Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Leeds - Player Marks

Comments

• Henderson - 8
    Solly - 7
    Gomez - 7.5
    TBH - 7
    Fox - 7
    Eagles - 6
    Buyens - 7
    Bulot - 7
    Watt - 7
    Vetokele - 6.5
    Cousins - 6.5
    Gudmundsson - 7.5
  • Henderson - 8. MOTM and POTY.

Solly - 6. Not the Solly of old but still dependable.

Gomez - 7 maturing nicely. Lucky that he missed with one really reckless lunge

TBH - 6. Not as dependable as earlier in the season. Should have at least been booked for the penalty tackle.

Fox - 7. Continues to surprise me. Still think he leaves wingers too much room outside and he needs to learn a trick to get past people but he's a million times better than the freak show we saw earlier in the season. Fair play to the boy.

Eagles - 3. Utter waste of space. Can see why he has drifted from club to club. Talented but no desire.

Diarra n/a

Buyens - 8. Best game for yonks. Don't think I have ever seen a better penalty taker.

Bulot - 7. Strong performance that needed an end product. Bales Fox out a lot of the time.

Watt - 7. Curates egg. Never stops trying but takes the wrong option most of the time. Great goal. Looked subdued. Didn't milk the crowd at the end as he normally does.

Vetokele - 4. waste of space on performances since Christmas. Couldn't trap a bag of cement. Looks uninterested. If it's an injury he should be rested. If its attitudinal we should get rid. Whatever the case our coaches have some work to do here.

Cousins - 6. Didn't think he was all that yesterday. Effort as usual but below his recent standards.

Gudmundsson - 8. Changed the game. Class act. Keep please.
  • purdis said:

Henderson - 8 Another classy display from our number 1. Great penalty save, and ALMOST saved their goal. People talk about his mistake, but I'm not sure it he is the one demanding a back pass when Morrison is buzzing around like a demented wasp. Had an instrumental part in the winning goal.

Solly - 6 Solid, without much support from his supposed winger in the first half. But should have the captaincy taken away from him. He shows no capacity for the role. There was a spell in the 2nd half when there was a long break for an injury to a Leeds player. We were 1-0 down at the time, and a proper captain would have called a huddle, and given the team a right telling off. I'm sure Jacko would have. Solly just let the team do their own thing.

Gomez - 7.5 What a player! I do a double take sometimes, when I am reminded he is only 17. More difficult for him, playing on the left side, without the organisational strength of Johnson along side him. But won header after header, and showed great skill and passing when bringing the ball out from the back. This kid really is going all the way.
    TBH - 6 Where has the TBH of early to mid season gone? He didn't play badly, but not his commanding, organising self.

Fox - 5.5 Very good first half, but really fell away in the second. His passing was so bad in the 2nd, my mate shouted "Have you got a bet on Leeds?" This also had the very deleterious effect of reducing the threat of Bulot. Still in credit from his recent good performances.

Eagles - 4 ????. If this was his attempt at playing for a contract, I have no idea what he was doing. Spent a lot of the game drifting inside (on both wings) leaving his fall back exposed. Also showed a terrible lack of desire, spending a lot of his time on the pitch either stationery, or strolling about. Inexcusable for a player wanting a career at the club.

Diarra n/a

Buyens - 8 MOTM Charlton's game plan was severely disrupted by the early loss of Diarra. This meant that the team had to re-adjust the way they played. Yoni went deeper, started to win tackles, and got the team moving again. Excellent penalty, as always. I record shows we are a much better team with him, than without him. I would love to make his move to the Valley permanent.

Bulot - 6.5 A real threat in the first half. His pace was a thorn in the side of the Leeds defence. Hit one brilliant cross in the first half, only to see neither of the two strikers make any sort of move to get on the end of it. Eagles could learn a lot from watching the defensive work that Fred puts in. For me, I would much rather see Bulot sign permanently, than we give a contract to Eagles.

Watt - 6 A decent goal, but seemed to be playing musical statues for a lot of the game. I am getting more and more concerned about his lack of mobility. He doesn't win headers, nor does he seem able to hold the ball up. Still an exciting player to watch, and looks the best finisher we have. Looking forward to see improvements when he has a full pre-season.

Vetokele - 5.5 Igor now looks jaded, and in need of a rest. Good work to win the penalty, but looks like he can't wait for the season to end. I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT WE WILL SEE A REINVIGORATED IGOR NEXT SEASON. He has had a long hard season, often carrying the only strike threat that we have had.

