots of people miss. I saw that Cousins is going to be a great player and much better than a lot of people think in a dour 1-0 defeat at home to Brighton. Noticed it and just watched him for half an hour.
  • Options
    Jordan Cousins read Jordan Henderson.
    Same strengths and same weaknesses.
    Close control will let both players down at times but have a fantastic engine and
    Henderson is 3 years older and Cousins needs the ball playing Midfielder alongside him to dove tail with. A centre mid all day long.
    can only get better as his decision making improves.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Jesus Christ.

I never compared Solly with Philipp Lahm. I just pointed out that your comment that modern fullbacks can't be small was wrong and totally inane. Maybe you have more in common with Prince Philip than you think
    Solly is a good player albeit one who hasn't improved in two seasons (maybe due to injury).

My comment about height stems from an observation that the trend for full backs in English football seems to be for those who are built like centre backs not wingers (the Bournemouth left back was also a unit by the way).

I would include the Prem likes of Jenkinson, Walker, Gibbs, Zabaleta, Ivanovic, Shaw, Johnson....

I presume the argument is that why give up a set piece and 'far post' height advantage when you can find a full back with height as well as all the other attributes a full back needs (pace, engine, crossing ability etc.)? They also offer a greater goal threat.

The smaller ones that continue to perform well (eg Creswell, Baines, Rose) need to be significantly better in one of those areas to justify selection.

If Solly has potentially lost a yard of pace then it is very concerning in this context.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Solly has shown recently, that he still has it. I'm not concerned in that respect. More concerned about Wiggins.
  • Options

Solly has shown recently, that he still has it. I'm not concerned in that respect. More concerned about Wiggins.

Agree - I don't rate Fox at all. We need a fit Wiggins back.

Wonder how Wiggins felt seeing Bournemouth go up?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think Fox could become an excellent player - he has made a leap this year. But he still has a lot of improving to do. Having Fox and Wiggins fighting for a place at a high level would be much better than who is the less shite! Let's hope it is the former.
  • Options
    Henderson v Cousins - difference is Henderson was getting loads of game time at England under age level and doing well. Would be great for Cousins to get into England U 21 squad.
    And @newyorkaddick thought exactly the same thing yesterday about Wiggins when he was on the sidelines.
  • Options
    Francis endured constant stick at the Valley and his confidence evaporated - our fans were dreadful towards him. He was never that bad and was part of a poor side - some fans need to move in.
    Francis and Kerm are playing for a better side as was shown yesterday.
  • Options
    Well, Wiggins can be part of our success next season. Bournemouth's success this season had nothing to do with him.
  • Options

I think Fox could become an excellent player - he has made a leap this year. But he still has a lot of improving to do. Having Fox and Wiggins fighting for a place at a high level would be much better than who is the less shite! Let's hope it is the former.

Not good enough technically on the ball though a decent defender.
  • Options
    has a good pass on him.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I would lose Wiggins to be honest, gets injured too often and takes too long to get back to match fitness, by which time he is ready to get injured again.

BTW he is the same height as Solly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I thought last season Fox did a solid job defensively and this year in his recent run he's done the same and showed a bit more of his attacking game.

Good passer and crosser but he's very uncomfortable running with the ball. He lacks that acceleration/agility to make a bit of space or play his way out of trouble, so when he's closed down he's forced to look go long or try a difficult pass. I think that limits how far he can go as a full back.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

I thought last season he did a solid job defensively and this year in his recent run he's done the same and showed a bit more of his attacking game.

Good passer and crosser but he's very uncomfortable running with the ball. He lacks that acceleration/agility to make a bit of space or play his way out of trouble, so when he's closed down he's forced to look go long or try a difficult pass. I think that limits how far he can go as a full back.

Francis, Solly, Wiggins or Fox? Could be anyone of them from this thread...
  • Options
    Should have said I was talking about Fox.
  • Options
    sometimes a player and a club just dont go together and that was clearly that for francis.
  • Options
    Shows that players who have written off by CAFC can still perform at a high level with the right manager and right club for their game.
  • Options

Wiggins could have gone back to Bournemouth at the beginning of last season,
    He turned them down because he was the regular Left back when fit (LOL)settled in Shortlands (Bromley) and the relationship was poor with the Cherries Fans. Plus they might not have approved of how many sickies he had.

• Options
    Francis had a wicked cross on him. Can that be said for any of our players?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Francis' crossing was mostly wickedly overhit.

Fox suffers in a similar sense in that he can only drive balls into the box at full pelt.

For the record I would still have Chris Solly in the side over any other right back in the division.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

Francis' crossing was mostly wickedly overhit.

Fox suffers in a similar sense in that he can only drive balls into the box at full pelt.

For the record I would still have Chris Solly in the side over any other right back in the division.

Give me half a dozen over hit crosses a game and two undefendable zingers vs 10 accurate but easily defended crosses any day.
  • Options
    "Francis has been Bournemouth’s Mr Consistent for the last three years, but stepped up his level a further notch this season. He has missed just eight league games from the last 138. No defender created more chances or made more assists in the Championship this season. Only one made more tackles and only three players completed more passes in the division."

http://thesetpieces.com/interviews/simon-francis-howe-best/#ixzz3alHTaat0