Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Met Eltham candidate Spencer Drury

Nice chap who is a good speaker and was beginning to make me consider the conservatives. Already done lots for the community even as a teacher at Colfes.

Key points:
He isn't into football
Thinks housing is one of the main issues - particularly for my generation (I'm 18).
Very passionate about preventing plans for permitting local roads near eltham park.
Also want to put money towards Eltham highstreet and create a proper town square (like that in woolwich)
Wants to remain in EU as leaving would bring negatives to economy - but seemed to agree with having a referendum (contradictory like most conservatives in this field).

Overall seemed a nice bloke....

However remarks about UKIP showed a true politicians colours
Said voting UKIP is a wasted vote - I replied with "if we all have that attitude then conservatives and labour would swap control over government forever" he said yes but this year in particular will be a wasted vote as the decision between labour and conservatives is important (but it will be like that every time!!)

Then he ended the conversation about UKIP by saying "have you met the local UKIP candidate?" "I can assure you wouldn't like him"

Overall:
Nice enough bloke with some good ideas for the local community, however when a politician (candidate) makes negative remarks about a party and particularly a candidate he knows I'm interested in it makes me want to vote for them more. I was there to learn about the conservatives and compare them to other parties not here one group take a knock at another.

Comments

• Nice chap who is a good speaker and was beginning to make me consider the conservatives. Already done lots for the community even as a teacher at Colfes.

Key points:
    He isn't into football
    Thinks housing is one of the main issues - particularly for my generation (I'm 18).
    Very passionate about preventing plans for permitting local roads near eltham park.
    Also want to put money towards Eltham highstreet and create a proper town square (like that in woolwich)
    Wants to remain in EU as leaving would bring negatives to economy - but seemed to agree with having a referendum (contradictory like most conservatives in this field).

Said voting UKIP is a wasted vote - I replied with "if we all have that attitude then conservatives and labour would swap control over government forever" he said yes but this year in particular will be a wasted vote as the decision between labour and conservatives is important (but it will be like that every time!!)

Then he ended the conversation about UKIP by saying "have you met the local UKIP candidate?" "I can assure you wouldn't like him"

Overall:
    Nice enough bloke with some good ideas for the local community, however when a politician (candidate) makes negative remarks about a party and particularly a candidate he knows I'm interested in it makes me want to vote for them more. I was there to learn about the conservatives and compare them to other parties not here one group take a knock at another.

Spencer was once part of the referendum party, which was the predecessor to UKIP in many ways...

He has to tow the party line about "wasted votes" etc... He is a Conservative after all.
  • edited April 2015

He's right in all honesty. In effect, voting for any party outside of the main two is wasted or even counter-productive while we stick with FPTP voting.

"if we all have that attitude then conservatives and labour would swap control over government forever"

Protest voting isn't new, it's been happening for decades or more yet still, isn't this how it's always been and always will be?

It's a sad symptom of our voting system.

Skip to 5:00 in the video below for the relevant section of the video (although I do suggest watching all of it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

If a party vowed to overhaul the voting system, they'd likely get my vote. But that's a topic for another thread.
  • Good of him to promise money to revamp eltham. Plans are already underway and the money already allocated.
  • Good of him to promise money to revamp eltham. Plans are already underway and the money already allocated.

They've already done the Mcdonald's!
  • At least he's not Millwall !
  • I've heard from my family that he seems like a decent guy. He apparently drinks in the Long Pond regularly.

But then so does Clive Efford. He has an excellent reputation as a constituency MP; he kicked Greenwich Council's ass and got my Mum's blue badge back. Most importantly he is the shadow Sports Minister and the architect of Labour's plan to get supporters into the boardrooms of their clubs.

If my vote was in Eltham I'd be voting for Clive Efford.
  • Is he still at Colfes? Always looked quite a stern chap that actually expected you to work in lessons, was glad I never got him at the time.
    That said, he has my vote.
  • Talal said:

that actually expected you to work.

Too right. That's why he is conservative ;)
  • Talal said:

Is he still at Colfes? Always looked quite a stern chap that actually expected you to work in lessons, was glad I never got him at the time.
    That said, he has my vote.