Cousins - 7 I was surprised he was left out of the original team, but I could see what Guy was trying to do. The injury to Diarra caused Charlton to have to adjust to a new system, and Jordan's energy was part of that. As the opposition tires, Jordan's influence gets stronger and stronger. Covers every blade of grass, and was fundamental in allowing Buyens to dictate the play. He can look back on having a very good first full season. I would make him vice captain now. I consider him far better leadership material than Solly.

Gudmundsson - 8 If he had played the full 90 minutes, would almost certainly been man of the match. A hand in both our goals. The Football League show rarely gets things right about Charlton, but whoever covered our game, said that Charlton's game plan in the 2nd half revolved about getting the ball to Johann. Which we did. Which he made work. The neuro surgeon around which the rest of the operating team works. Class. Absolute class!

Luzon - 9 Another top notch performance from the Head Coach. Obviously trying to hide JBG from the circling vultures of Premiership scouts, and giving the likes of Ben Haim and Eagles an opportunity to prove they are worth a contract. But when it isn't working, has no qualms about changing things. I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full pre-season, and building the squad in his image. Also like the fact that he gave all the credit to the players after the game, and claimed none for himself.

Good summary and observations.

Agree with everything except on Tony Watt.
    He can do all the things you suggest he should be doing but for some reason he and Igor have yet to gel, Igor gets frustrated and becomes too static so Watt makes more and more individual runs and it makes him look greedy. If Luzon can get those two to gel and feed each other it will be a real winner.
    Watt is everything I would look for in a striker at this level and I expect him to move up to the next level if his mindset allows - certainly has the ability - a bit like a young David Nugent but I think better.

A pal of mine at Bolton was surprised we'd signed Eagles on a short term (or on any term).
    He said that he's a poser who doesn't like being tackled, can't tackle or defend, himself (as you point out) and spends most of the time walking round posing.
    Eagles can certainly play and showed some good pace and movement coming forward first half and maybe he can do a job.

One thing's for sure is that Watt & Igor were different players when JBG replaced Eagles - the difference being that JBG is looking to play his team mates in and provide for them and a shot at goal is a bonus for him whereas Eagles appears to be playing more for himself.
    My views and comments on Watt are broadly positive.

His mobility, imo, is poor. He's OK when facing the right way, and is hard to knock off the ball, but he can not drop his shoulder, and leave an opposition player for dead.

He DOESN'T win headers. In fact I can hardly remember seeing him jump for the ball. That is left to Igor, who is probably 4" shorter than him.

As I said, I am looking forward to him having a full pre-season.

Are we a better team with him? Yes. Is he the finished article? No. Can he improve? Yes.

He, Bulot and JBG are players that get fans on the edge of their seats. The three of them are worth the season ticket price.

I just want him to be BETTER!
  • Henderson - 8
    Solly - 7
    Gomez - 7
    TBH - 6.5
    Fox - 6.5
    Eagles - 6
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens - 8
    Bulot - 6.5
    Watt - 7
    Vetokele - 6.5
    Cousins - 7
    Gudmundsson - 8
  • Henderson - 7.5 Penalty save more than atones for getting caught on the ball earlier
    Solly - 7
    Gomez - 7
    TBH - 7
    Fox - 6 some poor passing under no real pressure but good defensively
    Eagles - 6
    Buyens - 7.5
    Bulot - 7
    Watt - 7
    Vetokele - 6.5
    Cousins - 6.5
    Gudmundsson - 7.5 MOTM purely because his arrival spurred others to raise their game to match
  • Henderson 8
    Solly 7
    Gomez 7.5
    TBH 6.5
    Fox 6.5
    Eagles 6
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 8
    Bulot 7.5
    Watt 6.5
    Vetokele 6.5
    Cousins 6.5
    Gudmundsson 7.5

• edited April 2015

purdis said:

Henderson - 8 Another classy display from our number 1. Great penalty save, and ALMOST saved their goal. People talk about his mistake, but I'm not sure it he is the one demanding a back pass when Morrison is buzzing around like a demented wasp. Had an instrumental part in the winning goal.

Solly - 6 Solid, without much support from his supposed winger in the first half. But should have the captaincy taken away from him. He shows no capacity for the role. There was a spell in the 2nd half when there was a long break for an injury to a Leeds player. We were 1-0 down at the time, and a proper captain would have called a huddle, and given the team a right telling off. I'm sure Jacko would have. Solly just let the team do their own thing.

