Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help!! Dealing without watching Charlton whilst working abroad!

I am meant to be working abroad in:

Spain: July 2015-October 2015
Ski season in France: December 2015-April 2016
Turkey: May 2016-November 2016

With potentially another ski season December 2016-April 2017 after that.

How do you deal with that?

I've only know going to The Valley every two weeks since I was born?!

Obviously Charlton Life is a great tool (thanks AFKA and Lookie :-) )

But I don't know how I will deal with just that and Pete and Terry, despite how good they are!

So my question to all those exiled Addicks ... is how they do it?!

However sad it sounds I wonder what I'll do! It's all I've known...

Comments

• The answer is in your post: Charlton Life and CAFC Player lol...

Seriously, it's indeed difficult. However, nowadays we have about four games covered live on TV each season (more if we do well in both Cups) so it won't be like some kind of total cut-off for you. And the Match thread and Post Match Views thread on here are of great help if you want to know all the details of a game, how the team has performed etc. In fact I don't read any match reports after a game. I just come on here and read the posts in the Post Match thread as it's got all I want to know about the game.

So basically this is the place you will rely on greatly and feel the most connection with.

Maybe I haven't really given a solution you'd have liked but anyway that's how I 'do it' lol... Good luck with your work and hope you enjoy your time there. :smile:
  • I am meant to be working abroad in:

But I don't know how I will deal with just that and Pete and Terry, despite how good they are!

So my question to all those exciled Addicks ... is how they do it?!

Exiled

;)
  • edited April 2015
    Some people claim to be able to watch most Charlton games on their TV channels, (even when we were in League 1?!), so I am sure you will get used to stacking up a few cold beers with a couple of disinterested locals or fellow expats and following on CL, BBC, local radio etc. It can become an enjoyablえ habit of it`s own!
    When I was in Turkey going to Turkish games, then getting to a bar to watch/listen to Charlton (depending on the time differences) was a great routine. I'm sure you will find your own routine!
    Enjoy the new experience!
  • Just imagine that we are in the later days under Bob Peeters when half of Charlton's supporters were saying they had lost interest, the football was crap, they weren't going to renew season tickets and will never watch another game until Roland's gone.

But seriously, you'll survive. Player, CL, the odd TV game, the occasional stream.
  • Sometimes you will be truly thankful you didn't go to a game
  • Charlton life is my savior. I lived in sa since 95 and we were not on tv that much. During the premiership years it was a bit better. This year I've been able to watch a couple of games are we've been on. Only get home every 4 or 5 years and not always during the season but head for the valley as soon as I can. Thank god for CL, even my wife puts up with my addiction
  • Cheers guys.

I'm sure I'll make do, but it was just something I thought of after realising I will be missing my third game in a row on holiday and even that feels strange!

So my question to all those exciled Addicks ... is how they do it?!

Exiled

;)
    F*ck.
  • Yep, when you put it like that ... :-)

I should add though, I don't doubt I will have the most amazing time!
  • Sponsored links:

• Been in France now ten years so CL is my best link unless I can find a decent stream (unusual) and the comments on the wall page of CAFCUK are worth tracking during a match. Then of course the 6 seconds we get on the FL show, normally the last game shown.
    Good luck in your new venture
  • CL and CAFCPlayer, it's rough when times are good (the league one winning season was my first in China) and you can be quite thankful when times are bad.

Luckily the commentary has got A LOT better, gone are the days of listening random jibbahjabbah and having no idea what is going on "Oh those are lovely red boots he's wearing.... Oh what a great goal!!!!!!...... They really are lovely boots" Yeah, cheers Emma.

You'll be over the moon the 3/4 times a season you can actually watch a live stream, then, if you have my luck, your internet will crap out 5 minutes into the game leaving you to cry into a nice cold beer.

I came back to England for 3 months at the end of last year, my first game back being Bolton at home, what a run that was.....
  • If it gets too bad maybe you could go out on the piste :smile:
  • *Puts on Old Gits hat*

I lived in Egypt and Hong Kong from 1987 to 1991. Especially in Egypt I sometimes didn't get the scores for a couple of days or more. You will have a fantastic time abroad and if we have a big game you can throw a sicky and jump on a plane.

*Takes off hat, goes for lie down*
  • Since it sound like you'll be in tourist areas, there's a good chance you'll find a pub run by British or Irish people who have invested in a huge satellite and receivers so that they can show any English game which any obscure channel decides to broadcast. if we have a better season next year we might be on quite a lot.

In the last couple of years I was able to enjoy in a pub us ending Huddersfield's run, as well as enduring the awful home defeat to Millwall last season, the Sheffield United cup fiasco, and this season the spanking at Fulham. On second thoughts are you sure you'd not rather just forget Charlton and enjoy your new surroundings?
  • I'm just returning from 2 years exiled in cote d'azur ( there can be worse places!). I have befriended some bar owners who will occasionally play charlton matches if there is nothing else on, or it is a big match. Streams are often available, and probably as frustrating as being live. I plan trips home to coincide with decent games, just been thwarted once by postponement due to bad weather. Looks like you will be in good places, so enjoy.

I hope your flight to Turkey in May isn't until at least the 29th !
  • se9addick said:

I'll start work on the first ...

Is the 29th cup final day? If so I may need to reconsider because next season is going to be our season, I can feel it in my bones ... :-)

• Charlton life is my savior. I lived in sa since 95 and we were not on tv that much. During the premiership years it was a bit better. This year I've been able to watch a couple of games are we've been on. Only get home every 4 or 5 years and not always during the season but head for the valley as soon as I can. Thank god for CL, even my wife puts up with my addiction

AF, you're in CT arent you?. Whereabouts?
    I'm looking to maybe re-emigrate back in the next 12 months (my kids live there) - maybe we could meet up for a beer or two,in say, The Waterfront when Charlton are on tv next season?
  • Those of you saying you watch stream often, would you mind posting the links on here in the future, as I only manage to find 4/5 games (at best) a season.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:

I'll start work on the first ...

Is the 29th cup final day? If so I may need to reconsider because next season is going to be our season, I can feel it in my bones ... :-)

Playoff final mate.

Of course we'll be going up automatically, but just in case...