Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dulwich Hamlet v Maidstone United - Sat

Huge game Saturday as a win will see Maidstone win the league and gain promotion to the Conference South, but I believe Dulwich still needs points to guarantee the play-offs.

Maidstone have sold our initial 700, with an extra 200 being made available, in addition to those who have bought from Dulwich - incredible numbers for the 7th tier. I understand that it's still un-segregated though, despite being all-ticket?

Can any Hamlet regulars recommened any decent pubs in the area? And what is the best station to arrive at in that respect? I know Dulwich East is nearer to the ground than Denmark Hill, but where are the better pubs? As Denmark Hill is a slighly quicker journey for us too. My last visit was by road and we drank in the clubhouse, but I suspect that will be rammed this time.

And yes this does mean i'm not going to Charlton v Leeds before anyone asks.

Cheers.

Comments

• why aren't you going to Char...
  • Flying Pig is the best pub in Dulwich now - tons of different beers so if you're with the boys check it out. We did a crawl round Peckham/Dulwich before the Millwall game and the lads loved it. If you walk there from the station you'll also go past the East Dulwich Tavern which is a local landmark and well worth a visit. If you are in good spirits afterwards you could head into Peckham, the local Brick Brewery under the railway arches has a bar that's open on Saturdays - it's not fancy but the beers excellent.
  • Yep east dulwich station is literally next to it. It's all quite exciting, they've got a sainsburys and a car wash too. Quite a few good pubs on lordship lane which would work if you went to ED. East dulwich tavern (EDT) as mentioned is a nice pub (also the closest one on lordship lane) so probably best bet there. If you're going from Denmark hill, you've not got too much choice apart from a wetherspoons (fox on the hill) or the one next to the station. The fox has a huge pub garden which is usually quite busy if it's a nice day. If you want to venture a little bit out of the way then I recommend the Gowlett, not too far from the EDT. The Dulwich fans love it; play good music, have the footy on, good atmosphere and they do 'the best pizzas in south' according to my mate.
  • edited April 2015
    I went to The Cherry Tree before Millwall, its turn right outside East Dulwich station, cross the road and its on your left. Was nice pub with good range of beers. As you are showing such disloyalty to Charlton I hope Maidstone lose :wink:
  • I believe Dulwich have to win one of their last two games to guarantee the playoffs (however they work, whenever they're played). I certainly want to go to those play off games (if they make it) for a bit of end of season buzz.
  • seth plum said:

I believe Dulwich have to win one of their last two games to guarantee the playoffs (however they work, whenever they're played). I certainly want to go to those play off games (if they make it) for a bit of end of season buzz.

Not sure of the dates but I believe that the play offs are one off games 2nd v 4th, 3rd v 5th. the final is played at the ground of the team that finished highest up the table. I am fairly sure thats what has happened in the past.
  • Kap10 said:

seth plum said:

I believe Dulwich have to win one of their last two games to guarantee the playoffs (however they work, whenever they're played). I certainly want to go to those play off games (if they make it) for a bit of end of season buzz.

Not sure of the dates but I believe that the play offs are one off games 2nd v 4th, 3rd v 5th. the final is played at the ground of the team that finished highest up the table. I am fairly sure thats what has happened in the past.
    More or less correct Kap and the dates are as follows:

Thursday 30th April 2015
    The Ryman League Play Offs 14-15 - Semi Finals - Premier
    2nd Place vs 5th Place 19:45
    3rd Place vs 4th Place 19:45

Monday 4th May 2015
    The Ryman League Play Offs 14-15 - Final - Premier
    TBC vs TBC 15:00
  • edited April 2015

Huge game Saturday as a win will see Maidstone win the league and gain promotion to the Conference South, but I believe Dulwich still needs points to guarantee the play-offs.

Maidstone have sold our initial 700, with an extra 200 being made available, in addition to those who have bought from Dulwich - incredible numbers for the 7th tier. I understand that it's still un-segregated though, despite being all-ticket?

Can any Hamlet regulars recommened any decent pubs in the area? And what is the best station to arrive at in that respect? I know Dulwich East is nearer to the ground than Denmark Hill, but where are the better pubs? As Denmark Hill is a slighly quicker journey for us too. My last visit was by road and we drank in the clubhouse, but I suspect that will be rammed this time.

And yes this does mean i'm not going to Charlton v Leeds before anyone asks.

Cheers.

A lot of people go straight to the ground and drink in the bar there, though that might be a stretch for 700 of you.

East Dulwich is closer - and as previous poster said, Flying Pig is good, as is East Dulwich Tavern, (but both in the other direction to the ground, I think) but if you're coming in to Denmark Hill, there's a pub at the front of the station, the Phoenix, I think it's called. There's the Fox on the Hill nearby too. I wouldn't normally recommend a Wetherspoon pub but if you like your ale, it's surprisingly good. iIt was nominated for SE London Camra pub of the year and has a cracking garden for a pint in the sunshine.
  • Thanks for all the advice - still can't decide between the two stations! If the weather is like today then the Fox on the Hill sounds good for the Denmark Hill route, otherwise I get the feeling ED has the better pubs (Gowlett, Flying Pig, EDT, Cherry tree etc).