Gomez - 7.5 What a player! I do a double take sometimes, when I am reminded he is only 17. More difficult for him, playing on the left side, without the organisational strength of Johnson along side him. But won header after header, and showed great skill and passing when bringing the ball out from the back. This kid really is going all the way.
    TBH - 6 Where has the TBH of early to mid season gone? He didn't play badly, but not his commanding, organising self.

Fox - 5.5 Very good first half, but really fell away in the second. His passing was so bad in the 2nd, my mate shouted "Have you got a bet on Leeds?" This also had the very deleterious effect of reducing the threat of Bulot. Still in credit from his recent good performances.

Eagles - 4 ????. If this was his attempt at playing for a contract, I have no idea what he was doing. Spent a lot of the game drifting inside (on both wings) leaving his fall back exposed. Also showed a terrible lack of desire, spending a lot of his time on the pitch either stationery, or strolling about. Inexcusable for a player wanting a career at the club.

Diarra n/a

Buyens - 8 MOTM Charlton's game plan was severely disrupted by the early loss of Diarra. This meant that the team had to re-adjust the way they played. Yoni went deeper, started to win tackles, and got the team moving again. Excellent penalty, as always. I record shows we are a much better team with him, than without him. I would love to make his move to the Valley permanent.

Bulot - 6.5 A real threat in the first half. His pace was a thorn in the side of the Leeds defence. Hit one brilliant cross in the first half, only to see neither of the two strikers make any sort of move to get on the end of it. Eagles could learn a lot from watching the defensive work that Fred puts in. For me, I would much rather see Bulot sign permanently, than we give a contract to Eagles.

Watt - 6 A decent goal, but seemed to be playing musical statues for a lot of the game. I am getting more and more concerned about his lack of mobility. He doesn't win headers, nor does he seem able to hold the ball up. Still an exciting player to watch, and looks the best finisher we have. Looking forward to see improvements when he has a full pre-season.

Vetokele - 5.5 Igor now looks jaded, and in need of a rest. Good work to win the penalty, but looks like he can't wait for the season to end. I HAVE NO DOUBT THAT WE WILL SEE A REINVIGORATED IGOR NEXT SEASON. He has had a long hard season, often carrying the only strike threat that we have had.

Cousins - 7 I was surprised he was left out of the original team, but I could see what Guy was trying to do. The injury to Diarra caused Charlton to have to adjust to a new system, and Jordan's energy was part of that. As the opposition tires, Jordan's influence gets stronger and stronger. Covers every blade of grass, and was fundamental in allowing Buyens to dictate the play. He can look back on having a very good first full season. I would make him vice captain now. I consider him far better leadership material than Solly.

Gudmundsson - 8 If he had played the full 90 minutes, would almost certainly been man of the match. A hand in both our goals. The Football League show rarely gets things right about Charlton, but whoever covered our game, said that Charlton's game plan in the 2nd half revolved about getting the ball to Johann. Which we did. Which he made work. The neuro surgeon around which the rest of the operating team works. Class. Absolute class!

Luzon - 9 Another top notch performance from the Head Coach. Obviously trying to hide JBG from the circling vultures of Premiership scouts, and giving the likes of Ben Haim and Eagles an opportunity to prove they are worth a contract. But when it isn't working, has no qualms about changing things. I am really looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full pre-season, and building the squad in his image. Also like the fact that he gave all the credit to the players after the game, and claimed none for himself.

Good summary and observations.

Agree with everything except on Tony Watt.
    He can do all the things you suggest he should be doing but for some reason he and Igor have yet to gel, Igor gets frustrated and becomes too static so Watt makes more and more individual runs and it makes him look greedy. If Luzon can get those two to gel and feed each other it will be a real winner.
    Watt is everything I would look for in a striker at this level and I expect him to move up to the next level if his mindset allows - certainly has the ability - a bit like a young David Nugent but I think better.

A pal of mine at Bolton was surprised we'd signed Eagles on a short term (or on any term).
    He said that he's a poser who doesn't like being tackled, can't tackle or defend, himself (as you point out) and spends most of the time walking round posing.
    Eagles can certainly play and showed some good pace and movement coming forward first half and maybe he can do a job.

