Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Middlesbrough

2»

Comments

• Options

MrOneLung said:

Yeah - sack the manager who took you to the play offs.

sack the manager who cost you however much premier league is worth nowadays

if they had stuck with a point and we beat Bournemouth they could have automatic so yeah sack him for trying to be cocky
    Cocky?? Going all out for the win is now considered cocky??

You do talk some bollocks
    why go for a win when a point is good enough
    if I was a boro fan I would be majorly pissed off

oh and I don't care if you think I talk bollocks, Mr keyboard warrior
    A draw wasn't good enough - they'd have needed Bournemouth to lose one of their last two games so definitely not "good enough"

Don't think I'm a "keyboard warrior" - I'd gladly say that to your face
    A draw gives them a chance going into the final match, a defeat doesn't
    considering they had 10 men as well it makes the decision even worse IMO

if you want to put 9 men in the box fair enough, but there was still a minute to go, so you know if they win the ball they will score
    so put 9 men in the box but leave you keeper back just in case
  • Options
    Imagine if Charlton signed a striker who in a play off semi final penalty shoot out, decided to be cocky and done a little dink shot, missed and cost his team promotion to the Prem.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Imagine if Charlton signed a striker who in a play off semi final penalty shoot out, decided to be cocky and done a little dink shot, missed and cost his team promotion to the Prem.

dunno why Yann is being brought into this but Leicester fans hate him for that and I don't believe he ever played for them again
    so thanks for proving my point
  • Options
    edited April 2015

MrOneLung said:

if they had stuck with a point and we beat Bournemouth they could have automatic so yeah sack him for trying to be cocky

A draw wasn't good enough - they'd have needed Bournemouth to lose one of their last two games so definitely not "good enough"

if you want to put 9 men in the box fair enough, but there was still a minute to go, so you know if they win the ball they will score
    A draw gives them a very very slim chance. If they were to have serious ambitions for automatic promotion then they had to win. If I were a Boro fan id be disappointed if my manager hasn't thrown the dice and gone all out for the vital win

Still waiting for you to "prove" your point btw
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

A draw gives them a very very slim chance. If they were to have serious ambitions for automatic promotion then they ha to win. If I were a Boto fan if be disappointed if my manager hasn't thrown the dice and gone all out for the vital win

I dont need to prove my point
    IMO he made a big mistake having ten men and putting his keeper in the box

I no I am not the only one who thinks that and just because you disagree I aint gonna lose any sleep over it
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

A draw gives them a very very slim chance. If they were to have serious ambitions for automatic promotion then they ha to win. If I were a Boto fan if be disappointed if my manager hasn't thrown the dice and gone all out for the vital win

I no I am not the only one who thinks that and just because you disagree I aint gonna lose any sleep over it
    But proving your point it the very essence of debating. If you're not going to back up/prove your opinion then what's the point of expressing it?
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

But proving your point it the very essence of debating. If you're not going to back up/prove your opinion then what's the point of expressing it?
    proving what point

I said that If Boro dont go up and I was Gibson I would sack AK for that decision
    why?
    because they had 10 men and a point kept there chances alive into the last game where they are home and Bournemouth away
    there was a minute left on the clock and if it was a poor corner and the keeper grabbed it, it was always gonna lead to a goal which cost them.

So IMO it was a terrible decision

trying to figure out what you want me to prove
  • Options
    Why you would sack a manager for being bold/daring and for getting your team so close to automatic promotion in the first place - you'd be a fool to sack a manager like Karanka for "playing it safe" and settling for a slim chance of automatic promotion

In a way I'm glad you're not CAFC chairman with that sort of mindset
  • Options

Why you would sack a manager for being bold/daring and for getting your team so close to automatic promotion in the first place - you'd be a fool to sack a manager like Karanka for "playing it safe" and settling for a slim chance of automatic promotion

In a way I'm glad you're not CAFC chairman with that sort of mindset

ok lets say you own a company
    and someone makes 1 bad decision and it costs you over £100 million, would you honesty keep him in his job

look at it from Gibsons eyes, he like most chairman is a businessman and he has just lost over £100 million

as I said I would only sack him if Boro win and Bournemouth lose on Saturday and Boro fail in the playoffs
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

MrOneLung said:

And it had paid off he would have been god, such are the vagaries of football.
    and if I was rich and attractive I could be dating Ariana Grande

its not about what could have happened its about what has happened, and what has happened is Middlesbrough have lost any chance of automatic promotion because of a bad managerial decision
    Have you actually dated anyone?
    Googles Ariana Grande

Too short, fails the Charlton Life test
  • Options
    Paulie - Boro have had one of their best seasons in recent times (since being relegated) so why would they sack him? Playoffs was probably the highest they expected to reach this year so the way they battled down to the last 2 games has been extremely impressive.