He is. He actually taught me. He expected you to do your work but he was a bloody good teacher and we were all the better for it. He really cared which was nice to be honest. Became head of sixth form.
  • Clive Efford is a very good local MP and I would think has a rising star in the Labour Party. He will get my vote.
  • Sponsored links:

• Very good Labour man Elford an utter twat
  • Goonerhater, I think the general election thread needs you!
  • Utter in this context means complete total and absolute.
    Utter is an interesting word in itself, derived from the German I would imagine which would explain its (mis)use in 'utterly butterly' because Clover is not complete total and absolute butter.
    To utter is also to speak which politicians do a lot.
    Now I wonder if Clive Efford is 'utterly' in the usual sense of the word, or in the Clover sense of the word. The implication of course is that if one isn't utterly something, then one is partially something...can one be a partial twat?
    Forgive my utterances on here which of course are not spoken, but used in the sense of give forth, issue, or emit which is a subsidiary definition of utter.
    Sorry about this post but utterly bored.
  • Thanks for the review Josh - won't object to anything except I thought I said I quite liked Peter (which I do). Sorry (to him mostly) if I said that, not least as we have worked together a lot over the years. Still no point in voting for him though......
  • Efford is Millwall but did come to the opening of the Charlton Athletic Museum

Farage is Palace, nuff said

If only there were some sort of party with an affiliation to the Valley and Charlton Athletic.
  • Spencer said:

Thanks for the review Josh - won't object to anything except I thought I said I quite liked Peter (which I do). Sorry (to him mostly) if I said that, not least as we have worked together a lot over the years. Still no point in voting for him though......

Enjoying charlton life are we?
  • Say something nice about an MP on here and then tell him you have done - pretty pathetic really. I doubt he is beginning to make you consider the Conservatives as you said in your obser....er sorry review!!!
  • Can't wait for the day when Boris Johnson joins CL, like our friend from Eltham.
  • edited April 2015

Nice chap who is a good speaker and was beginning to make me consider the conservatives. Already done lots for the community even as a teacher at Colfes.

Key points:
    He isn't into football

Overall:

I had a brief chat with him when he was doing door to door, he has also lived next door to a school friend of mine for years. He did come across as a nice enough bloke. I'm young too and he mentioned most of the same things he did to you, emphasis on housing and clearing debt for the future of us, although I didn't bother talking to him about UKIP. He also mentioned long term he would like to see a Grammar school open up in Eltham, which I thought was interesting although it would be a long time before that became a real plan I think.

Maybe you should meet the local UKIP candidate (if you haven't already) and decide for yourself. I like the fact that he was honest with you, don't think that shows 'politicians true colours' at all - quite the opposite actually. I have heard from a mate the local UKIP bloke for Eltham is an absolute prat, not met him myself mind. I would also say to you that UKIP is a wasted vote and not just that but a stupid one too, especially in Eltham because it is about seats not votes and UKIP stand no chance in Eltham whatsoever - thankfully.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015

If a party vowed to overhaul the voting system, they'd likely get my vote. But that's a topic for another thread.

We've already had a referendum on that during the current Parliamentary term. In that referendum, 67.9% opted to retain FPTP.

Regardless on whether you agree or not, it can't be argued that the electorate weren't consulted.
  • edited April 2015
    Leuth said:

Goonerhater, I think the general election thread needs you!

Fiiish is doing a grand job as a Goonerhater stand in !
  • Spencer's a good guy and a decent opposition leader on Greenwich Council - if they'd picked him in 2010 to run in Eltham rather than hopeless Cameron A-lister David Gold, he could have beaten Efford. (Instead, he got sent off to lose in Greenwich and Woolwich.)

He's much more of a rugby man, of course.
  • shirty5 said:

Can't wait for the day when Boris Johnson joins CL, like our friend from Eltham.

Neither can I, but since that day is a while off, and we have @Spencer, let's ask him.

Spencer, do you consider that the current terms of West Ham's lease of the Olympic Stadium represent the best available deployment of taxpayers' money in respect of the Olympic legacy, and London's other pressing needs?

Can we be assured that it is a complete coincidence that messrs Gold and Sullivan are Tory Party donors, while Karren Brady has been made a CBE and will shortly become Lady Brady?

Are you 100% satisfied that Boris Johnson's involvement in the deal will stand scrutiny under Freedom of Information requests?

If you prefer to answer personally then a couple of us from the Supporters Trust are meeting our counterparts from the Orient Trust to discuss the issue in the Long Pond on Saturday, and we'd be very happy to buy you several pints and get your perspective on the matter. We don't actually want it to be a party political matter, despite the questions above. Personally, I believe the LLDC were simply no match for those sharp operators, but the taxpayer and Charlton Athletic should not have to pay the price.

• Have you worked out who you will vote for yet Prague ?

;0)
  • Have you worked out who you will vote for yet Prague ?

;0)

Yes, just about :-)

But I am having difficulty working out who my Mum, brother, sister and nephew should be voting for :-). And since they are all in Eltham Park, I am sure they could be swayed by Mr Drury's commitment to reopen the Olympic Stadium deal :-)
  • A good teacher by all accounts, however I was never taught by him at Colfes. Was always moaning at me for having my shirt untucked but he was always alright. I feel that digging at another party shows signs of weakness in his own views.