One thing's for sure is that Watt & Igor were different players when JBG replaced Eagles - the difference being that JBG is looking to play his team mates in and provide for them and a shot at goal is a bonus for him whereas Eagles appears to be playing more for himself.
    he can not drop his shoulder, and leave an opposition player for dead.
    um...
  • Henderson 8
    Solly 6
    Fox 6
    Gomez 6
    Ben Haim 6
    Eagles 5
    Buyens 6
    Cousins 6
    Bulot 6
    Watt 6
    Vetokele 6
    Gudmundsson 8
  • Henderson - 8
    Solly - 5
    Gomez - 7
    TBH - 6
    Fox - 5
    Eagles - 5
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens - 6
    Bulot - 5
    Watt - 6
    Vetokele - 6
    Cousins - 7
    Gudmundsson - 8
  • Henderson 8
    Solly 6.5
    Gomez 7
    TBH 6.5
    Fox 6
    Eagles 6
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 7.5
    Bulot 7
    Watt 6.5
    Vetokele 6
    Cousins 6.5
    Gudmundsson 8
  • Sponsored links:

• Your scores please, boys and girls

Henderson 9
    Solly 6.5
    Gomez 8
    TBH 8
    Fox 6.5
    Eagles 6
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 8
    Bulot 6.5
    Watt 6
    Vetokele 6
    Cousins 7.5
    Gudmonsson 8

• Henderson 8 My vote pre the game for POTY, once again showed why he deserves it.
    Solly 7 Not a bad afternoons work, plenty of energy
    Gomez 7 Quality
    TBH 6.5 Loses half for their penalty, fortunately Henderson bailed him out
    Fox 6 Small step back from a player who is slowly improving, nice pass to KM in directors box
    Eagles 5.5 Didn't really seem to get into it
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 7 never looks like he is going to miss a pen. Hope he stays.
    Bulot 6.5 Started well forgot about him by the end
    Watt 7 Got nothing from the ref, great finish.
    Vetokele 6.5 huffed and puffed, but generally to no effect
    Cousins 6.5 Not bad, first touch is poor
    Gudmundsson 8 Changed the game, must stay, bet he goes.
  • 8 for Henderson and JBG. All the others - 20. That's SPF20 cos they were already on holiday.
  • edited April 2015
    Henderson 7 (extra mark for the penalty save)

The Rest 6 (Very hard to differentiate between them)
  • edited April 2015

ashley said:

Quote" rel="SheedyCAFC">Henderson 8.5 MOM
    Solly 8 - his best game in a Charlton shirt in months, grew into the game.
    Gomez 7.5 - won countless amounts of headers
    TBH 6 - didn't do too bad, done his job
    Fox 8 - played very well today
    Eagles 6 - worthy of a contract for a player that's ok but doesn't stand out? errr...
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 7.5 - he has his penalties for breakfast
    Bulot 6 - nothing special today
    Watt 7 - I love Anthony Watt
    Vetokele 5 - awful, what's happened to him?
    Cousins 6 - didn't do too bad
    Gudmundsson 8.5 - game changer

Everyone is entitled to their view and of course I respect yours but can you please help me to understand why you are saying that you think that Fox played very well today ? I thought that he was quite poor : he was slow getting up and down his wing , his crossing and general distribution were disappointing ,he regularly lost out in the tackle,he was by passed by his opponent and one moment in the second half was shocking when he shanked the ball into touch with absolutely no one pressing him .perhaps you saw things that I did not and if so I am really interested to know what they were.
    Don't get me wrong; I've been critical of Fox in the past, so I really tried my best today to spot his errors but I thought his first half performance in-perticular was very good, I remember him doing the basics pretty well. His passing and crossing was pretty good and so was his positioning. Bit quiet second half but I think he deserves a bit of credit, obviously this is just my opinion but I'd have him over Wiggins every day!

Not intending to criticise and my only reason for commenting is that I felt Solly had one of his worst games in contrast to you.

I could be wrong and you could be right.

My point being a classic example of how we all see it differently.

EDIT: Sorry should really have quoted Ashley rather than you but the point stands.

