Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• So who is surprised that our ground is better than Millwalls? Hardly a revelation is it!
  • What a load of nonsense. Most of the new soulless ones at the top, the.ikea of craven Cottage, Elland Rd etc should be higher. Great, proper football stands. Seems to be focused on leg room and quality of food offering!
  • What a load of nonsense. Most of the new soulless ones at the top, the.ikea of craven Cottage, Elland Rd etc should be higher. Great, proper football stands. Seems to be focused on leg room and quality of food offering!

This is often quoted but I don't know what it means. Please can you define soulless in this context ?
  • Vicarage Road so high? Blimey.
  • Hillsborough 21st lolz.

Watford is so high because one of the criteria they used was 'massive Elton John quotations'.
  • I can't argue with that list to much but I would have thought Carrow Road would have been near the top. I always enjoy a trip up there.
  • I can't argue with that list to much but I would have thought Carrow Road would have been near the top. I always enjoy a trip up there.

There's always a beam in the way when I go to Carrow Road.

Surveys like this have me scratching my head.

What constitutes a bad/good ground etc etc etc.

Arguably Hillsborough must be one of the better grounds in the country, look where that is in the table.

• Vicarage Road is sub standard to say the least and you can't buy a bev, can't believe that it is higher than The Valley.
  • CHG said:

Vicarage Road is sub standard to say the least and you can't buy a bev, can't believe that it is higher than The Valley.

I rest my case.
  • Sponsored links:

• I take issue with their use of the term survey. "A survey is an investigation about the characteristics of a given population by means of collecting data from a sample of that population and estimating their characteristics through the systematic use of statistical methodology". I can't see how some Builder's Merchant listing all the grounds and putting most of the new builds at the top is anything like a survey. Still, hard to dispute that the toolbox should be near the bottom of the pile.
  • Hex said:

What a load of nonsense. Most of the new soulless ones at the top, the.ikea of craven Cottage, Elland Rd etc should be higher. Great, proper football stands. Seems to be focused on leg room and quality of food offering!

This is often quoted but I don't know what it means. Please can you define soulless in this context ?
    A lot of new stadiums just look the same, flat pack, IKEA stadiums. Paint them in a different colour to differentiate then stick them somewhere out of town where land is cheap. Personally, I enjoy trips to grounds like The Cottage which is unique, or somewhere like QPR which is a dump with I leg room but built around houses and just suddenly appears. Not against modernisation but I do like the nostalgia of travelling to an old ground which has a bit more character that's all.
  • Goodison and Hillsborough for character. Emirates and City of Manchester for new.
  • Did some stewarding at Hillsborough back in the day, always like trips back. Only been to Goodison once, we won 1-0 so also fond memories!
  • Rotherham, second, really? It was nice, but definitely not top two in the division, and vicarage road above the valley, don't think so...
  • Suppose all a matter of opinion... I love at Brentford! Boozer on every corner and terraces
  • Our ground is ok with the new stand but pretty poor for away fans compared to yours for example..

Certainly not the 4th best!
  • For away fans, Wigan really good. Plenty of outlets, TVs virtually everywhere. It's bottoms of that league!!! Compare it with Wendies. Absolute shite. Poor facilities and not a TV to be seen. Hudders not much better.
  • I guess everyone has different views on what makes a ground good.
    Atmosphere, history, pubs/town centre close proximity, ground with a football feel to it for me.
    Norwich, Brentford, Sheff Wed, Forest etc
  • Love the old grounds - tragic that West Ham are leaving one of the best grounds (although much changed) to play at Stratford - big mistake IMHO.
  • Sponsored links:

• I guess everyone has different views on what makes a ground good.
    Atmosphere, history, pubs/town centre close proximity, ground with a football feel to it for me.
    Norwich, Brentford, Sheff Wed, Forest etc

Agree with Norwich and Forest, I would add Ipswich and Pompey too - I even loved The Dell and that was a right dump.
  • Find it hard to disagree with this list. Rotherham's New York Stadium is a cross between the Nou Camp and the San Siro. I haven't been to Derby's new iPro stadium but assume it's a huge improvement over the kit form Pride Park. Hillsborough has seen better days but I'm guessing the similar thread on the We are Fooking Massive message board runs to ten times the length of this one.
  • Find it hard to disagree with this list. Rotherham's New York Stadium is a cross between the Nou Camp and the San Siro. I haven't been to Derby's new iPro stadium but assume it's a huge improvement over the kit form Pride Park. Hillsborough has seen better days but I'm guessing the similar thread on the We are Fooking Massive message board runs to ten times the length of this one.

agreed, Rotherham and the iPro are lovely grounds for access, catering and general viewing of the pitch, albeit that the New York is VERY small.
    I'm surprised that Bolton and Wigan are so far down the list .. Wigan the worst ground in the Championship ? (but not for much longer) .. four letters .. TOSH
  • edited April 2015
    I think the away end is not as nice as the home areas - which is how it should be. I think the Valley has a lot of character and would have it higher. Surprised Watford is so high and to be honest Millwall is so low.
  • I always liked elland road, nice ground with nice facilities. I went through a stage where I used to judge grounds on the amount of ladies toilets they had, ever since we played Wimbledon at selhurst and the queue for the ladies was so long that myself and a friend took over one of the many men's loos and stopped the men going in so as to let some of the women actually see some of the 2nd half.

Loftus road once never had any ladies toilets and expected us to use a lone porta loo which stunk to high heaven. Yet men had real ones.

Goodison park was one of the best and anfield one of the worse.
  • Rotherham, second, really? It was nice, but definitely not top two in the division, and vicarage road above the valley, don't think so...

I hope you don't mind... I hope you don't mind...

The iPro is Pride Park. It is just naming rights....
  • edited April 2015
    I expected to see Portman Road in the top 5, at least.
    Two virtually brand new stands, the rest upgraded, a capacity of over 30,000.
    It is 3 minutes from the station, 2-3 minutes from shops, restaurants and the recently upgraded and now up market Marina.
    The fans may not be over vocal but is this 'survey' based on atmosphere or the ability to stage a high class football match?
    Portman Road and Carrow Road are both Premiership stadiums.
  • Ross said:

Find it hard to disagree with this list. Rotherham's New York Stadium is a cross between the Nou Camp and the San Siro. I haven't been to Derby's new iPro stadium but assume it's a huge improvement over the kit form Pride Park. Hillsborough has seen better days but I'm guessing the similar thread on the We are Fooking Massive message board runs to ten times the length of this one.

Whooooosshhh!
  • IAIA
    edited April 2015

Ross said:

Find it hard to disagree with this list. Rotherham's New York Stadium is a cross between the Nou Camp and the San Siro. I haven't been to Derby's new iPro stadium but assume it's a huge improvement over the kit form Pride Park. Hillsborough has seen better days but I'm guessing the similar thread on the We are Fooking Massive message board runs to ten times the length of this one.

Whooooosshhh!
    Yeah and the ground Rotherham's is like is actually called the Camp Nou ;-)