Will you still mug him off if he smashes through the playoffs and ends up in the Prem? No. There are very fine lines in football and the keeper going up was a gamble, one that didn't come off granted, but If it had he'd be hailed a hero. Karanka has done a good job at Boro and looks like he'll be a decent manager going forwards. One mistake gamble shouldn't define a really good season.
  • Options
    I think Steve Gibson has more sense than you seem to have paulie.
  • Options
    Personally think he was silly to send goalie up, but maybe previous brave/strange decisions he has made has gained them 3,4,5 points and got them up there in first place.

The reason I mentioned Yann's play off penalty is because if next season for some reason we needed a manager and we were linked with unemployed Karanka you would say no, he is too cocky yet Yann did brilliant job for us after his 'cockiness'
  • Options
    Yes and btw answer the dating question Paulie.
  • Options
    If promotion is indeed worth £100m and my probabilities are correct (which they are within reason) then his decision cost the club £20-30m in expected value terms.

For this simple reason his position should have become untenable.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Well Bournemouth are going to lose on Saturday...aren't they?

Yes, by 19-0
  • Options
    after the result on Saturday , whatever happens in our game means nothing to Boro (19-0 etc apart) now that Bournemouth won last night
    so any bollox about well he should have done this or that if we beat Bournemouth is all chuff because there's no way Bournemouth will play exactly the same now they are assured promotion
  • Options
    I'm with Paulie on this.

Bournemouth would be coming to the Valley 2 points ahead.
    Bournemouth only ever play to win.
    This would suit Charlton.
    Bournemouth would have got nervous.
    Boro go a goal up early on.
    Francis have flashbacks of the Preston game, his last at the Valley.
    Tony Watt beats 3 men and scores a worldy.
    The Bournemouth fans go silent.
    Brighton concede another goal.
    Johann scores a free kick.

Karanka mistake is the worse in football since Glenn Hoddle let David Batty take a penalty in the world Cup.
    If you can't think on your feet, you die on your knees in Football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is Ariana Grande even legal?

My kids watch her on TV, she looks about 13!
  • Options
    Karanka was foolish and to me it was a decision based on ego. That said he has done well this season so to suggest he is sacked or his position is untenable seems extreme. When you hire young managers this is the sort of mistake they make. It is a shame as I like Gibson, a British, fan owner who has sunk untold millions into his team and I feel sympathy for him. That being said, for Charlton reasons promotion for Bournemouth, owned by a petrol dollars billionaire ahead of Middlesbrough where Gibsons cash must be running out and they are swamped with debt is not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

Would have been nice going into this last game with it meaning something and I can bet Wiggins would have had a blinder and scored if we had had to win to keep Bournemouth down but so be it.
  • Options

If promotion is indeed worth £100m and my probabilities are correct (which they are within reason) then his decision cost the club £20-30m in expected value terms.

Is that really how football works though?
  • Options

I'm with Paulie on this.

Bournemouth would be coming to the Valley 2 points ahead.
    Bournemouth only ever play to win.
    This would suit Charlton.
    Bournemouth would have got nervous.
    Boro go a goal up early on.
    Francis have flashbacks of the Preston game, his last at the Valley.
    Tony Watt beats 3 men and scores a worldy.
    The Bournemouth fans go silent.
    Brighton concede another goal.
    Johann scores a free kick.

Karanka mistake is the worse in football since Glenn Hoddle let David Batty take a penalty in the world Cup.
    If you can't think on your feet, you die on your knees in Football.

They are in the playoffs, it's not like the decision relegated them, or dropped them out of the playoffs is it? They still have a chance. Also, who will replace them? What manager have they had recently that has had half the success of this season? None. The guy's done a fantastic job so far and there are far more positives than this one mistake.
  • Options
    The play it safe hindsight bores out in force ....
    I suppose that's Charlton for ya

He who dares Rodney , he who dares
  • Options

Is Ariana Grande even legal?

My kids watch her on TV, she looks about 13!

yes, she is 21

• Options

Is that really how football works though?
    I suspect at the start of the match he thought it was a 'must win' game (and more importantly very 'winnable') but surely any decent intelligent manager adjusts his expectations as the facts change and reviews the situation de novo (ie. once you are 3-1 down with 10 men). At 3-3 he should have been protecting that precious point not trying to achieve his original target.

It's a bit like a golfer standing on a Par 5 tee and saying this is a 'must birdie' hole, but if he hooks his drive into the woods, he mentally accepts that even a bogey might be an acceptable score rather than blow his entire round by trying to get that elusive birdie.