FURTHER EDIT: I was right in the first place!
  • Henderson 8
    Solly 7
    Gomez 7
    TBH 6
    Fox 7
    Eagles 6
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 7
    Bulot 6
    Watt 7
    Vetokele 4 get a touch
    Cousins 6
    Gudmundsson 9 MOM
  • Henderson 9
    Solly 6
    Gomez 7
    TBH 7
    Fox 6
    Eagles 6
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 7
    Bulot 7
    Watt 7
    Vetokele 6
    Cousins 7
    Gudmundsson 8
  • Henderson 8
    Solly 7
    Gomez 8.5
    TBH 7
    Fox 7
    Eagles 5.5
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 7.5
    Bulot 8.5
    Watt 7
    Vetokele 5.5
    Cousins 6.5
    Gudmundsson 8.5
  • Henderson - 8: commanded his area as usual and an excellent penalty save. It would have been hard to come back from 2-0 down
    Solly - 6: did ok
    Gomez - 7: another very sound and classy performance. He just glides over the turf
    TBH - 6.5: looked a bit rusty in the first half but improved
    Fox - 6: a couple of very good crosses and generally fine, save for that comedic pass into touch the second half
    Eagles - 5.5: continues to look a bit lightweight
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens - 8.5: MoM - back to the form he showed at the start of the season. Will be hard to replace if he leaves
    Bulot - 6.5: some good moments in the first half. Quick feet and works hard
    Watt - 6.5: an excellent finish but generally looked a bit off the pace. In fairness, he was up against a very good centre half
    Vetokele - 5: another poor performance, although he did well to win the penalty
    Cousins - 7: a weak first half, during which we were outnumbered in midfield and a little overrun. Much better in the second and he really drove us on towards the end of the game, as Leeds started to flag
    Gudmundsson - 8: turned the game. Our best flair player since Andy Reid
  • Henderson 8, kept us in the game.
    Solly 6
    Gomez 7
    TBH 6
    Fox 6
    Eagles 5
    Diarra n/a 5
    Buyens 6
    Bulot 6
    Watt 7 for the goal
    Vetokele 5
    Cousins 6
    Gudmundsson 6
    as you can see, felt the team did not perform that well against a make shift Leeds team.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2015
    Henderson 9
    Solly 7
    Gomez 8
    TBH 8
    Fox 7
    Eagles 6
    Buyens 7
    Bulot 7
    Watt 7
    Vetokele 6
    Cousins 6
    Gudmundsson 7 Didn't look interested but made both goals.
  • Henderson 7
    Solly 6
    Gomez 7.5
    TBH 7
    Fox 7
    Eagles 5
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 8
    Bulot 6.5
    Watt 7
    Vetokele 6
    Cousins 7
    Gudmundsson 7.5
  • Henderson 8
    Solly 7
    Gomez 8
    TBH 7
    Fox 7
    Eagles 5
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 8
    Bulot 7
    Watt 6
    Vetokele 6
    Cousins 8
    Gudmundsson 8.5 MOM
  • Henderson 7
    Solly 6
    Gomez 8
    TBH 7
    Fox 5.5
    Eagles 6
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 6.5
    Bulot 7
    Watt 7.5
    Vetokele 6
    Cousins 6
    Gudmundsson 8
  • Henderson - 8 class
    Solly 6
    Gomez 7
    TBH 6
    Fox 5
    Eagles 5
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 7
    Bulot 6
    Watt 6
    Vetokele 4 shadow of his early season self
    Cousins 6
    Gudmundsson 8 changed game
  • Henderson 7.5
    Solly 6
    Gomez 7
    TBH 7
    Fox 6.5
    Eagles 6
    Buyens 7
    Bulot 7
    Watt 7
    Vetokele 6.5
    Cousins 7
    Gudmundsson 8
  • Henderson - 8.5 - terrible kicking first half, what a save from the penalty though.
    Solly - 6.5
    Gomez - 7.5 - pure class
    TBH - 5
    Fox - 6 - one great cross and one woeful pass
    Eagles - 5 - Good option but not in a 4 man midfield
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens - 8 - looked class today, managed to find more space
    Bulot - 6
    Watt - 7
    Vetokele - 5
    Cousins - 6.5
    Gudmundsson - 9 - game changer

• Henderson 7
    Solly 5
    Gomez 6.5
    TBH 6
    Fox 6.5
    Eagles 6.5
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens 6.5
    Bulot 8
    Watt 5.5
    Vetokele 5
    Cousins 7
    Gudmundsson 8
  • edited April 2015
    Henderson - 7.5
    Solly - 7
    Gomez - 7
    TBH - 6
    Fox - 7
    Eagles 5
    Diarra n/a
    Buyens - 8 MOM
    Bulot - 7
    Watt - 7
    Vetokele - 6
    Cousins - 6
    Gudmundsson - 8
  • edited April 2015
    Can a moderator please remove all of Dazzler21's flags in this thread as a completely specious attempt to police the thread